Will a full width window look odd from the inside

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous thread, we're converting our garage into a play room.

The cheapest option for this to to have a full width window installed. However, on the inside of the garage there's not going to be much room either side of where the window will sit, approx 3cm one side and 5cm the other side. So by time plasterboard is fitted it's going to sit pretty much flush with where the window will begin (see attached) - Option 1
I can't say i've seen this before anywhere and think it might look odd?

Alternatively, the only other solution is when the upvc window is created to have thicker edges of either side of the upvc window and pack it out a bit with wooden battens and plasterboard on the inner wall sections (if upvc companies even offer this option?) - Option 2

Attachments

• option1.jpg
    option1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
  • option2.jpg
    option2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
Option 3: brick infill and fit a narrower window. If a jobs worth doing it’s worth doing properly. This is your home, don’t compromise what you want to save a few hundred quid.

Personally, I'd brick up the bottom bit and get a 'normal' sized window fitted.

Yeah, it'll be more expensive but it will look like a proper job. Depending on how thick the concrete is in the garage it may not need underpinning. You'll have to dig an exploritory hole (ooer!)

There are some houses up here, '80s I think, which have full height windows in the living room and they look bloody awful.

I’m for option 3a which is brick up the sides to give you roughly 30cm to 60cm wall either side of the window. This wall gives you somewhere for curtains to sit whilst open and or somewhere for a wall light.

Whilst I am ver big fan of floor to ceiling windows I think they only work in private setting, I.E. back gardens or areas of the home that are not on show. I’m guessing that as this is garage than anyone walking on the pavement pass the bottom of your drive could easily see into the entire room, hence, brick up from the bottom as well.

I think a floor to wall window will be viewed somewhat negatively by potential buyers and the lack of privacy will reduce overall enjoyment. That said, mine is one opinion and I totally get with these type of jobs that a combination of money and sometimes just speed / mess of the job can be a big influencer.

I’m for option 3a which is brick up the sides to give you roughly 30cm to 60cm wall either side of the window. This wall gives you somewhere for curtains to sit whilst open and or somewhere for a wall light.

Whilst I am ver big fan of floor to ceiling windows I think they only work in private setting, I.E. back gardens or areas of the home that are not on show. I’m guessing that as this is garage than anyone walking on the pavement pass the bottom of your drive could easily see into the entire room, hence, brick up from the bottom as well.

I think a floor to wall window will be viewed somewhat negatively by potential buyers and the lack of privacy will reduce overall enjoyment. That said, mine is one opinion and I totally get with these type of jobs that a combination of money and sometimes just speed / mess of the job can be a big influencer.

Yeh. just to clarify it is just a full width window, it will be bricked up about 1/2 way up (not full height, just full width)

Personally, I would have a bit of wall either side of the window. How much you need will depend on whether yo plan to use curtains or blinds.

Cheers,

Nigel

As per the original question, yes it would look odd from the inside and the outside. I think a house should have a balanced look, meaning that I think you can get away with it if you were to do all your windows like that. But doing just one would look amateur time and not nice. Furthermore, just from the cropped photos above, I don't think it would suit the style of your home. In order for that to 'work', you need an ultra-modern home.

But ultimately it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks, what matters is what you like if you plan to live there for a long time.

Thanks all for the replies. I've got the builder coming to dig down for the foundations next week, so will price up what he'll charge to come in 1 brick either side (so that's about 22cm each side that we will gain and we will have a slightly smaller window (from a 4 column to a 3)

For those curious (or people visiting in the future with similiar scenario) i've actually managed to find some full width windows from the inside
https://convertyourgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IMG_2085opimised.png

Having now seen it i don't think it looks too odd, although the only thing that looks odd there is the service hatch thing, which i assume is boxing in of some electrics.. but not actually as bad as i thought. I think with curtains as mentioned above you'll probably never know.

For those wanting to see how the outside would look - see attached

Attachments

• IMG_0589.PNG
    IMG_0589.PNG
    172.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0590.PNG
    IMG_0590.PNG
    290.5 KB · Views: 57
I misunderstood your question, when mentioning full length window to thought you mean full height I.e floor to ceiling (top to bottom) and not (as I know realise) full width.

I think the window in the second picture above looks fine and, the only reason to add extra bricks would be if you want the extra wall space inside.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom