Will a DVD recorder record 5.1 from Sky+?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ajkean, Sep 5, 2005.

1. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

2 Questions, if you don't mind.

Having long got rid of my S-VHS recorder and now managing with only a Sky+ box, I'd like now to save the odd movie to a disc to free up space on the Sky+ box so that I can record other stuff. I sometimes have a purge and clear most stuff out but it seem that programmes worth recording are like buses, they come all at once and I start running out of space!!!

Anyway...

1. If I've recorded a movie in 5.1 on my Sky+ box and then record it onto a DVD, will it be in 5.1?

2. What is the advantage of having a DVD recorder with a hard drive built in? Please excuse me if this is a daft question, but this will be my first ever DVD recorder purchase.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    1. No, there aren't any DVD recorders which will record 5.1 (Philips have been promising one for a few years, but it's never materialised).

2. You can record stuff in big chunks via RGB from Sky+, then divide them up into individual programs and edit out adverts before saving to DVD. Alternatively, this can be done using a PC machine from a non-HDD recorder - it depends on whether the rest of your household are content with you doing the dividing and editing when they're trying to watch something on TV.

3. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Musukebba. That's a shame, I was hoping someone would say yes to question 1. If they don't record a 5.1 signal I won't bother buying one, I'll just wait until the technology is available. A friend on mine has some software on his computer that allows him to copy DVD's and they come out in full 5.1 - I've got a couple that he did and the quality is pretty impressive! I wonder why the capability it isn't available on the latest DVD recorders???

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Simple bit-for-bit copying on PC is responsible. We'll have to wait still longer (possibly forever) before we see how Philips propose to do it from another CE electronics source.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Copyrights etc too. If you can only get 2 channel stereo from a copy to copy then this discourages piracy apparently.

6. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This guy I know copies DVD's at home on his plain old PC and they are reproduced in 5.1!!! and he's not even a geek! If he can do it on a piece of software that he has got hold of why can't a DVD recorder do it? I can save CD's on my computer and download them to my iPod, what's the difference apart from 3 extra channels?

The only reason I want to be able to do this is so I can free up space on my Sky+ box and watch saved movies at my leisure whilst still being able to record other, non 5.1 programmes of interest (soaps, documentaries, sports etc). It defeats the point of recording a 'movie' broadcast in 5.1 and only being able to play it back in stereo with the system I have. I'd rather not bother, and either hire the DVD or buy it from one of the stores when they have their 6 for £30 offer, or whatever...

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't make the rules dude!! Your non-geek mate may be able to make 5.1 copies, but my mother, grandma, and other generic type users couldn't. They could if the DVD recorders they all have would allow it so I guess that is what is being avoided. Who would buy brand new DVDs if all they had to do was record the movie off Sky+? The same way that VHS sales were never all they could be once people had double-deck VCRs and simply recorded off the telly or borrowed other peoples tapes to copy. Us computer literate types might see it as daft, but think of the *millions* of consumers who don't and would suddenly stop buying DVDs.

I don't particualrly agree with it either, just saying what the studios are all thinking.

8. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I completely understand and agree. I guess my main point is,... if we have the equipment readily available in high street shops that will record a broadcast movie, in colour, in stereo, then it just seems a little controlled not to include the capability to record it as it's broadcast!

To those who don't have 5.1 systems (which are majority), they will buy DVD recorders and record their favourite films and programmes, and then play them back all day long not knowing any better - they are getting exactly what they want and expect.

I don't particularly mind buying the odd DVD that I'm happy to have in my collection, it's just that it would have been convenient to make space on the Sky+ box for other stuff. When I'm busy, I'm busy and stuff starts to build up rapidly, which means I quickly run out of space. Should have gone for the bigger Sky+ box!!!! Mind you, I bought the small one deliberately in anticapation of having to replace it for HDD!!??

Anyway, by the time Sky+ on Movies 1, 2 & 3 broadcast movies they have already been out for a while and no longer the latest thing.

This is my first ever research into recordable DVD's, I was just curious as to what they could/couldn't do. I'd have bought one if they did what I wanted. I guess I'll make do without and put the money towards a mean CD player!

Thanks for replies Liam.

Regards

Ash