Will a Dolby Atmos soundbar work in this room?

mike_armitage

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been looking at soundbars, and most of the new bars seem to be Dolby Atmos these days, but I'm not sure if I'm actually going to get any benefit due to the shape of my ceiling:

lounge.jpg

Height of the ceiling is about 7'9" at the lowest point, and 9'4" at the highest point. Therefore I think the height is acceptable but the fact the ceiling is vaulted might be the issue? It is partly flat though so wondering if I might get away with it?

I do have a 5.1 system currently (note the speakers perched on the back of the sofa), and ideally would like to retain rears of some kind, but having fixed rears in place isn't really an option (too many wires, kids will mess with them, wife doesn't want them). When the room is decorated soon we want everything to be really neat and tidy. I'm not interested in hanging speakers from the ceiling or anything hence a soundbar is really the only option.

I particularly like the look of the JBL Bar 9.1. Having the detachable fully wireless rears looks like a great solution as I can just put them in place when needed. It's obviously expensive though at about £900 so if I'm not going to get any Atmos effect I'm not sure it's worth the money.

Another option is the Sony HT-G700, which has mixed reviews, and I'm skeptical anyone can get any Atmos effect as it has no upward facing drivers. However being half the price of the JBL I'd maybe be less disappointed if there was no Atmos effect as long as it sounded good.

If Atmos isn't going to work then I can see JBL do a version of the BAR 5.1 which also has the detachable rear speakers (JBL Bar 5.1 (Black)), so maybe that seems like a good compromise if the 9.1 isn't going to give any Atmos effect, and would save about £350.

Has anyone out there listed to the Sony HT-G700 and either of the JBL bars who could give an opinion on which would sound best overall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

I think you might be ok as the Atmos height sound should bounce off the middle section of your ceiling and onto your listening point.
Might be worth buying form somewhere with a good returns policy so you can send it back if your not happy with it. :)
For your £900 budget I would see if you can get either the Samsung Q90R or the LG SN11 RG..... both are 7.1.4 sound bars.

With that room, you can easily go for separates lol

With that room, you can easily go for separates lol
Don't go giving Mike any ideas... lol ... actually yes... go for a dedicated setup! :D

haha - believe me, if it was entirely up to me that's exactly what we'd be getting! :D before having a family I had an Onkyo receiver and Kef iQ speakers all round, which sounded amazing, but unfortunately things have changed a bit since then! Also the thought of leaving the kids in a living room full of amazing kit while I'm at work would give me nightmares! Hence going sound bar, minimal wires and everything wall mounted seems the best compromise, for now...

Good suggestion on buying from somewhere that i can return to. It's a bit sketchy morally but I'm sure loads of people do it. As long as I replaced it with something from the same shop I could probably live with myself :rotfl:

haha - believe me, if it was entirely up to me that's exactly what we'd be getting! :D before having a family I had an Onkyo receiver and Kef iQ speakers all round, which sounded amazing, but unfortunately things have changed a bit since then! Also the thought of leaving the kids in a living room full of amazing kit while I'm at work would give me nightmares! Hence going sound bar, minimal wires and everything wall mounted seems the best compromise, for now...

Good suggestion on buying from somewhere that i can return to. It's a bit sketchy morally but I'm sure loads of people do it. As long as I replaced it with something from the same shop I could probably live with myself :rotfl:
I wen't the sound bar route at they are pretty good. However little niggles with them forced me to bite the bullet and go all out on a fully AVR + Speaker setup. :D lol

Boom! Garage Conversion Home Cinema. Dolby Vision & Atmos.

I wen't the sound bar route at they are pretty good. However little niggles with them forced me to bite the bullet and go all out on a fully AVR + Speaker setup. :D lol

Boom! Garage Conversion Home Cinema. Dolby Vision & Atmos.

Wow that does look amazing I have to say. You're giving me ideas now - buy a cheap TV for the living room and convert the garage into a home cinema, then don't let the kids in there! :D

Wow that does look amazing I have to say. You're giving me ideas now - buy a cheap TV for the living room and convert the garage into a home cinema, then don't let the kids in there! :D
Correct... I have a couple of Chubb locks to keep them out and the Jamo D6SUB pumps out enough bass to drown them out! :D lol

Hi

I've been looking at soundbars, and most of the new bars seem to be Dolby Atmos these days, but I'm not sure if I'm actually going to get any benefit due to the shape of my ceiling:

View attachment 1341996

Height of the ceiling is about 7'9" at the lowest point, and 9'4" at the highest point. Therefore I think the height is acceptable but the fact the ceiling is vaulted might be the issue? It is partly flat though so wondering if I might get away with it?

I do have a 5.1 system currently (note the speakers perched on the back of the sofa), and ideally would like to retain rears of some kind, but having fixed rears in place isn't really an option (too many wires, kids will mess with them, wife doesn't want them). When the room is decorated soon we want everything to be really neat and tidy. I'm not interested in hanging speakers from the ceiling or anything hence a soundbar is really the only option.

I particularly like the look of the JBL Bar 9.1. Having the detachable fully wireless rears looks like a great solution as I can just put them in place when needed. It's obviously expensive though at about £900 so if I'm not going to get any Atmos effect I'm not sure it's worth the money.

Another option is the Sony HT-G700, which has mixed reviews, and I'm skeptical anyone can get any Atmos effect as it has no upward facing drivers. However being half the price of the JBL I'd maybe be less disappointed if there was no Atmos effect as long as it sounded good.

If Atmos isn't going to work then I can see JBL do a version of the BAR 5.1 which also has the detachable rear speakers (JBL Bar 5.1 (Black)), so maybe that seems like a good compromise if the 9.1 isn't going to give any Atmos effect, and would save about £350.

Has anyone out there listed to the Sony HT-G700 and either of the JBL bars who could give an opinion on which would sound best overall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike
Dolby atmos from a soundbar is as you realise very room dependant, it may work well it may not. As other correspondents have mentioned to you, internet sales are subject to a 14 days return policy so you can effectivly try before you buy.

There are lots of great soundbars out there, if you are particularly keen on getting atmos are you sure that your tv will allow atmos passthrough, either from your in built tv apps or external devices connected to your tv?

In terms of Atmos bars with rears then:
JBL
SAMSUNG
LG
all offer good solutions.
in a blind listening test there will probably not be a lot between them. They will all be pretty good, not as good obviously as an Atmos seperates system with ceiling speakers but pretty good.

If you dont fancy rear speakers for logistical reasons then:

Samsung
Lg
Sony
Sonos
Canton
B&O stage
All offer good alternatives at varying price points.
I own the Stage so am naturally going to tell you its excellent.

If you decide Atmos isnt for you the best sounding Audiophile bar at reasonable cost would be the Dali Katch one soundbar, closely followed by the blusound Pulse.

To be frank most of todays sound bars at a certain level are technological marvels. Some are built better than others and do offer better quality sound but as mentioned they are all very good .

Hope this helps.

Hi Mike
Dolby atmos from a soundbar is as you realise very room dependant, it may work well it may not. As other correspondents have mentioned to you, internet sales are subject to a 14 days return policy so you can effectivly try before you buy.

There are lots of great soundbars out there, if you are particularly keen on getting atmos are you sure that your tv will allow atmos passthrough, either from your in built tv apps or external devices connected to your tv?

In terms of Atmos bars with rears then:
JBL
SAMSUNG
LG
all offer good solutions.
in a blind listening test there will probably not be a lot between them. They will all be pretty good, not as good obviously as an Atmos seperates system with ceiling speakers but pretty good.

If you dont fancy rear speakers for logistical reasons then:

Samsung
Lg
Sony
Sonos
Canton
B&O stage
All offer good alternatives at varying price points.
I own the Stage so am naturally going to tell you its excellent.

If you decide Atmos isnt for you the best sounding Audiophile bar at reasonable cost would be the Dali Katch one soundbar, closely followed by the blusound Pulse.

To be frank most of todays sound bars at a certain level are technological marvels. Some are built better than others and do offer better quality sound but as mentioned they are all very good .

Hope this helps.

Hi Keith, thanks v much for your reply.

I'm planning to buy a new TV in November time, so will ensure I get one that does Dolby Atmos pass-through. Looking at either the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q85T/Q90T. So the plan is to use eArc to connect the TV to soundbar, and then connect 4K Blu-ray and sky box to the TV. There seems to be some quirks with getting Atmos content from Netflix back to a sound bar, but I'm assuming it's possible with the right settings/firmware updates etc. I usually watch Netflix from within Sky Q and I've not even started looking into how well that will handle Atmos!

I think if I was to go for rears I'd only be interested in the JBL as I don't want any wires behind the sofa. So if I don't go for the JBL then I'd probably want a good quality soundbar without rears.

Interestingly I've just been looking at the B&O stage, it looks like a quality product and without the sub it's even more of a minimal solution which does appeal. A certain retailer has an open-box one in as-new condition for £999 which looks like a bit of a steal as far as I can see! I don't really need to buy right now but it is tempting :D

Will check out those other options too, thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Keith, thanks v much for your reply.

I'm planning to buy a new TV in November time, so will ensure I get one that does Dolby Atmos pass-through. Looking at either the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q85T/Q90T. So the plan is to use eArc to connect the TV to soundbar, and then connect 4K Blu-ray and sky box to the TV. There seems to be some quirks with getting Atmos content from Netflix back to a sound bar, but I'm assuming it's possible with the right settings/firmware updates etc. I usually watch Netflix from within Sky Q and I've not even started looking into how well that will handle Atmos!

I think if I was to go for rears I'd only be interested in the JBL as I don't want any wires behind the sofa. So if I don't go for the JBL then I'd probably want a good quality soundbar without rears.

Interestingly I've just been looking at the B&O stage, it looks like a quality product and without the sub it's even more of a minimal solution which does appeal. A certain retailer has an open-box one in as-new condition for £999 which looks like a bit of a steal as far as I can see! I don't really need to buy right now but it is tempting :D

Will check out those other options too, thanks.
Tysons at a guess , its a good deal as i paid £1250.00 , The amount of bass is phenomenal for an all in one, it goes down to 31hz which is pretty much as good as most subs supplied with most decent soundbars.
The thing ,that impressed me most though was the clarity and dynamics, of course it has limitations, you cannot as a sub or rears.
its great for playing music as well you can connect with blutooth or airplay, using airplay i connect to a couple of Libratone zipps to create music throughout the house.
Goes very loud 550 watts rms, never pushed past 70 on its app. The other consideration is b&o support there products for years and dont change them that often, with the jap/korean stuff they will replace whatever you buy in a few months devaluing your purchase.

Last point i have a samsung 70r, it will do dolby atmos via the app but not via an external source, i think that applies to all there 2019 tvs, i think 2020 should be ok, Sony are more advanced so cant see them been an issue.

Tysons at a guess , its a good deal as i paid £1250.00 , The amount of bass is phenomenal for an all in one, it goes down to 31hz which is pretty much as good as most subs supplied with most decent soundbars.
The thing ,that impressed me most though was the clarity and dynamics, of course it has limitations, you cannot as a sub or rears.
its great for playing music as well you can connect with blutooth or airplay, using airplay i connect to a couple of Libratone zipps to create music throughout the house.
Goes very loud 550 watts rms, never pushed past 70 on its app. The other consideration is b&o support there products for years and dont change them that often, with the jap/korean stuff they will replace whatever you buy in a few months devaluing your purchase.

Yes it was. Do they have those deals often? As I said I don't really need to buy it now as I'd rather wait until I can wall mount it properly, but if's going to save £250 then it's worth buying it and storing it if this sort of deal doesn't come along often.

Support of products is definitely something which appeals. I know with the likes of Sony and Samsung you're really just a number and to get any useful help out of them is virtually impossible. I've read good things about the Sonos Arc and Sonos Beam, but I got stung by Sonos recently as I've got some of the old speakers which now aren't supported (which I bought about a month before the new version came out), so I don't really have any desire to give them any more of my money to be honest!

Yes it was. Do they have those deals often? As I said I don't really need to buy it now as I'd rather wait until I can wall mount it properly, but if's going to save £250 then it's worth buying it and storing it if this sort of deal doesn't come along often.

Support of products is definitely something which appeals. I know with the likes of Sony and Samsung you're really just a number and to get any useful help out of them is virtually impossible. I've read good things about the Sonos Arc and Sonos Beam, but I got stung by Sonos recently as I've got some of the old speakers which now aren't supported (which I bought about a month before the new version came out), so I don't really have any desire to give them any more of my money to be honest!
I cannot tell re Tysons, someone mentioned an open box unit about one month ago, it may be the same unit or another?

Mike - Peter Tyson don't often have an Open Box Stage, so it's worth snapping up now if you have the money.

Mind you, the price is really at the upper end of the all-in-one soundbars, only the Sennheiser Ambeo is more expensive, so you could come back in three months and it's still there!

The great thing about the Stage is that it can either lie flat on a TV stand, or you can wall mount, the sound quality isn't affected in either orientation.

The app's a bit fiddly and it does have a few operational quirks, but the sound quality really is outstanding, as is the build and finish.

@keithwiggins is right - if you just want 3.1 and all the sound in front of you, then it's one of the best on the market right now. I suppose the very best Atmos all-in-one soundbar is the Sennheiser, but it's riddled with bugs and operational issues right now, though I suppose these might get fixed with future software updates.

Good luck!:)

p.s. You'd better take Keith's advice as he will get quite miffed otherwise!;)

Mike - Peter Tyson don't often have an Open Box Stage, so it's worth snapping up now if you have the money.

Mind you, the price is really at the upper end of the all-in-one soundbars, only the Sennheiser Ambeo is more expensive, so you could come back in three months and it's still there!

The great thing about the Stage is that it can either lie flat on a TV stand, or you can wall mount, the sound quality isn't affected in either orientation.

The app's a bit fiddly and it does have a few operational quirks, but the sound quality really is outstanding, as is the build and finish.

@keithwiggins is right - if you just want 3.1 and all the sound in front of you, then it's one of the best on the market right now. I suppose the very best Atmos all-in-one soundbar is the Sennheiser, but it's riddled with bugs and operational issues right now, though I suppose these might get fixed with future software updates.

Now Now, i was merely complaining about ingrates, i have of course moved on.

They also do at a seperate cost the most desirable remote control on the planet, solid aluminium its a joy, but whilst i considered the stage a reasnoble price for a B&O product i simply cannot justify the remote just yet, but may come around to it. I quite like the app as it happens .

They also do at a seperate cost the most desirable remote control on the planet, solid aluminium its a joy, but whilst i considered the stage a reasnoble price for a B&O product i simply cannot justify the remote just yet, but may come around to it. I quite like the app as it happens .
Keep an eye on Ebay for a Beoremote - they sometimes pop up there as an Open Box or ex-dem for around £150.

It is still a ridiculous price for a remote control but you're right, it really is a thing of beauty and I'm glad I got one.

Keep an eye on Ebay for a Beoremote - they sometimes pop up there as an Open Box or ex-dem for around £150.

It is still a ridiculous price for a remote control but you're right, it really is a thing of beauty and I'm glad I got one.
colour me green!

I cannot tell re Tysons, someone mentioned an open box unit about one month ago, it may be the same unit or another?

It is really tempting to pull the trigger on the open box stage but I feel like I'd be rushing into it a bit if I bought now. The JBL Bar 9.1 still ticks a lot of boxes with the wireless rears and sub etc. I imagine it would give more of an enveloping sound, but at the expense of sound quality compared to the B&O. Torn between the two at the moment, and with no realistic way to hear either of them before buying it's a tough decision!

£150/£200 for a remote! I'm sure it's a thing of beauty but quite funny that most other manufacturers will sell you an actual sound bar that costs less than that :rotfl:

It is really tempting to pull the trigger on the open box stage but I feel like I'd be rushing into it a bit if I bought now. The JBL Bar 9.1 still ticks a lot of boxes with the wireless rears and sub etc. I imagine it would give more of an enveloping sound, but at the expense of sound quality compared to the B&O. Torn between the two at the moment, and with no realistic way to hear either of them before buying it's a tough decision!

£150/£200 for a remote! I'm sure it's a thing of beauty but quite funny that most other manufacturers will sell you an actual sound bar that costs less than that :rotfl:
yep thats B&O pricing in general. The soundbar is quite a coup for them at the price its at, most people expected it to be 2k plus and in the flesh it looks worth that, but i think they priced it very strategically to capture a far larger audience that what there products would normally attract.
I as mentioned dont use or need the remote, but quite fancy one eventually, the app though is very comprehensive is free and works really well. If you add other B&O gear it will operate that as well. The way i would look at it is, a Stage with 20% off vs a JBL at pretty much full wonga.

This is actually quite a tricky dilemma.

On the one hand you have the proven build quality and performance of the B&O, but it doesn't do Surround. On the other you have the JBL which does and is likely to be much more immersive, even if its ultimate sound quality doesn't match the B&O.

You did start your Thread asking whether Atmos would work in your room, and the general consensus is it will. I must emphasise that Atmos is actually quite a subtle effect as film/TV makers don't have non-stop sounds emanating above your head, it's mixed much more sparingly and with more nuance than that.

Obviously it's your choice based on what you want. But I can't help feeling that if you get the Stage, you might always be wishing you'd gone for the JBL and it's 5.1.4 sound. But if you get the JBL, I doubt very much you'd regret doing so as you're already familiar with that type of sound, though you might always wonder about the Stage's sound quality.

Then again, quite a few people have posted that they swopped out an entire 5.1.4 system in exchange for the Stage and are happy with their decision, whilst others have posted that they tried a soundbar and quickly realised it was no match for a full 5.1.4 system when it comes to immersion.

So I guess you have to decide between ultimate sound quality versus immersion, which one is more important to you?

Good luck! :)

This is actually quite a tricky dilemma.

On the one hand you have the proven build quality and performance of the B&O, but it doesn't do Surround. On the other you have the JBL which does and is likely to be much more immersive, even if its ultimate sound quality doesn't match the B&O.

You did start your Thread asking whether Atmos would work in your room, and the general consensus is it will. I must emphasise that Atmos is actually quite a subtle effect as film/TV makers don't have non-stop sounds emanating above your head, it's mixed much more sparingly and with more nuance than that.

Obviously it's your choice based on what you want. But I can't help feeling that if you get the Stage, you might always be wishing you'd gone for the JBL and it's 5.1.4 sound. But if you get the JBL, I doubt very much you'd regret doing so as you're already familiar with that type of sound, though you might always wonder about the Stage's sound quality.

Then again, quite a few people have posted that they swopped out an entire 5.1.4 system in exchange for the Stage and are happy with their decision, whilst others have posted that they tried a soundbar and quickly realised it was no match for a full 5.1.4 system when it comes to immersion.

So I guess you have to decide between ultimate sound quality versus immersion, which one is more important to you?

Good luck! :)

That is the basic situation, perfectly summed up! Quality vs Immersion.

I'm used to 5.1 currently so my main worry with the B&O Stage is that I'll miss the rears. Current system is a Panasonic BTT-590 which is an all-in-one system. While it's probably slightly above average compared to other similar systems, the sound quality isn't amazing as you'd expect. So I'm sure the JBL will be a big step-up in quality anyway, if not on the same level as the Stage.

Whathifi's review of the JBL's sound performance was pretty scathing, but most other reviews of it I've read (e.g. avforums) were very good. I'm wondering if Whathifi's setup went wrong somehow as they said the Atmos effects seemed disjointed etc, whereas avforums seemed to say the Atmos worked really well?

I've started a list of pros and cons. It doesn't really help particularly as what I really want is something with the sound quality of the B&O but with the immersion of the JBL, at a reasonable price and with no wires anywhere. Not too much to ask is it?! :rotfl:

B&O Stage

Pros:
- Sound quality
- Looks
- Build quality
- Product support
- Minimal and neat solution (think it will look really good wall mounted below the TV).
- No sub on display
- Will work well as a music player as well as for movies

Cons:
- No rear speakers
- Less immersion, less Atmos effect due to no upward-facing drivers
- No DTS:X support
- Expensive at full price
- Fabric cover looks like it could be a problem with a sticky-fingered 2 year old

JBL Bar 9.1

Pros:
- Fully wireless rear speakers
- More immersion, more Atmos effect from upward-facing drivers (in theory)
- Supports all formats
- Dedicated sub
- Looks like a robust piece of kit

Cons:
- Not as attractive
- Sub is large and might not be easily hidden in the room
- Sound quality not as good overall
- Not great for music

At least I've got plenty of time to decide as I'm not buying a TV until Nov (unless any amazing offers appear before then), therefore I'd have no Dolby Atmos until then anyway.

I noticed Curry's have an offer of 30% off the JBL when bought with a TV, but they have zero stock currently. If they happened to have stock come November then that would make it a very attractive proposition, but who knows. I'm not a big fan of Curry's though and would rather buy from Richer Sounds if possible. Depends if they would price-match that offer.

Decisions, decisions!

Edit: Regarding Atmos itself, I probably need to go somewhere and actually get a demo of it, as I can only understand it in theory at the moment. A lot comes down to how it's used I imagine. If the sound track is developed specifically to use Atmos to it's full effect I'd imagine it's quite impressive, but if it's just an afterthought of the odd height effect added to the mix then it maybe won't be that great? A bit like 3D I suppose, the only film I've seen where the 3D was actually any good was Avatar, because it was specifically designed to use 3D to it's full extent (edit: forgot about Gravity, that was alright). Every other 3D film I've seen just had the odd bit of depth or something flying out of the screen at you. I don't expect Dolby Atmos to die off in the way 3D has, but it needs to be more than just a gimmick to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
What hifi are a bit hit and miss when it comes to reviews, also Atmos as an effect is very room dependant so they may have a room that just doesnt suit the JBL. Most other reviews have been far better, but everything is subjective.
The cloth is easily wipeable on the Stage, i do have 5 grandkids! you can also buy replacements and a company called skin play does some quite jolly ones.
I wouldnt worry about dts-x there is pretty much 0 demand out there for it compared to Atmos and if it grows dramatically it good be added by b&o as an overair download. i say could as they may not feel obligated to ever add it.

What hifi are a bit hit and miss when it comes to reviews, also Atmos as an effect is very room dependant so they may have a room that just doesnt suit the JBL. Most other reviews have been far better, but everything is subjective.
The cloth is easily wipeable on the Stage, i do have 5 grandkids! you can also buy replacements and a company called skin play does some quite jolly ones.
I wouldnt worry about dts-x there is pretty much 0 demand out there for it compared to Atmos and if it grows dramatically it good be added by b&o as an overair download. i say could as they may not feel obligated to ever add it.

Thanks Keith

I did take that review with a pinch of salt. Overall it seems the sound would be good enough from JBL. A soundbar is always going to be a compromise in some way compared to a separates system, so I wouldn't be expecting perfection anyway.

Good to know on the cloth, that's definitely a plus point for the B&O if it's easy to clean, or replace if needed. Noted re DTS:X too, probably not much of an issue there.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom