Question Will A Dedicated UHD Player Give A Better Picture Than My Xbox One S?

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per title please folks.

I have a Xbox One S and I am thinking of going for a dedicated player.

Has anyone done the same and can comment on the improved picture?

Thanks.

Simple answer. Yes.

I have the Xbox, and it was absolutely fine.

Bought the Panasonic UB700, and yeah it is much better.

Picture quality - hmmm I'm not so sure. I have an Xbox One S but was so frustrated by its clunky interface, the loud fan noise, and the many problem discs (most importantly Secret Life of Pets 3D on Blu Ray) that I went out and bought the Oppo 203. It has many advantages, but whether improved picture quality is one I'm not so sure...

Thanks.

Can't say about the X box but my ub700 has not put a foot wrong with any disc I have put in it the last 4 months or so. Only advantage with the Oppo at extra cost is Multizone playback and source direct as an auto feature. ( IMO)

I will say yes. And I'd recommend one of the Panasonics purely for the Panny's Dynamic Range Adjust setting to increase the APL for daytime viewing. But there's also the quieter and quicker operation, and the lack of stuttering that randomly happened on some films (John Wick 2 was the worst offender for me) on the Xbone S.

However, I picked up the Panny UB400 yesterday. All films I tested looked better than they do on the Xbone S ... with perhaps the exception of Unforgiven. It's a weird one. The colours on Unforgiven look muted on the Panny when compered to the Xbone S, specifically the reds. Not sure if it's the Xbone S pushing the reds too much, or something the Panny doesn't like with the disc. The weird thing is, I'm not sure which picture I prefer.

Last edited:
I had an Xbox One S but recently swapped it out for a Samsung K8500. Not much in it, but it's better. Glad I did the swap

The only negative report of the actual PICTURE on the Xbox One S I've ever found was in the HDTVTest review of the Oppo 203.

Plenty of people complain about the Xbox not being very user friendly, but not really heard much wrong about the image. Except this.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oppo-203-201705024457.htm

(Excerpt here, starting by referring to the Oppo:)

As far as we can ascertain with our currently limited suite of UHD (ultra high-definition) patterns, the player was decoding and outputting images and sound from disc correctly. We used the Rec.2020 color bars on Samsung’s UHD BD calibration disc and the Red, Green and Blue-only mode on our display, and verified that the color luminance levels were correct.

For comparison, one of the cheapest 4K Blu-ray players on the market today, Microsoft’s Xbox One S, gets this wrong (at the time of writing, May 2017). The game console decodes all content to RGB, which on its own isn’t an issue, but it does so with the wrong matrix, resulting in incorrect color reproduction. OPPO’s player, like most on the market, outputs the video in its native Y/Cb/Cr space, meaning that the color decoding step here is performed by the display. Although the console does have an option called “Allow YCC 4:2:2″ in its menus, this appears only to convert the internally decoded RGB back to Y/Cb/Cr; the erroneous color decoding step is still performed beforehand. (Thanks to Florian Freidrich for both the color bars test pattern via the Samsung test disc, and the tip-off).

Heh, I wonder if that's the cause of Unforgiven looking so different on the Xbone S compared to my newly purchased Panny UB400.

I don't have a 4k display but wanted to enjoy Atmos audio so bought an Xbox S to play the relevant UHD discs. It works fine but there's minimal picture adjustment, the picture stutters occasionally and using a game controller is too cumbersome for me.

Picked up a Panny UB300 today and besides the obvious advantages of a decent remote being able to adjust the Dynamic Range to allow for my 2k PJ is great.

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

Thanks.

I believe Steve has the One S in for review so hopefully we will get a more definitive view on its merits or failings.

I prefer dedicated for film watching as it's dedicated to watching film. As such it's only focus is on the one thing it's made for.

Only difference i've noticed between my One S and X800 is how much faster and quiter the X800 + it supports Youtube hdr and it's nice to have a dedicated player. But thats it. The One S is a good player if you arent bothered with the noise and how slow it is.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I ordered the UB400 yesterday, Amazon Prime deal at £175 so more than happy at that price.

Genuinely don't think you'll regret it. I've been having a play around with my 300 and it's a lovely piece of kit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom