1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a Cambridge DVD55/7 DVD player output PAL as NTSC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by liam_b, Aug 12, 2005.

1. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all :hiya:

I'm looking for a DVD player with reasonable build quality to give to a friend in the USA. It needs to be able to play PAL DVDs outputting true NTSC so that he can watch PAL DVDs I send him on his RPTV etc. As you might know most US video equipment will not handle PAL at all, so I hope to avoid the compatibility problem this way.

I did a search on here and turned up a couple of posts referring to the Cambridge 540D as doing NTSC<>PAL either way but the 540D is not on sale any longer, the current models are DVD55 and DVD57, I wanted to check before I get one that they will output NTSC from PAL disks, does anyone know for certain?

Cheers

2. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Liam,

I'm experiencing a problem which in fact may be what you need providing his RPTV supports PS. Any DVD I throw into my CA DVD55 player (whether PAL or NTSC) will output 480 lines on the component outputs if I switch to Progressive scan. Trying to see if I can mod the player so PAL discs come out at PAL PS.

3. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Since I posted about this 3 months ago and nobody replied I hunted down a different player for my friend in the US, I sent him a Pioneer DV380, which you can set to output NTSC only, so that his PAL disks would display on his NTSC TV.

I suspect that Cambridge DVD55 will only output PS for PAL disks by converting to NTSC, which will introduce some kind of motion judder this might not be a problem for you though, not everyone notices or is bothered by it.

I would have suggested contacting Cambridge but they recently sent the message to their customers 'WE ARE NOT INTERESTED' when they closed their website forums.