1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will a amp be better for me?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by graham_ew, Dec 17, 2000.

1. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a tosh 40pw8dg tv which has built in DD and i also have added an extra set of front left/right speakers and a active subto give proper DD5.1 but i have noticed that to hear all the surround sound properly i have to have the volume turned up quite a bit (which with a 18mth old son who goes to bed at 8pm is not ideal...allowed by my wife)so i was thinking could this be due to the power of the tv (50watts rms) having to drive the speakers or are a lot of sound tracks just very quiet, so i was thinking as i would also like DTS if i upgraded to a amp with say 70watts per channel would i get a "fuller" sound field at lower volumes or would it still need to be played quite loud also would the sound be much more of an improvement im looking at spending a few hundred on the amp so any views would be welcome . Also do any amps have a 240volt output for say a cd player (as this would save on sockets)

2. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We’ve got a DD Tosh TV and although the sound was quite good through the telly, you can’t beat an amp. Providing you invest in some decent speakers, you can have the sound quite low and it will still be clearer, better quality than through the TV. You could do worse than the Sony STR-DB930 which is DD and DTS. It also has a 240volt output. Richer Sounds is doing this amp for £299. Treat yourself, you won’t regret it.

Caroline