will a 5m usb cable work when my battery runs out

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
sometimes when im playing a long gaming session my controller battery runs out and its a bit of a pain to have to stop playing and charge it up. could i just buy a 5m long usb cable and connect that up so i can keep playing when the battery runs out?

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
You might need to charge it a little bit if its completely dead (obviously) but should work fine. The newer controller are meant to connect via the cable too (not sure if the old ones do that via firmware or if its just the new ones).

Most cables should work. I have 2 controllers so its never an issue.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
i have an older controller so am i right in saying the data is still sent bluetooth but it charges via usb so i can still play. where as the new controllers charge and send data via usb for reduced lag

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
i have an older controller so am i right in saying the data is still sent bluetooth but it charges via usb so i can still play. where as the new controllers charge and send data via usb for reduced lag
Yes but you have to choose your input method rather than just being able to rely on the PS4/DS4 realising that you want to use direct control when it's plugged in.

Regards 5m USB cables, you'll lose quite a bit of power over that distance, so don't use it as your regular charging lead, but just one to "support" longer gaming sessions.

I used to use A 3m one for charging and it got to the point I thought the battery was shagged, but once I dropped back to a shorter cable I had no further issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom