Will a 5670 improve image quality and maybe play some games?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by termsapply, Nov 28, 2010.

1. termsapply

termsapply
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved this question from the Systems forum as I realised I put it in the wrong place...

Does an ATI 5670 offer any improvements to HTPC image quality (TV, mkvs, DivX) over the onboard ATI HD 4200

Will it be good enough to play some games combined with my lowly Athlon II X250?

I'm choosing the 5670 because of it's low power consumption. I only have a 350W antec mini PSU.

All opinions welcome, thanks.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    It won't offer any improvements in image quality on a high quality source, no card will as it's just passing it through. If you're asking it to do any image processing (deinterlacing, upscaling etc.) then you should see some improvement over the older integrated graphics.

The 5670 is a pretty good gaming card even if it tends to be poorer value than the more expensive (but power hungry) cards and should have no problem with whatever you throw at it as long as you don't try and turn all the fancy details on.

3. termsapply

termsapply
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I believe everything I throw at it involves some sort of image processing.. TV needs de-interlacing. DivX need upscaling.. Although 720p mkv files probably need nothing doing apart from decoding?

Anyway.. perhaps it will make some of the lower bit rate SD TV channels look a bit better.