Will a 5200rpm hard drive be any better?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bonzaimaster, May 24, 2004.

1. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eBuyer are doing a sub £50 5200rpm 120Gb Western Digital drive. I have already upgraded my Sky+ box with a IBM DeskStar but I'm having problem with older recording getting 'stuck' at arbitary points. Anyone else have this problem? As the original hard drive was a 5200rpm one, my thinking is that it may help to 'downgrade' mine.

Ant thoughts?

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Maxtor 6Y120L0 120Gb work very well.

£56.15 from www.cclcomputers.biz

Hope this helps

Arthur D.

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think most people will agree that no upgraded hard drives 'work very well' since the last software update...

Personally, if you find the 40GB drive too small then you're watching too much TV IMO..!

4. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing wrong with the Deskstar. I have deskstar 120G. I'm quite sure it isn't the problem. But replacing the drive might work because . . .

. . . it seems that the problems are (a) generated by "disk cleanup" at restart and (b) caused by something unintended about what's been written to disk since dual recording, which has been put right with the B1 software update.

Therefore, you need to take the drive out of the box, write zeros all over it, put it back and re-initialise it (the "housekeeping reset" you did when you put the drive in originally). Then there should never again be any confusing data on the drive, and restart will no longer sometimes trash recordings when it cleans up the disk.

Some people claim this doesn't work, but I'm not convinced it wasn't failure to carry out the steps properly. Other people are convinced it has made a difference.

I've just done it 2 days ago. Won't know for sure for a couple of months if it really works, because I already had a UPS to prevent restarts happening at power cuts (lots of power cuts where I live).

See the interminable discussions on the 17min bug on Digitalspy for more details.
    --
    PS If you have a Mac, congratulations, and "Disk Utility" is the program that will zero your Sky+ drive for you.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Using a Samsugn 120gb 5400rpm in my Sky+ v1 box - no probs since install in September 2003 - and its sooo quiet.

6. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Mine's a Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm & after + has proved to be one of the best purchases last year. In answer to your question though, some drives seem more + friendly than others. I don't know how Western Digital fare. I'd research what people recommend, & not change unless it's for a 'better' one. For what it's worth I chose Samsung as no one was complaining of problems. I ordered the slower 5k rpm drive, but was delivered the faster -7k rpm. Decided to try anyway & haven't looked back.

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I also meant to disagree with SimonO, I've not seen any such suggestion on these forums that upgraded drives do any worse than standard. If he can manage with a 40gig drive then he wants to get a life - in front of his tele. He must be frittering his time away going out & the like!!!

8. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    What version of Sky+ box do you have?

9. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    V2 Pace. To repeat myself..... the maxtor drive on removal was too hot to hold ! I'm convinced my upgrade has prevented a Sky warranty claim. In use, the Samsungs barely warm.

10. burger2006

burger2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5200rpm is soooooo slow - you'll see the difference once you need something done fast! A lot of the overclocking stores seem to have good prices on quality hard discs, but I can never remember what the URLs are - a search on somewhere like www.blinkx.com should be able to sort you out :)

11. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    The V2 boxes deal with the 7200rpm drives better from what I have read.