Will a 120 volt amp work over here.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Tony8377, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, just bought a used Classe CA201 power amp and on the back of the amp and the box it says the voltage is 120 volts and even the fuse is "10 amp slow burn 250 volts" which is the one recommended for 120 volts.

When I plug it in it all works fine, not got a step down transformer or anything, Is that possible or is the amp just incorrectly labelled and it must be 240 volts?

Thanks, Tony

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I've seen other posts from people saying that 120v power amps are working fine on 240v.
    It may be that the amp has already been modified, by changing the transformer, or using alternative windings on the primary. Did you buy the amp from a European seller, or is it a US import?

The other possibility is that the voltage regulator in the power supply is working extra hard to drop the DC voltages down to the correct levels. If this is the case, it'll get extremely hot, and may burn out.

3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks clockworks,

I bought the amp used, and the guy had been using it for a couple of years, so was curious if it could be a 120 volt version. From what you've said it would appear that it could be a 120 volt version which is a bit worrying.

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Might be worth contacting a dealer or the manufacturer/importer to find out if a 240v mod has been done, just to be safe.