Will 576i from Pio DV989 HDMI, to Lumagen DVI, to panel VGA work?

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Or does HDCP come along and bugger it up?

Yes HDCP buggers it up. If the signal is HDCP encrypted then the analogue outputs of the scaler are disabled. The choices are to remove HDCP before the scaler or after (after being a DVI to VGA HDCP removal device).

Gordon

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
If the signal is HDCP encrypted ......
Does the 989 really apply HDCP to standard definition HDMI outputs?

I wasn't sure about that and didn't have time to read the manual.......

Nick

HDCP has nothing to do wth whether the output is upscaled or not. It's to do with whether there is copy protection on the disc. If it's a protected disc then HDCP is applied...on any HDCP compliant device.

Gordon

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
HDCP has nothing to do wth whether the output is upscaled or not. It's to do with whether there is copy protection on the disc. If it's a protected disc then HDCP is applied...on any HDCP compliant device.

Gordon

I'm sure your probably right, but that wasn't my understanding regarding HDCP and DVD. HDCP is a new thing and so I don't see how it could be 'on the disc'.

I thought that Holywood was insisting that DVD player manufacturers enabled HDCP on upscaled digital images, ie DVI and HDMI. I have no knowledge of whether this is insisted for digital output as encoded on the disc, ie 480i or 576i, but I presumed not.

If your right then I've seriously got the wrong end of the stick.

It is not on the disc, HDCP is added. The HDMI rules say the player will protect the output (with HDCP) when it detects copy protection. So if it detects something like macrovision, (copy protectopn of yesteryear), which is on most discs, the it will automatically apply HDCP as G has indicated for HDMI output. It has nothing to do with resolution, witness Arcam 480p / 576p.

Nic Rhodes said:
It is not on the disc, HDCP is added. The HDMI rules say the player will protect the output (with HDCP) when it detects copy protection. So if it detects something like macrovision, (copy protectopn of yesteryear), which is on most discs, the it will automatically apply HDCP as G has indicated for HDMI output. It has nothing to do with resolution, witness Arcam 480p / 576p.

That's really depressing :(
Does that mean that if I upgrade to a PHD8 for 1:1 pixel mapping then my 868 will be reduced to component out?

damo_in_sale said:
That's really depressing :(
Does that mean that if I upgrade to a PHD8 for 1:1 pixel mapping then my 868 will be reduced to component out?

Sorry to be a pain, but is the above statement true?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom