Will 4k blu- ray disks work ok on a ps3?

Ewan154

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Will 4k blu-ray disks work ok on a ps3 and a epson tw3200 projector?

Unlikely. There are no current plans to add 4k playback to ps3, and I expect the hardware isn't capable.

Ps4 has been stated as will playback 4k movies.

There are no 4K Blu-rays. Do you mean Sony's 'Mastered in 4K' discs? If so, yes. The PS3 is a BD player and will play anything a stand-alone player does.

Hi,
No. Sorry for not being clear. I should have written when 4k blu-rays come out, will they work ok on the ps3?

Will Sony's 'Mastered in 4K' discs work ok with the ps3 and the epson projector?

‘Sony's 'Mastered in 4K' discs’ = Blu-ray.

No difference to any other Blu-ray disc in your collection (apart from the marketing hype!). Remember ‘Superbit DVD’!!!

Ultra HD ‘4K’ on Blu-ray is still a pipedream at this point!

Joe

Yes, basically what he said. By the time 4K arrives it probably won't even be called Blu-ray.

The Mastered in 4K collection is just a label to let the consumer know that the original film elements were scanned at 4K. They are then down-sampled to 1080p for BD.

Has anyone tried a Sony's 'Mastered in 4K' discs? Is there any much of a difference?

On some of them, yes, a fairly major difference. On others, not so much, and a few are arguably worse.

The discs that were already derived from 4K masters (Taxi Driver, Battle: LA, Amazing Spider-Man, Total Recall etc.) aren't much different, but Ghostbusters, Glory and a few of the other older titles are improved.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about buying spiderman.

On some of them, yes, a fairly major difference. On others, not so much, and a few are arguably worse.

The discs that were already derived from 4K masters (Taxi Driver, Battle: LA, Amazing Spider-Man, Total Recall etc.) aren't much different, but Ghostbusters, Glory and a few of the other older titles are improved.

I would go with the above + add Godzilla to the list.

:)

Hi,
Can't go wrong with the Raimi Spideys, despite was some hideous trolls on a certain other forum think.

Hi,
The older Raimi Spider-Man films look better in 4K, but the new one with Garfield not so much.

So basically the films that look better have just been given the transfer they deserve?

So basically the films that look better have just been given the transfer they deserve?

Pretty much, the only one I have upgraded was Ghostbusters and I am glad I did.

If the only way to get the best releases of films is via these misleading 4k brands then so be it, here's hoping Universal and Paramount do something similar and we finally get brand new 4K transfers of BTTF Trilogy, Jurassic Park Trilogy and the Star Trek films :D

I'd pay cash money, full whack, to get all the Trek movies looking as good as Ghostbusters, which is amazing (IMO).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom