Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Wildly varying Extended Warranty costs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by loz, Aug 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I know that are not always considered as good value but looking to buy a 26" LCD to replace one that has already failed, and seeing a fair number of problems reported in this forum, I am considering addiing an extended warranty to my purchase.

It is amazing just how much the prices differ.
    Going to Direct and General themselves they want £129 for a 3 year warranty (including manufacturers 1st year)
    RGB Direct want £149 for a D&G warranty when I buy the TV there - making their total price £698+149=£847
    Whereas Digital Direct want a whopping £299 for the D&G warranty (even dixons/currys only charge £179). So their price might be cheaper at £599, but the total is £898 (at which price you might as well buy from John Lewis and get a 5 year warranty)

Best would seem to buy TV at DD, then warranty separately from D&G direct for a total of £728

Or am I being paranoid wanting an extended warranty?

2. gazzer_67

gazzer_67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Since warranty is based on product value.

It may be best to wait until your one year warranty has almost expired then apply direct to D & G for warranty based on your current LCD value.

Since all LCD's are - reduce in value approx 30-40% in one year - so should the cost of the warranty.

Gazzer

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I think the D&G site would take this into account. It asks for the purchase date and purchase price.
    But, yes it might be a good strategy