1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildly varying Extended Warranty costs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by loz, Aug 30, 2005.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I know that are not always considered as good value but looking to buy a 26" LCD to replace one that has already failed, and seeing a fair number of problems reported in this forum, I am considering addiing an extended warranty to my purchase.

It is amazing just how much the prices differ.
    Going to Direct and General themselves they want £129 for a 3 year warranty (including manufacturers 1st year)
    RGB Direct want £149 for a D&G warranty when I buy the TV there - making their total price £698+149=£847
    Whereas Digital Direct want a whopping £299 for the D&G warranty (even dixons/currys only charge £179). So their price might be cheaper at £599, but the total is £898 (at which price you might as well buy from John Lewis and get a 5 year warranty)

Best would seem to buy TV at DD, then warranty separately from D&G direct for a total of £728

Or am I being paranoid wanting an extended warranty?

2. gazzer_67

gazzer_67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Since warranty is based on product value.

It may be best to wait until your one year warranty has almost expired then apply direct to D & G for warranty based on your current LCD value.

Since all LCD's are - reduce in value approx 30-40% in one year - so should the cost of the warranty.

Gazzer

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I think the D&G site would take this into account. It asks for the purchase date and purchase price.
    But, yes it might be a good strategy