Wildlife Park - Port Lympne, Kent

Gizmo 76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Good Evening all,

Had a trip out with the girlfriend today down to Port Lympne. The weather while pleasent wasn't that great in terms of lighting, the sun only on occasion broke through a dull cloudy sky, also the animals didn't really want to join in either :(

Managed to grab these though, all pictures link to bigger versions . . . :D

EVEN LARGER VERSION

And finally . . . ;)

The wire fences caused some problems, which you'll see in a couple of the shots. Might do some extra PP' work on No. 12 as I like the shot, but the strange 'fence out of focus' effect does it no favours!

Cheers for looking,

Giz.

Gizmo, these are fantastic.

I LOVE the gorilla and tiger shots especially number 8, 10 and my favourite of all number 13.

Great days work

really nice set of pics you have there :thumbsup:

what camera & lens were they taken with?

Cheers for the comments :thumbsup:

All bar the shot of the 'Port Lympne' sign, they were taken with the Canon 70-200 f4 lens, I should of really changed to a different lens when I took the chameleon shot as I was struggling for light and close enough to use a better suited lens :rolleyes:

A few final ones before bed . . .

and finally, how I feel now after all the walking, snapping, and processing :D

Good Night,

Giz

Going through my shots again this evening I decided re-process one of the Gorilla shots that was used in my storyboard type picture . . . I HDR'd it.

I had to edit each exposure in elements to make sure I kept the detail in his right eye. I think the fur and skin texture works quite well with the HDR treatment, what do you think?

Giz.

Great photos! I went to this place last week and was pretty impressed by it. My pics were nowhere near as good as yours though!

Particularly like your gorilla shots (we missed this part as the Jeep tour we took got held up for 3 hours - did get a full refund on our entrance though).

Excellent job!

Giz, these are absolutely amazing shots! When I was flicking through I sort off said to myself! I will be happy if these where taken with either the 70-200 f4 or the 24-105mm cos either of these will be my next lens!!

Well impressed!! Good on ya!

:thumbsup:

Giz, these are absolutely amazing shots! When I was flicking through I sort off said to myself! I will be happy if these where taken with either the 70-200 f4 or the 24-105mm cos either of these will be my next lens!!

Well impressed!! Good on ya!

:thumbsup:

Thanks alot mate :thumbsup:

When I purchased the lens, I thought that I wouldn't use it as much, I thought that after using a 17-50 for walking around i'd find the 70-200 a bit long!! But I find myself making excuses to keep it on, because it has delivered for me everytime I use it, I love the lens to bits, the girlfriend wouldn't understand :rotfl:

If you go for it, you won't be disappointed :smashin:

Wow, these are superb - great job on the processing and some of the facial expressions you've captured are really interesting too

10, 11 & 12 are the picks for me however 12 could probably do with a bit more work to sort the distracting DOF

Excellent images, you've got a really nice set of PP settings. They pop without being OTT. Nitpicking, your exposure is a tad off for some of them, 2 could do with being a stop brighter for detail in the eye and in 8 it looks like the bright grass has confused your metering - do you get spot metering on a 400D?

9 is my favourite but it does loose a little sharpness and 'pop' when I look at the full sized version, I guess that's why there's a 70-200 2.8 available :p

Wow, these are superb - great job on the processing and some of the facial expressions you've captured are really interesting too

10, 11 & 12 are the picks for me however 12 could probably do with a bit more work to sort the distracting DOF

Thanks alot :thumbsup:

Yeah, No. 12 could definitely do with some work on the OoF stuff, the wire fences really do get in the way!:mad: Free the animals . . . . :D

Excellent images, you've got a really nice set of PP settings. They pop without being OTT. Nitpicking, your exposure is a tad off for some of them, 2 could do with being a stop brighter for detail in the eye and in 8 it looks like the bright grass has confused your metering - do you get spot metering on a 400D?

9 is my favourite but it does loose a little sharpness and 'pop' when I look at the full sized version, I guess that's why there's a 70-200 2.8 available :p

Cheers :smashin:

No, no spot metering on the 400D . .

No. 9, I was really using the wrong lens, really bad light conditions, and ISO 1600. We only stopped here for about 5 minutes as the spiders and snakes had just been taken away...... Oh, and i'd love to have the 2.8 IS Version :D

If you don't get spot metering then for shots like the black gorilla against the bright grass I'd go with center weighted, then dial in a stop of overexposure. As long as you don't blow the highlights you'll be fine. Do you get blinking highlights in the review on a 400d? :p

If you don't get spot metering then for shots like the black gorilla against the bright grass I'd go with center weighted, then dial in a stop of overexposure. As long as you don't blow the highlights you'll be fine. Do you get blinking highlights in the review on a 400d? :p

Yep, you do, I believe I had it on 'Center Weighted', i'm still kinda learning the camera. To be honest for the gorilla shots I kinda set my aperture, checked my shutter speed, composed, and then went click, click, click . . . And didn't review them until I got home. It was the last bit of the day on our trip, and I think the girlfriend was starting to get a bit bored of my continued photo taking :D

I will definitely try and keep an eye out in the future, cheers for the advice bud :thumbsup:

Excellent and inspiring pictures!!

Wicked photos!

I went to the same place on Monday! lovely clean place I found.

but with only an 18-70mm lens on me D200, restricted on shots as most animals tend to stay some distance from the spectator fence/glass!

your pics are very good as I found this place not as easy to photograph as easy as you have done ( well done).

Guess I will have to stump up for a 70-200 f2.8 too (dont tell the missus)

cheers,

grandslam

Wicked photos!

I went to the same place on Monday! lovely clean place I found.

but with only an 18-70mm lens on me D200, restricted on shots as most animals tend to stay some distance from the spectator fence/glass!

your pics are very good as I found this place not as easy to photograph as easy as you have done ( well done).

Guess I will have to stump up for a 70-200 f2.8 too (dont tell the missus)

cheers,

grandslam

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

We could quite possibly passed each then :D I saw about 5 or 6 people with DSLRs and I think one had a Sigma Bigma on as well . . .

It wasn't the best day for taking pictures to be honest, the sun was in and out quite alot, and like you said the animals keep quite a bit away from the fence majority of the time. Dinner time no doubt would be the best time to catch them :rolleyes:

Great shots.

5 and 12 for me, although 5 does make me feel a touch sad.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Yeah, No.5 is quite sad, I captured a few like that, looking out at the happy eating in front of them public...

Going through my shots again this evening I decided re-process one of the Gorilla shots that was used in my storyboard type picture . . . I HDR'd it.

I had to edit each exposure in elements to make sure I kept the detail in his right eye. I think the fur and skin texture works quite well with the HDR treatment, what do you think?

Giz.

Dont know much about HDR but i think this looks great.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom