Wilders Cinema

The DVD storage compartment is the coolest thing I ever seen added to a HT!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Simply Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this is because I am a HUGE SW fan... :devil:

Either way I love it!!!

An 808 and Theatertek, nice combo! :smashin:

Out of interest who setup the pj?

I bought it from an old member who I think doesnt come on these forums any more....Uncle Eric......top bloke....
Roland from B4 installed it
James from crtprojectors gave it a fan mod and tune up a year or so ago...

And he's coming back to stick in a new green tube for me and move the pj as it needs to go 18" further forward in the next couple of weeks hopefully....!

Sounds expensive!!

18" too far back, absolutely soul destroying.

Yeh...Uncle..good guy. And James, well you know you're in good hands there.

The room looks like fun, enjoy! :)

Like it very much, especially the recessed equipment and mr solo!

Stunning!!!!
Most of you guys must be on mega bucks!!!! :eek:

Must work harder...must work harder!!!! :thumbsup:

How do these CRT pj's work with HD material, can you get HD CRT pj's ?

T800 said:
How do these CRT pj's work with HD material, can you get HD CRT pj's ?

Nearly all 8" and all 9" crts are good for HD.

I know it's slightly off topic, but I had a chap turn up at home a couple of weeks ago to pick up an SDI modded denon player I had sold on the bay. He'd just had SkyHD installed at home (viewed on a 50" Plasma) and he was keen to see my setup. Well I played him a couple of scenes from gladiator and all he said was "wow, Hi-Def looks brilliant on your system" I then replied "what Hi-Def??"

I was using a SD SDI modded player scaled to 1440x1152 using crystalio.:devil:

James played his D-Theatre player on my system, that was totally amazing.:D

Just had James from CRT projectors move the projector and while he was at it, swapped out the green bulb which was showing signs of wear (although very minimal - but Im fussy!)
Finished the masking too which I am well pleased with, will post some pics of both the picture and masking if anyone interested....

By the way, watching a film 2.35:1 with the screen masked is excellent, makes the image so much crisper....well worth investing in...

Did you get the pj moved that 18" forward? Any improvements in PQ over the previous installation?

Yeah there is, but I think it's due to a fresh install (I had spent a couple of years tweaking this and that after it was set up and probably some settings were working against others, so nice to have it set to midpoint and done again from scratch from someone who really knows what they're doing ie. James)
Also add a new green tube, and the masking which all together make the picture look very sharp.
Im keeping this now for at least the next few years till digitals are cheap enough to warrent an upgrade and provide an equally good picture (which they dont IMHO at the moment) :)

I got a spare Digibox behind the wall which isnt on show but feeds the pc, the htpc takes care of music (whole collection is in Itunes), tv for the footy (via Dscaler) and DVDs via Theatertek.

Great Looking Setup !

I too am running a a BD808, recently bought from EBay, and many people have commented on the quality of the image. It hasn't been professionally set up, it's just been messed about with by me...

Interested to understand how you connect your Digibox to the PJ via your HTPC. I recently bought a Haupage PVR-350 with S-Video in (and out) to connect the multiregion DVD player and Sky Box. I have played with the bundled s/w (PVR and TV2000) but I am having problems with Aspect ratio.

What S/W are you using (some set-up detail please;-) ) and what resolution are you using.

My current HTPC (and ACER with on board nVidea 6100 chip) seems capable, just. I will upgrade to an onboard nVidea 6150 based PC in about 6 months time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nigel

I am using a Pinnacle PCTV Rave tv card which receives the pic from the digibox via SVideo. I have just bought (from these forums) a sweetspot card which takes RGB, so hopefully a good improvement in pic quality from what I have so will be swapping out the PCTVRave card very soon.
DScaler sorts out the TV picture, and is supposedly the best there is - see http://www.dscaler.org/card-support/index.htm to see if your card is supported.

Then there is an ATI 9000 card outputting via component to the PJ (going to go to a 6600gt soon as the pq is again slightly better) which projects to a 8' wide screen.
The PJ runs at 1440x720 (P4 1.8 proecssor). the horizontal width doesn't really matter, but 720 is comfortable for this PJ and gives (me) best results, I use powerstrip also.

For DVDs, i use Theatertek, which also gives (me) best quality.
I use DVDRefresh to sort out the refresh rates for NTSC & PAL on DVD insert, and Reclock as the audio renderer in Theatertek which avoids any sound issues.

I haven't had any issues with this combo.

Thanks for the details. Having read through the post again I did check out DScaler but my card, PVR 350, is not supported... I'll check out the RGB card as this seems the way to go as most devices output RGB and quality is regarded as better?

Thanks again for the detail, more research for me to do.

Nigel

Amazing room....and that DVD storage is inspired:smashin:

hi wilders

[...]Finished the masking too which I am well pleased with, will post some pics of both the picture and masking if anyone interested....

By the way, watching a film 2.35:1 with the screen masked is excellent, makes the image so much crisper....well worth investing in...

i'm very interested in some pics concerning your masking, as i will move into a big house an will get a dedicated hc-room...

regards, christoph

I've attached a pic explaining what i've done.....

I bought a couple of small spring roller blinds, removed the ends and spring mechanism and mounted them to some 8' long ali tubing from B&Q, making 2 8' wide spring rollers - cost about £30 for both (8' wide rollers came in about £140 each so would've worked out expensive).
These were mounted in the 3" gap at the top and bottom of the screen I left for this purpose...see the yellow lines.
I bought a 8' length of black velvet which is 54" wide off a roll, cost about £60, basically cut it in half, carpet taped it to the rollers, and the missus sewed a hoop on each piece of velvet so I could put a thinner tube the length of the velvet which is used hook into the red dots which hold the masking when pulled down and lifted up, the ali tube also is strong enough for a nice straight edge to the screen when hooked in (doesn't bow).
When unhooked, the spring mechanism pulls the masking back to the top and bottom of the screen and this then blends in with the flock tape around the screen.

So basically, a length of velvet, a couple of cheap spring roller blinds, carpet tape, 4 ali tubes 8' long (2 thin, 2 thick), and a missus with some sewing skills....

I'll post some pics later....

Attachments

• 1212.JPG
    1212.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 226
Another thing which people may want to know, I recently upgraded from a Pinnacle PCTV Rave TV card in the hcpc (fed via my digibox via svideo) which I thought gave an acceptable image, to a sweetspot.
When I first saw the image from the sweet spot (fed via teh digibox by rgbs cable) I was gobsmacked...the difference is incredible...
The TV picture (especially on the pay channels ie sky sports etc) is almost dvd quality....well worth the upgrade.
Another reason now to keep my current setup till I 'have' to upgrade
Only really watch DVDs and footy on sky through the barco anyway.... :)

Gonna opst some pics over the weekend..

Here's the masking in action....
The left picture is masked for 2.35:1, the middle pic has the masking retracted back into place so is 16:9, the last pic is a close up of the velvet, rollers and screws I've used to stop the masking - top screw is for 2.35:1, next screw is 1.85:1, no masking (fully retracted) is 16:9. Screws are black and hidden by the side curtains...
Works very well.

Attachments

• 126-2644_IMG.jpg
    126-2644_IMG.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 659
  • 126-2645_IMG.jpg
    126-2645_IMG.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 570
  • 126-2642_IMG.jpg
    126-2642_IMG.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 220
hi wilders

thank you very much for your update :smashin:

am i right that you just have two "settings": 1.77:1 and 2.35:1 but not 1.85:1?

how do you handle aspect ratios in between those two settings? or those dvds that are not mastered correctly and are not symmetrical in height?

There's 3 settings really, 1.77 with no masking, 1.85 on the first notch, 2.35 on the 2nd.... that pretty much covers anything i watch.

and what about ben hur (2.40:1)?? :D

and sometimes the black bar on top and the black bar below don't have the same hight...

I have tried setting up multiple aspect ratios in TT but to be honest I just use 2.35 for 2.40, the difference is so small is isnt noticeable. I guess you could have loads of screws for the different aspect ratios, but I dont really bother..
And I havent seen a dvd with different height black bars, they're all in the same place so far...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom