Wild goose chase: Mordaunt Short 10i

aekostas

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a pair of Mordaunt Short 10i that I use for my 3.0 home cinema system. I have put it together pretty sloppily and use a JPW bookstand as my centre -- not great. :)

Does anyone know how old these Mordaunt Short are and if there ever was a centre speaker for them? They predate the current Mordaunt Short company, is my guess.

Thanks in advance!

IIRC these are the small bookshelf type that had a metal dome tweeter a plastic injection molded baffle that actually had the 4" mid/bass driver basket integrally cast into it. The MDF box was vinyl wrapped and the whol package retailed for £150/pair about 9 or 10 years ago. If they were the 'Pearl' variant. There was a more expensive 'Classic' version, I think.

Close?

If so, there was never a center speaker. On the upside they were a great little budget speaker with good clarity on vocals and plenty of detail in the (not quite the smoothest around) treble. Bass was quick and tunefull because they didn't spoil them with over ambitious port tuning. They look their age, but modern equivalents would be £200+ so don't write them off just yet.

For a matching center, you could consider another pair for the £30 to £75 they go for, although I'm not sure that they were shielded which would make dumping one on a CRT a no no.

Russell

IIRC these are the small bookshelf type that had a metal dome tweeter a plastic injection molded baffle that actually had the 4" mid/bass driver basket integrally cast into it. The MDF box was vinyl wrapped and the whol package retailed for £150/pair about 9 or 10 years ago. If they were the 'Pearl' variant. There was a more expensive 'Classic' version, I think.

Close?
They weren't the Pearls (and I don't get the techie stuff) but yes. :smashin:
For a matching center, you could consider another pair for the £30 to £75 they go for, although I'm not sure that they were shielded which would make dumping one on a CRT a no no.

How do you wire two for a centre; two wires off the AV Receiver out? The obvious problem will be size (they will block the IR of the AV Receiver); can they be (say) 80 cm apart?

No, you use one and keep the other as a spare! Or you buy two pairs, use two for the side surrounds, one as the center and one as the rear surround.

I was just floating an idea and not really being serious, but speakers like these are huge bargains for the money they can be had for. This sort of idea is often overlooked as a cheap way to a VERY capable 5 or 6 channel setup. The problems come with being able to use a vertical speaker in the middle, because fitting it under or over the screen can be difficult or look odd and as I say, magnetic shielding wasn't often in evidence 10 years ago.

Russell

The problems come with being able to use a vertical speaker in the middle, because fitting it under or over the screen can be difficult or look odd.

I have mine on its side. It's not much taller than some centre speakers I was looking at. Next step: locate a pair :thumbsup:

I might be able to help you there! I have a pair of 10i Pearls gathering dust in my son's bedroom. One of them has a bit of damage on the bottom front corner from being knocked off its stand, and the MS badge is missing from one, but I don't know if it's the same one. They're "Black Ash" Haven't been used for ages.

Thanks, but mine are not Pearls (and the aim is to match them :))

Does anyone know the difference between 20i and 10i?

Thanks for all the info. I since replaced the B&W with a Jamo Cornet 30III that I also had and wow what a difference... The Jamo had put me off because of size and because the woofer-caps are pushed in (I tried all the methods, the bent pin ending in pulling out one cap :().

I then lucked into a rather unusual pair for 55 pounds that the wife approved.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280058161431

I am now looking for 2 grilles for the 10i; I should look in the right section. The authorised parts agent does not stock the grilles anymore :(

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom