Wild Bill

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a preview screening of this last night. This British film seems to have rode into town out of nowhere, all mysterious, initially not all that threatening but there was no denying its presence for this is a terrific film.

Its almost like a London version of Carlito's Way. This isnt a goonish Guy Ritchie type film, this one has so much more subtlety and substance but its first and foremost a touching family drama about "Wild" Bill, on parole after 8 years in prison reluctantly re-connecting with his 15 and 10 year old sons who have been abandoned by their mother a year earlier to fend for themselves. He tries to be on the straight despite the pressure from old "friends" but its not easy for him, and neither for his sons...well, that's as much of a synopsis I will give.

There are super performances all round. Most enjoyable is Charlie Creed-Miles' Wild Bill who is an illiterate, wary and apparently so very soft natured that we wonder why he is nicknamed Wild Bill. Will Poulter (Eustace in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Son of Rambow) also stands out as the 15 year old teenager who has been taking on the fatherly role to his little brother and prematurely inheriting a huge responsibility whilst also trying to avoid the social services from sending them into care. Poulter always looked like he will become quite a major British leading or character actor from just the little I have seen of him in the past and he's proven that here. Anyone remember lovely Liz White who played Annie Cartright in Life on Mars? I've not ever seen her in anything since so I was glad to see her in the film's leading female role. She's probably not very versatile because all I could see was the same sweet character of Annie Cartright but I'm not complaining as she is very enchanting here. Andy Serkis also appears in a few scenes suitably playing the mean big ganster boss. The gangsters themselves are however, one dimensional stereotyped baddies.

This is a brilliant first time directorial debut from British actor, Dexter Fletcher who also co wrote the script. He gives us more investment in the main characters and resists the fast edit pulp style that Guy Ritchie seems to have spurned on other film makers. He puts us on a journey that is perfectly paced, funny, poignant and riveting as the tension gradually winds up to a climactic finish.

I've seen a trailer for this afterwards and it pitches the film as a typical Guy Ritchie gangster comedy. That's misleading, its not that at all and gives too much away too. So I encourage all of you not to watch the trailer and just go see it.

9/10 (film is released on Friday)

Edit: I forgot to mention, the film has a great 80s soundtrack.

Last edited:
Watched this last night agree with the above its a well paced film with a great ending. If anything a little slow to get going but probably because it was not what I was expecting.

I had never heard of this but caught it on Sky a while back and really enjoyed it. Decent story and very well acted

I rarely buy blu rays these days, this is one I bought. Great film

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom