Wii U NTSC console - What do I need for it work in UK?

• Thread starter Deleted member 497169
  • Start date

Deleted member 497169

Reaction score
I have just purchased an American (NTSC) Wii U Premium console off someone on the classifieds on the forum quite cheap and just wondered if a converter plug is sufficient or do I need a transformer to use here in the UK. Don't want it malfunctioning/breaking because of not having the right power. I have not actually got the console yet but would rather be prepared.

Errr a guess would be that you would need a transformer as the voltage is different in the UK from the USA. Google or eBay may be your best bet here.

Unless Nintendo are very kind and the power adapter that comes with it allows 240 volt input, in which case you may get away with just an adapter for the plug !

I have just purchased an American (NTSC) Wii U Premium console off someone on the classifieds on the forum quite cheap and just wondered if a converter plug is sufficient or do I need a transformer to use here in the UK. Don't want it malfunctioning/breaking because of not having the right power. I have not actually got the console yet but would rather be prepared.

Like Tooms said, a step down adapter perhaps. I've got a NTSC Wii and a GameCube and both use step down adpaters - 240v down to 110v - both consoles are still working fine.

Thank you for your answers... I will wait until it comes now and test it

I used to use a step down convertor for my original Wii(NTSC), after a while I purchased a UK power pack/ cable and simply swapped it over, a much tidier solution.

I used to use a step down convertor for my original Wii(NTSC), after a while I purchased a UK power pack/ cable and simply swapped it over, a much tidier solution.

I used a transformer but the buzzing was unbearable so Tetlee or anybody else could you confirm whether an official Wii U power supply from Uk pal machine will fit in US NTSC console that I own.

I used a transformer but the buzzing was unbearable so Tetlee or anybody else could you confirm whether an official Wii U power supply from Uk pal machine will fit in US NTSC console that I own.

Can't confirm it, but pretty sure it will, as that was the case with both the Gamecube and the original Wii consoles.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

As far as I'm aware all WiiU consoles use the same voltage which is 15v, so all you'd need is a UK WiiU power supply.
Have a look at the back of the console and see what the voltage is.

I don't know for sure but agree with what is said above, i would be surprised if they didn't. Either check the back of the Wii U or look on the power adapter, it normally tells you what the input and output is. Check the output on a UK adapter, hopefully they are the same.

The output will be the same, but if in doubt about the input, don't plug it in! 230v into an adaptor rated for only 110v could be messy! If you are not sure how to read the input/output ratings you could post a photo of the label.

A lot of devices are multi-voltage these days as it generally reduces manufacturing costs, but best to be sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom