Wii U HDMI vs Official Wii Component Cable

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, will do some better comparisons for you but here are my early findings shot on 5mp(on my Nokia 808, will try some 40mp in daylight tomorrow).

2012-11-30-0212.jpg

^HDMI 1080p

2012-11-30-0217.jpg

2012-11-30-02201.jpg

^Official Component Cable 1080p

2012-11-30-0214.jpg

^HDMI 1080p

2012-11-30-0219.jpg

^Official Component Cable 720p

2012-11-30-02231.jpg

^Official Component Cable 1080p

I should add I haven't tinkered with TV settings on either option yet. I'm much preferring component at the moment, far more vivid colours.

[EDIT ok, I promised some 40mp comparison shots so here they are, have included a comparison from the PS3 demo also which to my eyes looks the best of the lot.

2012-12-22-03541_zps39318302.jpg

^PS3 HDMI via the Amp, set to 1080p

2012-12-22-03571_zpsb75f926d.jpg

^WiiU HDMI via the Amp, again set to 1080p

2012-12-22-03601_zps52171831.jpg

^WiiU using the Wii Official Component Cable, again via the Amp, set to 1080p

Last edited:
Thanks for that, WOW component looks way nicer on your TV. I wonder if those washed out colours are what has been mentioned about something being wrong with the Limited RGB on HDMI.

I might have to dig out my component cable after looking at those pics.

blimey, with the difference between those two its a shame you cant try RF too! :D

amazing the difference the component shows, even when snapped with a camera. so much for digital hey?

My mistake, you can select 1080p using Component, added a couple more pics to reflect this.

Component all the way for me, sound is fantastic too now running through my amp, perfectly happy with this set-up now:)

My mistake, you can select 1080p using Component, added a couple more pics to reflect this.

Component all the way for me, sound is fantastic too now running through my amp, perfectly happy with this set-up now:)

1080p on component, perfect. That's the way I'm going. Thanks for the info Tetlee:thumbsup:

That game looks brilliant too, Is it any good?

What TV have you got?

Last edited:
1080p on component, perfect. That's the way I'm going. Thanks for the info Tetlee:thumbsup:

That game looks brilliant too, Is it any good?

I'm really not sure if my amp played a part there, I'm sure 1080p gave me a blank screen when I went direct through my plasma first time around. Have it running through my amp now and before trying 1080i I thought I'd just check and sure enough worked.

Will be interested to see how other people get on with comparing their official component cables with the HDMI. For me it takes me back to when I compared third party component cables with the official back on the original Wii in terms of superior picture.

I suspect the TV will have a say on the picture setting as well.
How it handles digital and analogue.
So it may not be like that for everyone.

I suspect the TV will have a say on the picture setting as well.
How it handles digital and analogue.
So it may not be like that for everyone.

Indeed, like I said I'll be interested to see how other people get on. I know there are a fair few here that still have official Wii component cables hanging around.

I will say though that I have both PS3 and Xbox360 connected via HDMI and they both look just as vivid as the WiiU via component. Straight away I wasn't pleased with the slightly washed out colours of the WiiU over HDMI.

I'd played the demo of Sonic Racers a fair bit on the PS3(again, HDMI) so I knew what to expect in terms of image.

Last edited:
Tetlee said:
Indeed, like I said I'll be interested to see how other people get on. I know there are a fair few here that still have official Wii component cables hanging around.

I will say though that I have both PS3 and Xbox360 connected via HDMI and they both look just as vivid as the WiiU via component. Straight away I wasn't pleased with the slightly washed out colours of the WiiU over HDMI.

I'd played the demo of Sonic Racers a fair bit on the PS3(again, HDMI) so I knew what to expect in terms of image.

I have the official component lead. I might try it and see.

Had a quick go.
Well actually the menu made a slow process as you have to wait for the changes back and forth.

But I couldn't tell much difference on my Sony 52HX903
But admittedly it wasn't very scientific and in poor light.
Took some poor iPad pics and couldn't tell any difference.

This is taken from Eurogamer's Wii U hardware review and could explain what's happening with the HDMI signal in some cases.

"Nintendo appears to have taken a leaf out of Microsoft's book in terms of how various screen resolutions are dealt with. All of the games we've tested to date appear to operate at native 720p, but just like Xbox 360 the console outputs at any resolution you select, upscaling - or indeed downscaling - to your preferred video format. We'd have liked a 1366x768 option for native output for "HD ready" panels, but the available options are fine overall.

However, there is some unwelcome news - specifically that the HDMI output is locked to limited-range RGB only, with footage from all games we've captured thus far revealing absolutely no information in the 0-16 or 235-255 areas. Many digital displays - PC monitors in particular - don't operate correctly with limited-range RGB, giving washed out colours principally defined by blacks being more grey-like in nature. This is something Nintendo really needs to address as a matter of urgency - it's the most basic of omissions, something that Sony and Microsoft resolved to everyone's satisfaction many, many years ago.

Bizarrely, for a console launching when digital video standards are established and mature, many users may well find that they get a more vibrant picture by using the legacy component outputs."

Had a quick go.
Well actually the menu made a slow process as you have to wait for the changes back and forth.

But I couldn't tell much difference on my Sony 52HX903
But admittedly it wasn't very scientific and in poor light.
Took some poor iPad pics and couldn't tell any difference.

Yeh like Tetlee said, it may be a hit and miss affair depending on what TV you have. Still it's worth a try 'cos like in Tetlee's case, it's improved the colouring in the picture.

ps - I too have an official component cable so will try and report back later.

Last edited:
If it did dual output then would have easier to compare but it doesn't.
Trine is soooo... colourful and lavishly detailed. Lovely jubbly!

I tried with the official component cable and the best I could get was 1080i or 720p - when I selected 1080p I lost the picture. Took a screen shot before and after HDMI 1080p vs Component 720p and no colour difference.

Having said that, I'm more than happy with the vibrant colours from my HDMI 1080p set up and I've got surround sound too so that'll do for now :smashin:

I tried my non-official component cable and the picture is noticeably softer so I went back to the HDMI.

I don't think the picture through HDMI on my Panasonic plasma looks washed out so I will leave at that.

I tried my non-official component cable and the picture is noticeably softer so I went back to the HDMI.

I don't think the picture through HDMI on my Panasonic plasma looks washed out so I will leave at that.

To be honest the non official Wii component cables were pretty poor, I bought a couple of highly praised ones before settling on the official and the comparison was night and day. Soft image was exactly the experience I had with the non official ones.

Tetlee said:
To be honest the non official Wii component cables were pretty poor, I bought a couple of highly praised ones before settling on the official and the comparison was night and day. Soft image was exactly the experience I had with the non official ones.

That was my experience when the Wii was released back in 2006.
Had some GAME leads that I returned after the official component leads came back in stock.

Interesting thread I didnt realise the U worked with the old Wii Component cable i'll have to give it a try later. Lack of digital sound could be a deal breaker for me though.

As anyone else experienced overscan with component vs HDMI as that's what I'm getting on my Panasonic plasma

As anyone else experienced overscan with component vs HDMI as that's what I'm getting on my Panasonic plasma

There is an option somewhere, sorry but I can't remember where, to adjust the screen size.

I was getting loads of overscan on my Panny plasma, especially in the menus, before I adjusted it

There is an option somewhere, sorry but I can't remember where, to adjust the screen size.

I was getting loads of overscan on my Panny plasma, especially in the menus, before I adjusted it

I saw this option but couldnt find it again (console now boxed up for xmas)

Im sure ive since read that its an option whilst in the eshop

I saw this option but couldnt find it again (console now boxed up for xmas)

Im sure ive since read that its an option whilst in the eshop

I think you may be right:thumbsup:

Thanks all, yes I've done that but it seems to only work for the eshop... In game still overscans :( At least compared to the Gamepad view, very noticeable on Mario Bros

So no overscan in game anymore then? Have you got Mario to test?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom