Status
Not open for further replies.

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
Reaction score
e2hw.jpg

1. What types of pack can you buy?

There are 2 Wii U packs available:
  • Premium: Wii U console with 32Gb flash memory, GamePad (with it's own stylus, cradle, stand and AC adapter), Console Stand, AC Adapter, Sensor Bar, HDMI Cable (1.5m) PLUS Nintendo Land Software and Nintendo Premium Network.
  • Basic: Wii U console with 8Gb flash memory, GamePad (with it's own stylus and AC adapter), AC Adapter, HDMI Cable (1.5m) NOTE no Sensor Bar included but you need it to work (can use an older Wii one if you have it).
There are also Special Edition packs which may include specific games bundled in and/or be limited in supply.
Generally speaking, the extra value for money with the Premium Pack means it outsells the Basic, whereas the Basic is perfect if you're on a budget and have an old Wii to "cannibalise" for accessories (e.g. wiimotes and the sensor bar).

2. Will I need to buy an additional memory card to save my game progress?

No, the Wii U has memory built in for Wii U game saves, downloaded games etc. Note that the Premium pack Wii U has 4 times the memory capacity of the basic pack Wii U.

3. Is the inbuilt Wii U memory expandable?

The on-board memory is not but you can add external drives to act as storage. Nintendo recommend external drives with their own separte power supply (as opposed to portable ones that run off USB). For more information click here.

4. Can I transfer data from an old Wii to the new Wii U?

Yes, but ensure the Wii U is up to date first. Then follow these steps.

5. How can I link to my Club Nintendo account?

6. Does the Wii U support High Def video/images?

Yes. With the included HDMI cable, Wii U supports HD images of a resolution up to 1080p. Remember, Wii software will always be displayed in standard definition, not upscaled.

7. Can the Wii U console play DVDs?

In a word, No, there is no DVD playback on the Wii console.

8. How do I sync my Gamepad?

9. Can I browse the internet with my Wii U?

Yes you can, using the built in browser:

10. How can I connect the Wii U to my router?

The Wii U has built in WiFi which means so long as you have a wireless router you'll be able to connect it up to the internet straight out of the box.

Unfortunately there isn't a LAN socket in the console but if you do prefer to go wired, LAN adaptors can be picked up fairly cheaply either 3rd party & official. These adaptors are the same ones that worked with the Wii and plug into one of the rear USB sockets.

11. So what is the e-Shop and how do I navigate it?

(...cont)

(...cont)

12. How do I buy downloadable content?

13. What HDMI cable is best?

HDMI is digital so, over short runs, the one in the box will give you the same quality as one from the Pound shop or a £100 one from a dedicated cable company

14. Can I chat to my friends with the Wii U and what is the Plaza?

15. Can the Wii U output Surround Sound?

There is no separate standalone digital out for the Wii console:
in0b.jpg

Instead, the audio outputs via the HDMI cable as 5.1 channel sound either to your TV or audio system.

16. What controllers can I use?

You can use the supplied GamePad, a WiiMote, a Classic Controller (plugged into a wiimote) or the new Pro Controller:
u6dc.jpg

17. Are Wii U consoles/games region-free, can I buy games from other countries?

Wii U consoles & games are region locked (as was the Wii) so if you buy a PAL Wii U, then you are restricted to playing PAL games, European & Australian games also work on a UK PAL system as they are also PAL territories (the same can be said the other way around, i.e. European & Australian Wii Uconsoles will play UK PAL games).
Conversely, JAP (NTSC) and US (NTSC) games won't play on an EU console and EU (PAL) games won't work on a JAP or US console.

18. How about controllers/accesories etc. will the foreign ones work on my PAL console?

Yes they will, unlike the consoles & games, there is no region-coding with accessories so you are free to buy them from where ever you wish, so a US or JAP remote (for example) will work just fine on your PAL console (as it would the other way around too).

19. I'm thinking of importing a Wii U from the US, what are the negatives to buying an NTSC console?

It won't play UK PAL Wii U or Wii games (US NTSC only).

You will require a stepdown transformer or a third party multivoltage Wii U power supply.

The warranty will not be valid in the UK. If something does go wrong (which is unlikely but like with any consumer electronics product is possible) you will be on your own. Wii U's are generally very reliable but you never know.

The virtual console games selection varies from the UK one so you also won't have access to the exact same games.

19. How do I add funds to my online Nintendo account?

Note: This FAQ is a work in progress and therefore subject to change.

OK - so here is a Wii U console FAQ following on a similar vein to the previous Wii one.
Please read this first before posting as many of your answers will be here.

If there are any updates or errors, reply below and I'll update as needed :).

Very good instructions ... everything you wanted to know about the WII U but were afraid to ask.

Thanks for this, looking to get a wii u for my sons, but not used any previous wiis, can you expand the controller section a bit? I don't know what a wiimote is, and I'm assuming I want to get wii remote plus controllers? Like the one with the wii u party game:

Wii Party U with Remote Plus - White (Nintendo Wii U): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

How are these different to the old wii controllers? I see a red one in a pack with a wii play game, but doesn't say wii u? Is that because its a old wii game but a new controller?

Nintendo Wii Play: Motion Plus Wii Remote - Red: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

Also do the pluses fit in the old wii wheels? - definitely be getting mario cart when that comes out.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Old game yes but new controller and will work with your Wii U. The pluses are exactly the same size/dimension as the non-pluses so will work with the Wii wheel. They differ to the 'old' Wii mote in that they have 'motion plus' built in so no need to buy the add-on motion plus.

Other controllers that you may consider are the pro controller - very comfy and its battery lasts up to 80 hours.

Wii-U-Pro-Controller1.jpg

Hi folks

My kids are interested in spending some Christmas Money on one of these consoles.

They have the old wii and I understand games and controllers are compatible.

Do most of you buy a second controller thing, the one with the screen not the wii motes

Edit hadn't finished asking questions lol

Is the larger hard drive only needed if they want to buy digital games?

Does it in anyway sync/connect with the 3ds xls?

Everyone seems to rave about these consoles, just need to clarify what's what and which bundle to get

Thanks

Hi folks

My kids are interested in spending some Christmas Money on one of these consoles.

They have the old wii and I understand games and controllers are compatible.

Do most of you buy a second controller thing, the one with the screen not the wii motes

Edit hadn't finished asking questions lol

Is the larger hard drive only needed if they want to buy digital games?

Does it in anyway sync/connect with the 3ds xls?

Everyone seems to rave about these consoles, just need to clarify what's what and which bundle to get

Thanks

You got a gamepad (the one with the screen) with the console anyway, Most people buy the pro controller extra.

Thanks so no need for a second tablet type controller, even with 2 kids? Can they even be bought seperately? Couldn't seem to find one on Amazon

Not as far as i'm aware of mate.

Just bought a Wii second-hand that had no controller so bought a controller and some games from Cex.

Switching on the console it says press A on the controller to continue - nothing happening.

The four tiny blue lights on the bottom of the controller flash on and off intermittently and I put two new batteries in the controller.

Originally when I first started the console up there was a page with lots of icons and an arrow on the right hand side but the controller just isn't responsive.

Anyone know if it's something simple (other than the user lol) why it is not working, thanks in advance.

Just bought a Wii second-hand that had no controller so bought a controller and some games from Cex.

Switching on the console it says press A on the controller to continue - nothing happening.

The four tiny blue lights on the bottom of the controller flash on and off intermittently and I put two new batteries in the controller.

Originally when I first started the console up there was a page with lots of icons and an arrow on the right hand side but the controller just isn't responsive.

Anyone know if it's something simple (other than the user lol) why it is not working, thanks in advance.
You need to sync the wiimote. Ooen the little flap on the front of the wii and also the battery cover on the wiimote. There is a little red button on the wii and in the wii mote - preas them both and they'll sync.

You need to sync the wiimote. Ooen the little flap on the front of the wii and also the battery cover on the wiimote. There is a little red button on the wii and in the wii mote - preas them both and they'll sync.

I noticed the little red button the remote earlier. Will do this and thank you for the reply, I wasn't sure anyone would read it as this section seems little used nowadays.

I noticed the little red button the remote earlier. Will do this and thank you for the reply, I wasn't sure anyone would read it as this section seems little used nowadays.
No worries bud - yell if you get any other probs.

No worries bud - yell if you get any other probs.

Yelling again! It's certainly synced as per your instructions and I got the menu page again and SuperMarioKart has appeared top left box on the screen but using the mote there seems to be no way to navigate to it as the directionals at the top don't do anything. I can move left or right using the buttons either side of the A button and if I press home then I get the Wii menu where P1 is highlighted but the only action I can do is press home again to exit from the menu - any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Yelling again! It's certainly synced as per your instructions and I got the menu page again and SuperMarioKart has appeared top left box on the screen but using the mote there seems to be no way to navigate to it as the directionals at the top don't do anything. I can move left or right using the buttons either side of the A button and if I press home then I get the Wii menu where P1 is highlighted but the only action I can do is press home again to exit from the menu - any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
Did you get the sensor bar with the wii? It should be placed above your tv and plugged into the back of you wii. Then you point the wiimote at the tv like a remote control for your tv.

Did you get the sensor bar with the wii? It should be placed above your tv and plugged into the back of you wii. Then you point the wiimote at the tv like a remote control for your tv.

I did, yes. :blush: I wasn't sure what it was, the package had everything we need it seems bar the mote. Will attach the sensor bar and report back!

EDIT: All up and running now. :smashin:

Er, may I ask one final question - would you know if the Wii U controller would work with a Wii or not? There was one posted earlier in this thread and for racing games like on the PS4 I prefer this type of controller.

Last edited:
I did, yes. :blush: I wasn't sure what it was, the package had everything we need it seems bar the mote. Will attach the sensor bar and report back!

EDIT: All up and running now. :smashin:

Er, may I ask one final question - would you know if the Wii U controller would work with a Wii or not? There was one posted earlier in this thread and for racing games like on the PS4 I prefer this type of controller.
No the Wii U controllers wont work but you can get a Wii Pro Controller off ebay or see if someone on here has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom