Question Wii to Wii-U

bunyboy

Hi All,

I think this might just work but hoped to get some advice before going for it...

My daughter has started to get into gaming and I've dug out my old Wii to play with her (if she realy gets into it, I have an excuse to buy a Switch) and wondered what the best angle was to get the highest resolution out of it...

I've looked at getting component cables but have heard that the official ones are the best and they're going for around £25 on eBay.

I've also looked into the HDMI converter but have heard mixed reviews.

Another option is to buy a second hand Wii-U. I had a look and they seem to be going for £80+, which is more than I wanted to spend, but I can pick up just the console for around £30...

Would I be able to then use all my Wii power cables and controllers? Basically use it as an HD Wii? And then have the advantage of being able to play Wii-U games too. And do I need the handheld part if I'm just gaming on the TV?

Thank you so much for advice on this!

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Best option for Wii is component cables which will give 480p. No need to spend a fortune, I wouldn’t spend any more than £10 and there are quite a few that are cheaper than that too.

If you’re going down the WiiU route then the console on its own it pretty much useless as you do need the game pad to set it up.
From memory I’m pretty sure the power cables are different but you can use all Wii accessories with WiiU.
Using a WiiU as a Wii will still only give you 480p for the Wii side of things but the image will be upscaled to whatever the resolution is set at which can look worse not better.

bunyboy

Best option for Wii is component cables which will give 480p. No need to spend a fortune, I wouldn’t spend any more than £10 and there are quite a few that are cheaper than that too.

If you’re going down the WiiU route then the console on its own it pretty much useless as you do need the game pad to set it up.
From memory I’m pretty sure the power cables are different but you can use all Wii accessories with WiiU.
Using a WiiU as a Wii will still only give you 480p for the Wii side of things but the image will be upscaled to whatever the resolution is set at which can look worse not better.

Thanks for that. Really helpful. I was thinking that the Wii U might be useless without both parts, but hoping I was wrong.

I hear that the official Nintendo component cables are much better than third party ones, but don't know if there's any truth in that...?

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. Really helpful. I was thinking that the Wii U might be useless without both parts, but hoping I was wrong.

I hear that the official Nintendo component cables are much better than third party ones, but don't know if there's any truth in that...?
Would you believe Currys when they say you need an £80 HDMI cable when one for a £1 will suffice.
I’d say go for a cheap one and see how it goes.
Or go WiiU then use HDMI.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
If it’s a decent component cable then it shouldn’t really be any different from the official one.

Only for the GameCube was the official Nintendo component cable ever a must, & this was because the component cable contained a special video chip inside. Component cables on other consoles, any decently made component cable will do.

bunyboy

If it’s a decent component cable then it shouldn’t really be any different from the official one.

Only for the GameCube was the official Nintendo component cable ever a must, & this was because the component cable contained a special video chip inside. Component cables on other consoles, any decently made component cable will do.
But how can I tell which are decently made? They are all brands I've never heard of and around the same price on Amazon. Going for the official one seems to be the only way to tell it's going to be any good.

bunyboy

Would you believe Currys when they say you need an £80 HDMI cable when one for a £1 will suffice.
I’d say go for a cheap one and see how it goes.
Or go WiiU then use HDMI.
I'd love to go for a WiiU if I could have one for under £50. But anything more seems crazy if I can just get a cable for £10-20. I might as well just sell the Wii and get a Switch, rather than spend £100+ on a second hand WiiU...

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
But how can I tell which are decently made? They are all brands I've never heard of and around the same price on Amazon. Going for the official one seems to be the only way to tell it's going to be any good.
You’d probably be fine with one of the £3.99 ones, if it’s crap you send it back as most eBay listings have a free returns policy.
If you think that’s too low then I’d go £5 -£10 max as no point in spending anymore than you need to.
If you’d rather just get the official cable, well it’s your money.

Tooms

The benefit of the Wii U is that it connects with HDMI which makes things a bit easier to connect.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
The benefit of the Wii U is that it connects with HDMI which makes things a bit easier to connect.
The other benefit of course is you can also play WiiU games too :D
My 8 year old son loves my WiiU which he’s commandeered, there’s loads of games available that can be picked up pretty cheaply now too so I’d say the cost of WiiU is still more than worth it, especially as it both WiiU & Wii in one.

cmdrmarc

Hi All,

I think this might just work but hoped to get some advice before going for it...

My daughter has started to get into gaming and I've dug out my old Wii to play with her (if she realy gets into it, I have an excuse to buy a Switch) and wondered what the best angle was to get the highest resolution out of it...

I've looked at getting component cables but have heard that the official ones are the best and they're going for around £25 on eBay.

I've also looked into the HDMI converter but have heard mixed reviews.

Another option is to buy a second hand Wii-U. I had a look and they seem to be going for £80+, which is more than I wanted to spend, but I can pick up just the console for around £30...

Would I be able to then use all my Wii power cables and controllers? Basically use it as an HD Wii? And then have the advantage of being able to play Wii-U games too. And do I need the handheld part if I'm just gaming on the TV?

Thank you so much for advice on this!
I have a Wii2HDMI adaptor and think it's great - picture (to me) looks the came as a component cable, and is way easier.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
I have a Wii2HDMI adaptor and think it's great - picture (to me) looks the came as a component cable, and is way easier.
Didn’t even know one of those even existed, just had a look at a YouTube review and looks pretty good indeed.
Pretty cheap on eBay too so forget the component cable get one of these instead.

cmdrmarc

Didn’t even know one of those even existed, just had a look at a YouTube review and looks pretty good indeed.
Pretty cheap on eBay too so forget the component cable get one of these instead.
I've just ordered a PS2 one too to see if that works as well. I got a Composite to HDMI box for the N64 and it's ok, but 240 > 720 ain't pretty..!