Wii to be <250 euros over here, huh?!!!

R

rodeojoe

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6156302.html

Not sure if I'm the first to post this but gamestop heard this rumour, that puts it at what? £200 roughly, not all that reasonable compared to the £209 core 360. I'm hoping this price gives weight to the pack-in wii sports and 2nd controller rumours, then all would be karmic again :)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I can't see the Wii being released at anywhere near £200 in blighty, I feel sure that £150 will be tops, IMO any higher would be a bad move by Nintendo(hugely unlikely).

Kube

TBH i cant see it being any more expensive than the Gamecube was on release. I still predict a price tag of &#163;129.99.

tryingtimes

typical nonsense article mixing direct conversions with actual real world uk/us pricing.
Also this 'under' comment is just as vague as the e3 us dollar 'under' announcement.
I still predict less than &#163;150 and the &#163;129 price point is particularly attractive.

R

rodeojoe

I was a little high with with my euro translation I think :rolleyes:

My gut tells me this £170 figure is how it's gonna go down, which is probably why their waiting so long to announce it, leave it to the last second then bury it under all the other wii news
"Yay! here it is, here's the launch line up, the different colours, connects to DS oh and *cough cough* its £170" why else leave the announcement off so long?

Wow I'm pessimistic this week.....

Marky1973

maybe they are leaving it late to shock everyone how low the price is to generate a buying frenzy.....winning the Christmas console competition.....

And yes, my glass is half full!:D

kez

Distinguished Member
i won't be buying it at &#163;170, but i would at &#163;130

tryingtimes

Nintendo reckon that the vast majority of users only make purchasing decisions within one month.
So they see no reason to release the info early.
The reason to delay is to keep their cards close to their chest to keep competetive advantage. See what happened with controller motion sensors ;)

kiran_mk2

It's been stated by two parties (EA and an alayst company) in the last week or so that they expect the Wii to retail at $170 due to better than expected chip yields (ie the opposite of what Sony are experiencing with the Cell). A straight conversion leads to a price of &#163;90. Add on VAT and it rises to &#163;105.

Remember, Nintendo don't sell consoles at a loss so this would include a healthy amount of profit. If Ninteno UK could take the &#163;5 hit, then the idea of a &#163;99 Wii sells itself. Add a &#163;130 pack including Wii sports and 2nd controller and they're away.

tryingtimes

I think that Nintendo DO sell consoles at a loss, but not for an extended period, unlike MS. I bet the smaller versions of PSOne and PStwo also make a profit.

Kube

I dont have the fiqures to hand but i can safely tell you that Nintendo have NEVER sold any console or handheld at a loss.

fizzgog

£150.00 or less is perfect for me. i intend to spend 200-225 on console/games/accessories anyway.
...pete

gingerone

tryingtimes said:
I think that Nintendo DO sell consoles at a loss, but not for an extended period, unlike MS. I bet the smaller versions of PSOne and PStwo also make a profit.
Both the Ds and the Gamecube made a profit straight away.
I don't believe nintendo have made a loss on a new console since the N64.
Nintendo can't afford to absorb the cost the way sony and MS can, the shareholders will not have it.

dodger747

Novice Member
Kube said:
I dont have the fiqures to hand but i can safely tell you that Nintendo have NEVER sold any console or handheld at a loss.
Indeed,

their aim is to make a profit from day one, which when thinking about is not a bad business model...:smashin:

rss

£170 is a bit too close to the 360. £129 would be a steal. But £150 i'd be happy to fork out for.

Throttle

I hope its priced at £150 or less if it ends up priced much more i could see a few possible customers just getting the 360 core instead and the Wii being a flop :eek:
And whens anybody going to start taking pre-orders for them or a genuine official uk price gonna appear :boring:

Miyazaki

Novice Member
£170 with two remotes and a decent game would be a fair price IMO.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Games Guru said:
£170 with two remotes and a decent game would be a fair price IMO.
Price is immaterial I would buy one even if it cost more than a 360 Premium just as a base pack.

Cant say I've been this excited about a new console since the launch of the Super NES.

Neil

gingerone

Soundwave said:
Price is immaterial I would buy one even if it cost more than a 360 Premium just as a base pack.

Cant say I've been this excited about a new console since the launch of the Super NES.

Neil
I used to feel that way but I'm so into my DS at the moment that I'm in no great rush to buy a new console but if it's below £150 then I'll get it sooner rather than later.:smashin:

General Panic

Novice Member
Sub £150 i would seriously cosider it but even for £20-30 more which TBH isn't a whole lot i would hesitate and see what the game line up will be.

Must be a psychological thing or something? Hopeing for £129.99.

Wiggins

Personally I'm more concerned about the cost of the games for Wii. I see play are putting out prices of 49.99- a tenner more than 360 games (at least online). I hope this is just enthusiastic pricing by play, and not the norm. Anyone know if Nintendo have given a price point for software?