Wii Sports Boxing Techniques Thread

artois

Novice Member
I'm having a really tuff time getting to grips with this. I find the control really loose.

I think it might be the angle and direction Im holding the controllers at but it seems to do what it likes when it likes half the time. I found a control list on gamespot forums that a member had put up but it didnt really seem to replicate the actual movement of boxing.

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/sports/wiisports/show_msgs.html?topic_id=m-1-31960451

Some of these moves work but I thought swinging a nice big hook with your arm would replicate a nice big hook in the game the same way that a back hander in tennis is replicated.

Can someone please advise on how to do certain punches. Also. It feels to me like the left nunchuck is a little less reponsive than the remote but again I think I may be holding it wrong. It definatly does work but it seems to be random. Im really looking for the movement needed and the technique.

Uppercuts seem to be a flick up of the wrist. Jabs seem to be okay and work as you would expect almost, but very random in their timing.

Hooks I have no Idea how to do.

Also what angle are you supposed to hold the controllers for body shots.

I'm probably being really thick but I cant seem to figure this out and I was at it for ages trying to get it. I just wish their was a training mode that wasnt on a timer.

:lease:

The manual is all but useless so any advice would go down a treat.

artois

Novice Member
Good find Paul. :smashin:

I thought the boxing had potential. I was just finding it frustrating with a lack of direction. Hopefully that lot will work next time I try it.

Paul1110

Novice Member
I can't play my Wii until Christmas day but i've been looking for tips on how to play some of the Wii sports games and that link looked really helpful so i saved it in my favourites.
I'll have Zelda Wiiplay extra Nunchuk and i'm just waiting on component cables,it should be really good fun playing Wii sports on boxing day when all the family come round for the evening.

artois

Novice Member
Totally. Mines is for xmas too but the family were round last night so I managed to persuade the wife to get it out. Luckiily it wasnt wrapped yet. Sore today though. lol

willp2003

i might give boxing another go after reading that. good find

dan1979

I've had a nigh on impossible time trying to do the hitting the pads training mode, I just keep smacking the trainer.

Sometimes I'll throw a right and it doesn't register but my body movement had made the nunchuk slightly move and I throw a left into his face.

locky79

Novice Member
i think you have to dodge left or right to hit the pads.

just my 2 cent (or 2pence)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Digging this thread out of the grave seeing as the last reply was 2006:eek::D

Been a bit bored the past couple of days and decided to try and get back into Wii Sports Boxing.

As much as I LOVE the concept I still can't get on with the controls in this game sadly. have read through the IGN guide which is linked to in this thread, aswell as others, but the controls simply don't respond as described no matter how much I try to follow them.

Jabs are usually fine & I can pull of upper-cuts with relative consistency but hooks, no chance! Seems to be more down to luck than judgement IMO. This is taking into account that you lose control slightly after throwing a big punch or received a body blow yourself etc.

Biggest probelm for me is with the unresponsive nunchuk, why there couldn't have been an option to use two remotes for single player I don't know. I can move up through the ranks fine until I get close to hitting pro, then the comp. opponent just seems to know my weakness and consistently ducks to my left(the nunchuk side) where I can't get my punches working properly at all, really frustrates me TBH as it's as if the game is acknowledging and exploiting the control weakness & using it against you.

Going to keep persisting for the time being in case something clicks, so much want an interactive boxing game that works and would like to be given faith that the Wii has the potential for this. Imagine a Wii Fight Night(which I know will probably never happen as apparently EA have now dropped that series:mad:) but with responsive Wii controls, would be a match made in heaven!

Anyway, how's everyone else getting on with Wii Sports Boxing these days, do any of you still play and what is your current rank?

NinaMyers

Novice Member
Thanks for bumping the thread :thumbsup:

Just recently got back into Wii Sports, I am now ranked just over 1700 at boxing!! I'm not really much of a puncher to be honest, I dodge from left to right constantly until my opponent goes for a big hit, here there's about a second or so, where you see it in slo-mo, then I attack , unleashing a combo.

The earlier opponents are KO'd pretty quickly, but as you get higher up the pro ranks, they recover much more quickly

Agree with the target practice in the training section, I always give the trainer a sore one or two!!!:rotfl:

shed

Novice Member
Biggest probelm for me is with the unresponsive nunchuk, why there couldn't have been an option to use two remotes for single player I don't know. I can move up through the ranks fine until I get close to hitting pro, then the comp. opponent just seems to know my weakness and consistently ducks to my left(the nunchuk side) where I can't get my punches working properly at all, really frustrates me TBH as it's as if the game is acknowledging and exploiting the control weakness & using it against you.

Going to keep persisting for the time being in case something clicks, so much want an interactive boxing game that works and would like to be given faith that the Wii has the potential for this. Imagine a Wii Fight Night(which I know will probably never happen as apparently EA have now dropped that series:mad:) but with responsive Wii controls, would be a match made in heaven!

Anyway, how's everyone else getting on with Wii Sports Boxing these days, do any of you still play and what is your current rank?
Odd, for me I find the nunchuk, in my left hand, is far more responsive than using the remote in my right. I found once I got more into the traditional boxing stance with my left side further forward I could reliably through punches with either hand, quick jabs with the left and big hits with the right. Also less power is good as making your character throw a big punch means he/she can't through another one straight away, leaving you open. Fairly small movements are the key which is apparently why kids and the fairer sex tend to be better at this game, us men a swinging too hard (or at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;) ). Having said all that though, I still find it difficult to throw punches at specific heights and impossible to pull off hooks or uppercuts reliably.

Anyway, I did manage to get to about 1500 rank (I think) using one pretty simple technique. Dodging. I found it pretty easy to beat the computer by just weaving from left to right and waiting for them to miss with a big shot. When that happens time slows down and you get that whooshing noise that's the perfect opportunity to hit 'em with a quick left right combo, usually good enough to take down at least two sections of their heath circle thing. Then rinse and repeat. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Whoops! Err yeah basically exactly what Nina said.

Sly Fly

Same here! I'm a dodger not a puncher (until the time is right!) :thumbsup:

I don't half work up a sweat playing Boxing. :eek:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I don't half work up a sweat playing Boxing. :eek:
lol, me too, one of the good things about the game as I don't feel quite as lazy playing it;)

Cheers for the tips, will give the whole dodging technique a try, also I probably do get carried away throwing full punches myself rather than the more realistic & required Wii smaller more exaggerated movements, guess it's our desire to be the next Rocky:D

Steller4Wii

Standard Member
Okay, I have noticed if you force the controller vertically(upward) quite fast, you can pull off those hooks. I tried only doing the upward motion on the Training on the punching bag, and got great results.

My boxing skill level was 1198, then I tried doing the upward motion when the opponent was low on "health", and got faster knockouts, not needing to work up a sweat. I have improved my skill to 1232 (34pts).

I am left-handed, so I do not know how you right-handers will do with it. I'm pretty sure it will work the same. Tell me how you all do.