Wii seems very hot!

kreeeee

The bottom of my Wii seems to get incredibly hat, almost too hot to touch, when lying flat. It seems to do this even when off which I find very odd, does anyone elses do this?

Thanks.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Can't say I've noticed that but I've loads of disk error problems, had to unplug the console of couple of times and leave it unplugged for about five minutes to fix the problem

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
I noticed this earlier when I pulled it out to connect the RGB Scart Cable, could it have something to do with WiiConnect24 because when its off I would have thought it wouldnt be generating heat but with WiiConnect24 enabled it is always on.

hpoom

I hope heat is not a problem when layed flat. I want to have mine flat but might have to buy some feet to lift it up and let air get arround it to cool it down. Does anybody lese have this problem?

kreeeee

I noticed this earlier when I pulled it out to connect the RGB Scart Cable, could it have something to do with WiiConnect24 because when its off I would have thought it wouldnt be generating heat but with WiiConnect24 enabled it is always on.

Ah yes mine was hot when it was off too!

I'll turn off standby wii connect and see if that helps.

Edit:

With wii connect 24 standby set to off my wii is cold when off and I get the red standby light rather than the orange one I had previously.

J

jj81

I found this http://www2.elecom.co.jp/accessory/cooling-sheet/index.asp on internet. They are cooling pads for laptops. They sould work on the Wii as well I think.

sx-p2.jpg

sx02.jpg

nickp8

Ah yes mine was hot when it was off too!

I'll turn off standby wii connect and see if that helps.

Edit:

With wii connect 24 standby set to off my wii is cold when off and I get the red standby light rather than the orange one I had previously.

Thanks for that. Was switching mine off at the mains as it was getting hot when in standby.

Nickp.

hpoom

I was going to place my Wii on top of my PVR, but now I am worried about heat. Is it OK to place to Wii on top of another peice of equipment, or do I need to place it on it's own shelf?

JonStatt

Mine is positioned vertically in the stand and it remains warm but definitely not hot. So indeed this may be an issue when the unit is placed on its belly.

Jonathan

Mafro

Can't say I've noticed that but I've loads of disk error problems, had to unplug the console of couple of times and leave it unplugged for about five minutes to fix the problem

That's happened to me twice and only during COD3. Think it's more to do with the game rather than the actual console because it does seem quite buggy.

breakersrevenge

My sons been playing on Zelda for around an hour or so, Just had a 'feel' of the wii, cool as a cucumber!

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
So it seems that the solution to the warm underside is to turn off the WiiConnect24 feature.

Ch0pper

If you hold the powere button down on the colsole it turns it off properly (red light) rather than off but with COnnect 24 still running (orange light)

hpoom

What about people who have their horizontal, is it still cool after a couple of hours of gameplay? Any what do people think about sticking the Wii onto of another device like a PVR, or DVD player?

Jeff

Distinguished Member
I have mine horizontal, it stays cool even after many hours in use.

DaveC

Actually I noticed that mine is much warmer when it's switched off (orange light) than it is after a couple of hours of use?? I guess the cooling fan doesn't operate while in standby mode, but it seems that there is still a lot of electronics switched on inside.

hpoom

Ah that explains it, it is probably like the Gamecube when switched on, has fans running and is very cool. But when switched off has the wireless adapter working with no fan. I am not so worried now, but I still think I will put some rubber feet on it before putting it on top of my PVR to give it room to stay cool.

fizzgog

wii horizontal hot
wii vertical warm
that just about explains my situation
pete

wardi

Ours vertical in the stand thing, cool/room temp and a little warmer towards the back on one side.

Its been on for a few hours

Darbo

I don't think it's a good idea to place the wii on top of your pvr, the hard drive in the pvr won't take kindly to the excess heat from the wii and may start to glitch/lock up, heat is a hard drives worst enemy apparantly.....that and hammers, they don't like hammers either.

hpoom

I don't think it's a good idea to place the wii on top of your pvr, the hard drive in the pvr won't take kindly to the excess heat from the wii and may start to glitch/lock up, heat is a hard drives worst enemy apparantly.....that and hammers, they don't like hammers either.

OK So maybe I will not put it on top of the PVR. Can you all help with sugestions as to where I can put it?

Here is a picture of my setup, I wanted to stick it where the red oval is, and loose my VCR (which I don't use). When I get it on xmas day I will probably stick it where the blue oval is, but in the long term I don note want to stick anything where the blue and green ovals are (I like the clean, uncluttered look). So the only other option is to loose the tape deck (which I no longer use) and put it where the yellow oval is.

What I really need is another shelf, loose the VCR, move the PVR down, and then put the new shelf above PVR, below tape deck and place Wii on that.

So suggestions please? as I am all out of ideas!

setup.JPG

The_Wierd

OK So maybe I will not put it on top of the PVR. Can you all help with sugestions as to where I can put it?

Here is a picture of my setup, I wanted to stick it where the red oval is, and loose my VCR (which I don't use). When I get it on xmas day I will probably stick it where the blue oval is, but in the long term I don note want to stick anything where the blue and green ovals are (I like the clean, uncluttered look). So the only other option is to loose the tape deck (which I no longer use) and put it where the yellow oval is.

What I really need is another shelf, loose the VCR, move the PVR down, and then put the new shelf above PVR, below tape deck and place Wii on that.

So suggestions please? as I am all out of ideas!

setup.JPG

The Wii really is wee. If you didn't peek already, it's about the size of 3 DVD cases stacked up, so you can measure up with that. You'll find it's much smaller than it looks in pictures - you can almost certainly put it on it's side on either your av rack next to your amp other kit, or on the tv shelf next to your centre speaker. It definitely doesn't need a shelf of it's own - you'll hardly even know its there apart from the grin on your face :smashin:

shagaboopon

I was going to say mine doesn't get that hot but to be honest I rarely check as I power on and off with the wiimote. I think the odd time I have changed disk it was warm but not hot, mine is standing vertically in the stand.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution