• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wii questions...

E

eonone

Basically Im new to the Wii, got a PAL Wii and got a few games, also Im using a component cable in 480P mode.

1...Ive noticed a couple of games going into Interlace mode automatically, any reason?

2...Is there any difference between a NTSC game and a PAL game? Does the NTSC game run faster without borders?

3...I tried my orignal NTSC Gamecube Twilight Princess and it didnt work, any reason?

4...Do I need a Gamecube pad to play gamecube games or can I use the Wii Remote?

Thanks in advance

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
AFAIK games are region encoded.
As for GC games, you'll need a GC pad and don't forget a memory card.
Not too sure about the interlacing so i'll let someone else answer that one!

RichKS

1...Ive noticed a couple of games going into Interlace mode automatically, any reason?

There have been a lot of threads about this and elsewhere. Progressive mode isn't properly implemented on PAL Wiis. Having said that, some US users are also complaining that their displays drop signal occasionally in progressive mode, but I've never seen that with mine. (using Themescene HD70 projector)

2...Is there any difference between a NTSC game and a PAL game? Does the NTSC game run faster without borders?

I can't really comment about the PAL Wii, but the US one I have works fine and without borders. I think most PAL games implement a 60 Hz mode these days, but wouldn't be the right person to ask really (haven't owned a PAL console since the SNES).

3...I tried my orignal NTSC Gamecube Twilight Princess and it didnt work, any reason?

PAL Wiis will not play US games. At this stage (IIRC) there is no way get them to do so short of some hardcore modchip malarkey which to be honest I don't think know much about.

4...Do I need a Gamecube pad to play gamecube games or can I use the Wii Remote?

Yes, you'll need a GC controller of some kind to play GC games. The wireless Wavebird ones work fine if you can get them. Also the weird bongo controller works fine too.

Hope some of that helps.

D

Deleted member 65413

As said above Wiis are region coded. However you can buy the latest version of freeloader to play US GC games on a PAL Wii, handy if you have US Zelda for the cube. Freeloader are also working on a Wii version.

Hi/zuum

However you can buy the latest version of freeloader to play US GC games on a PAL Wii, handy if you have US Zelda for the cube.

Can you tell me which one off playasia? Is it the new Pal freeloader for the Wii?. I've got an older Pal version for the gamecube & tried the disc swap tech. no where near...:rolleyes:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Or if you don't want to buy a freeloader you can use this method here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-BzBXAYm4

I can confirm that with a bit of practice and timing this works every time.

I'd be very wary of using that method personally. After seeing how fragile the drive teeth are(someone here posted some pics after one of the cog teeth broke off) I wouldn't think it advisable removing & reinserting disks that quickly.

With the latest version of freeloader being compatible with the Wii for Gamecube games I wouldn't think it's worth risking that method.

D

Deleted member 65413

Can you tell me which one off playasia? Is it the new Pal freeloader for the Wii?. I've got an older Pal version for the gamecube & tried the disc swap tech. no where near...:rolleyes:

Get the new one, i have the old version as well but it doesnt work. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom