Wii - Picture distortion/ digital artifacts & other display problems

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by blastoff2k, Sep 20, 2007.

1. blastoff2k

blastoff2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, i've been experiencing problems with the picture on my Wii. It's been happening for a while but i've thought nothing of it. The only words i can use to describe what's happening are that the picture looks really distorted. I'm running the Wii through component, but it also happens when i run it through AV.

To better show you what i mean i've tried to take a picture of this:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the type of thing i mean is on Leon, most of the time it's even worse than this with the fuzz stuff going in strips down the screen. It's a very fuzzy picture. I'm hoping i'm being really stupid and it's something to do with settings.

I heard somewhere it might be something to do with the heat from Wiiconnect24 so i've turned that off and it's not helped. Should i contact Nintendo or is it fixable (in terms of settings, as apposed to me doing anything inside the console)?

Cheers for looking.
    Craig

2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Hmm, it does sound as though your Wii might have developed a fault. I haven't actually seem any pics but I know Resi4 is one of the games that shows the most when a Wii console is on it's way out.

As for posting a picture, best to upload it to something like photobucket or any other image hosting programs that are free to use on the internet, then post the image link and it will display nice and clearly.

If you can get a pic up then I'm sure somebody will be able be able to confirm this or reassure you otherwise.

3. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    I second what Tetlee said, I am sorry to say, but you have a faulty unit there. Those interferences you are seeing on screen is the wii overheating if I remember correctly and I dont think you can get rid of them yourself. Nintendo will fix/replace it free of charge, or you could try and take it to the store you bought it from an get it exchanged. If you google wii overheating you will see some issues people have been having like yourself. Some people try to prevent the wii from overheating by not putting there wii onto wii24 (standby)

Sorry to hear your probs, but you should have no probs getting it replaced/fixed...if you bought it in the uk. :)

4. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Now you've added the picture it definitely looks like what others have described. Apparently it's a fault brought out by Wii Connect 24(although you've since disabled it, I suspect it was too late), I don't think anyone's sure if it's actually caused by WC24 or if it just brings the fault out earlier than it would have otherwise surfaced.

As stooshee commented, best get in touch with either the retailer you bought it from for a replacement or if you prefer send it back to Nintendo for repair.

Sorry to hear it's developed a fault, hope you get it sorted quickly.

5. daven1986

daven1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    does this also happen on new consoles or is it just the old ones?

6. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    I think it's a problem that mainly(perhaps even only) occurs in the early consoles, especially the launch batch. Mine is a launch console so I've had concerns of this happening, at least now I know what to look out for.

I bought a Wii cooling stand a few weeks ago and although the fan doesn't feel to have any power it does keep the console permanently cool which I've been impressed with, it used to get very warm on the side in standby with WC24 enabled.

7. blastoff2k

blastoff2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've send an email to Nintendo's Service center thing along with the picture so i'm just waiting for them to get back to me.

My 360's just gone about a week a go as well! Everything i'm touching is dying haha! Oh well, at least it's happened before my years guarentee has run out 'ey.

Cheers guys

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I hope not. Mine is a launch console and a US one like yours. If anything happens to it I have no recourse and would have to buy another one. :eek:

Luckily so far mine has been fine. :thumbsup:

9. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    I must admit I am a bit confused. I was getting a little worried about the heat that the wii was giving off on standby so I have taken standy off in the options menu instead of just turning off wii connect 24. It sounds a silly question but what is the difference? Is there really need to turn off wii connect if you just put the standby to off?

10. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Personally I find that turning WC24(standby) off in the options/settings menu makes the console a bit temperamental when connecting to the internet. Best solution I find is to leave it enabled but when powering the console down hold down the actual console power button for 5 seconds to get the red standby light rather than the orange one(there by shutting it down completely, including WC24).

Might sound like the same difference but I find it alot less fussy doing it this way and the shopping channel etc. connect first time, unlike when I used to have WC24 disabled from the options menu. You'll find the console doesn't even get warm this way.

11. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    I have had my Wii for around 6 months and no problems but just lately I have noticed artifacts, like shimmering pixels only bigger, appearing around the screen, usually in the same places. It seems to be worse in certain games (Mario Galaxy and Metroid being the worst) but it seems so much noticable on a 42 LCD.

I just can't find the damn receipt and Asda (where I bought it) have no stock to replace it. I could buy one elsewhere and get a refund if only I could lay my hand on that receipt....

Anyone else noticed this? They look like really big pixels that sort of flicker on and off giving a shimmer effect.
    Someone else mentioned it on a game forum as a result of GPU overheating or bad ram and it does seem worse after an hour or so of play. Any ideas?

12. vinvader

vinvader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    Yeah I get this on mine occasionly :(. I first noticed it on Zelda TP where it was quite bad on the foggy swamp level. On all my other games I haven't or rarely notice it (haven't noticed it at all on Galaxy...... yet:rolleyes:

Whilst I do find it a bit annoying it dosen't bother me enough to do anything about it.

13. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Hi Splinters69, have merged your thread with this one as it sounds like the same problem, hopefully you might find it helpful.

Also try using the search tab with words like "problem" or "image" as I think there are a few more threads discussing similar problems within this forum.

Good luck!

14. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Thanks for that, I felt a bit of a prat when I saw there was a dedicate Wii thread...:suicide:

However, looking at that Resident Evil shot is spooky as I was playing it today on a similar LG LCD and it looks identical to what I have...looks like leon is just entering the matrix.

So, problem identified and now I just have to ring Asda daily until they get stock...then I can exchange it.

By the way, with Chrimbo coming and kids getting some Wii games, has anyone's Wii actually died from this 'overheating'?

15. m_e_r_c

m_e_r_c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

ive noticed some strange lines in some games and wii menue :(
    the wii ist connected via component 480p, sammy le40n87 lcd!
    here a some pictures of red steel ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see, the lines are not going over the whole screen. so i think
    this isnt the wiiconnect overheating issue ...

is this normal, any other ppl with this "prob" :confused:

16. m_e_r_c

m_e_r_c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone confirm my prob. :confused:

17. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Looks like some sort of interference or fault in the connection. Is it in all games, same part of the screen , certain times of day etc. Is it there when you watch DVD's or other sources? Is there anything near the TV or the Wii causing interference...so many possibilities...:(

My artifacts were very obviously the overheating problem but I got a refund and am now the proud owner of a spanking new console with a full year guarantee. Seems to be a newer model too with the serial number at the bottom now, different packaging and the wii glove as standard.

Let us know if you can narrow this down to any particular thing. Did you try connecting with the standard composite cable?

18. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    @BlastOff2k Can I just confirm what Tetlee said.....it is indeed an issue with the graphics chip.
    Basically, with WC24 turned on and Standby Connect turned on, when on standby, the Wii is generating heat as it's internals are still running (e.g. the Wi-Fi), but the fans are not.
    The heat itself isn't enough to do much damage normally, but a combination of slow build up of heat, cramped space internally and prolonged period of time all conspire to create a larger .....how do I say?.,.... heat density around the GPU. The GPU can't withstand it, so it gets damaged.

Fixes:
    1. Buy a fan stand/USB fan. Means that the console is cooler to start off with. Also, my USB fan runs when in "orange standby" anyway (only doesn't run when fully powered down - red LED).
    2. Simply remember to turn the Wii on 1-2 a day and play for >1 hour each time. This will switch the fans on and actually cool better than when on Standby
    3. Ensure plenty of space around the console so that what little airflow there is is unobstructed
    4. Leave the Wii in "Red LED" completely off mode.

The confusion arises in that Ninty developed WC24 and Standby Connect as seperate buttons. I have a screen grab here of how it should work:
    [​IMG]

Referring to the chart, it's important to note that situation 2 (WiFi on when Wii on, off when off) actually doesn't work as intended. For some reason, the console simply switches WiFi off altogether (so it actually acts like situation 1 instead).
    Due to this, I do as Tetlee does and leave WC24 on and Standby Connect on but do a "5 second power down" to Red LED status instead. This way, WiFi is off when Wii is off, but fully working when turned on (i.e. as situation 2 should be).

Nintendo could easily sort out this whole mess by giving us a system update that tells the fans to turn on for 10min every hour (or something) when in "orange LED" mode, and heat build up can be "cured"......

......we live in hope ;)

19. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    There may be more to this than simply overheating. There have been reports of GPU damage, either from heat, prolonged use or simply a faulty chip. There is also the suggestion that the RAM might be at fault. Think about it, if you overclock your GPU or RAM in a PC, you are overclocking and reducing the lifespan of your components with the real risk of complete burnout i.e. total irrepairable failure.

If you Wii is under warranty, return it to the store for replacement or to Nintendo for a fix. I find it helps to buy from stores (ideally supermarkets) where they do not have 'repair' facilities and therefore have to exchange or refund. I took mine back to Asda after 7 months with no receipt (only a bank statement) and got a full refund as they had no stock.

Hope this helps.

20. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    I forgot to mention that before I returned my Wii to Asda I arranged to return it to Nintendo. They said that without a receipt they would have to charge for repair but were happy to accept the bank/card statement to show the day I bought it even though it did not state what the item was.

Out of curiosity I asked how much the charge would have been and he said it would be one of two: £28 or £73 (or thereabouts) depending on the extent of the damage, so it might not be all bad if you are out of warranty. I believe they pay the P+P too within warranty.

He advised to play (continuously) as little as possible and to get it repaired ASAP before it cause further damage...

21. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Yep, that's what I'm saying....heat build up damaging the GPU. Every single case I've come across with this involves the Wii being fine at purchase and developing this fault one day. Also, the Wii was always on "orange LED" when off prior to the fault in every case......so it appears to be over time and mainly due to Standby Connect.
    I don't know much about overclocking but why do you think Nintendo overclock their Wii's in manufacture? (you could be right, but I doubt they would - thier R&D would've sussed the correct speeds of the chips ages ago in the "planning stage" of the console).
    Regardless of what component is at fault, heat damage could affect any one of them, but it doesn't matter as Nintendo replace the whole Mobo on repair or send a brand new one.

I forgot to mention to those of you still with this issue, once damaged, the GPU cannot "recover".....it will be always damaged necessitating a repair (ie being "careful" after this won't help). You have to send it in for repair (or to the shop as Splinters69 did - glad you got yours sorted btw :)).

Fortunately, Nintendo customer service appears to be top notch - just remember to tell them to transfer VC and game saves across if giving you a new one :smashin:.

22. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Just turned the Wii on for the first time in a while and I've got vertical artifacts everywhere. The thing's red hot so I've unplugged for a while and I'll try again. If it's no better I'll take it into game tomorrow. They been ok with swapping them? I'm not sending it back to nintendo.

23. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It sounds like overheating is causing the GPU to malfunction. You could monitor it to see if it happens again which it may do. It might be worth getting it replaced now.

24. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Going to let it cool down then plug it back in. Reckon Game will just swap it?

25. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Took it into game tonight and got it changed. Apparently there's been a few back with the same problem.

26. diduseethat

diduseethat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all brought a wii and got it chipped but after a week of having it chipped my wii has started to show black dots on most games and i believe Nintendo know this is a major problem. My drive also finds it hard to read games this happened before i had it chipped. I have read else where on the net if i get the mod chip taken out so it looks like it has not been modded, nintendo will repair my machine is this true ??? My wii is only 4 weeks old in total !! or do i claim of the guy who modded the console ???

27. coluigi

coluigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I seem to remember that some peoples graphics cards overheated resulting in graphical issues. Sounds like this could have happened to your wii. Or it could have happened during mod chip installation.

If you're going to send it back to be repaired I'd personally remove the chip, as Ninty could easily refuse to repair it (due to breaking warranty) - depends how thorough they are.

Or, you'll have to put up with it/attempt your own fix/buy a new wii.

There's always a risk run when installing a modchip; the console might break. FYI, there's a freeloader thread on these forums that'll let you play different region games without a mod chip.

28. andytabor

andytabor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i had the exact same problem, i think its due to wii connect24 frying the graphics chip, the wii generates the same amount of heat in this mode but the fans arent running to dissipate it. nintendo repaired my wii straight away, it was not chipped though.

i think even if you remove the chip the seal over the screws at the bottom of the console will show signs of being tampered with and they wont touch it as theyll be able to tell the console has been opened up at some stage.

29. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Merged into the display problems thread, obviously you have an added complication with the fact you've had your Wii chipped(which will make your warranty void and possibly lead to Nintendo refusing a repair) but you might find the information here helpful anyway.

Good luck.

30. T-Bone

T-Bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have this same fault and I first noticed it two months ago while playing Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.

It was only a few random dots - no-where near as bad as the resident evil 4 image on the first page of this thread. I was expecting it to get progressively worse but there was been no change and I have barely noticed it recently!