Wii or Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by SuperGoku, Sep 10, 2007.

1. SuperGoku

SuperGoku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm going to get a new mobile contract with either an xbox 360 core system or Wii with wii sports, well i have heard about the xbox 360 problems concerning the 3 red lights and other hardware issues, put me off a bit but i also heard that Microsoft recently upgraded the warrenty for the xbox 360 to 3 years for free, that gives me more confidence but I want to know from current xbox 360 owners, does your machine give you trouble? And would you reccommend a Wii over the Xbox 360? (Anyone can answer the latter)

Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

in our house we have 1 Wii, 2x XBOX360's, and a PS3
    my sons XBOX360 is one from the original batch he had it the week after launch.
    none of them have given any indication of a fault.

in my understaning the problems are from heat, so with this in mind i dont place ours on the carpet but on a shelf with good air flow around them (they get very hot) we never leave them on over night etc
    the one in the front room is in a cupboard but when its in use the doors are left open to aid air flow

my daughter has a Wii
    a Wii and an XBOX360 are not the same i.e
    XBOX 360 is more of a serious gamers thing
    A Wii is a family fun thing (also good if you have friends around)

If i was you i would go along to a shop and have a play on them before you decide.

personnally i would have the XBOX360 Elite over Wii or PS3 for that matter

Hope this helps

3. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Yeh try and have a play with a couple of games in store and even take a look at the games available on each etc. I have a 360, PS3 and wii and love them all but for different reasons. 360 has got the widest choice of games but both PS3 and wii have some great games coming out in the build up to xmas so plenty to choose from.

As reliability goes me and my friends have never had any problems what so ever with our 360's.

4. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Do you already play games? Have you previously owned a Nintendo, PS, Xbox? If you liked any of them systems in the past then it may give you an idea what to go for - essentially these consoles do what previous ones did just with bells and whistles on :)

If you want choice then Xbox 360 had the headstart, so in theory most games, however perhaps won't give you most variety as a lot of them are quite genric e.g. FPS, Racers, Sports Titles (same with PS3). Reliability seems to be a real issue, and admitted by MS as they now offer the 3yr warranty. As you will have perhaps read on here the 360 does other things as well as games.

Also if you are in to or interested in online games, then 360 is a good choice, and has a good infrastructure but at a price (PS3 is free)

Not sure how useful an Xbox Core is without the Hard Disk, it may be something you have to buy straight away, + wireless bridge if needed, so that will add to costs. :eek:

The Wii is innovative, but openly uses old technology, if you really what HD then it may no be the best choice. I love Wii Sports, but I can't help but think there really isn't much choice of games (for me any way). However lots of those special Nintendo titles on their way, Mario, Mario Kart etc.

Personally I am not sure on the Wii, its the first console I have bought (excl handhelds) where I have thought - it this a waste of money, should I get rid - not sold it yet - but not sure how long I can wait for my type of games.

It also does Web access and had wireless buit in :cool:

You didn't ask about PS3, perhaps because it is not on the mobile contract offer due to price - but well worth a look - it does a lot out of the box and its time will come - some potential classic games on their way.

Hope this helps.

5. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Which mobile phone contract are you getting (if you don't mind me asking), as mine's is about to finish.:smashin:

6. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Hmm, tricky one this. I own both a 360 & a Wii(perfect combination:)).

I definitely play the Xbox360 alot more than the Wii mainly due to online gaming. The 360 is almost built around online play so if you like to play online with your friends the 360 is certainly the better choice IMO, even with the £40(or less if you shop around) subs. The Wii is getting off the ground with online play(which is subscription free BTW) but without any headset announcement I personally find it difficult to get excited about online play without voice comms.

The Wii is starting to see the AAA releases now it's almost a year old so it's a good time to buy one. If you like Nintendo franchises such as Mario, MarioKart, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. etc. etc. then they always seem to have a certain uniqueness from the other console games.

If you like more serious racing games then I would recommend the 360, it has them by the bucketload, Forza 2, DiRT, Sega Rally Revo, PGR4! Mind you if you're more into casual fun racers ala MarioKart, then the Wii is a great choice, Excite Truck is alot of fun, Nitro Bike is looking good and due in a couple of months, MatioKart Wii is due Q1 next year.

FPS games, the 360 again has them by the bucketload with more and more being released, the look amazing but some people struggle with the twin analogue control of a traditional joypad. The Wii has alot less FPSers but.... you have the unique control method of the nunchuk & remote which is as close as you're going to get to the ever popular keyboard/mouse controls of PC gaming. They might not look as good graphically but they're coming along very well now with the superb Metroid Prime 3 and the soon to be releases MoH Heroes 2 looking very promising.

As for reliability, I've owned my 360 since launch and it's been fine(touch wood), TBH I've had alot more problems with games freezing on the Wii and needing a hard reset than I have on the 360. But, the 360 certainly has a quite bad reputation for failures. The newly announced 3 years warrenty for the 3 red lights helps but out of the two I personally would say the Wii would be the better choice if reliability is a big deciding factor.

Obviously there's alot more to it than just what I've mentioned above but really you could go on all day listing the pros and cons, best thing is just look at the reviews list from the online sites such as IGN, gamespot, gamerankings, metacritic etc. and see which console has more games that look like your cuppa tea. Each to their own at the end of the day;)

7. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Glad to see you took my advice and posted in here as well :thumbsup: after posting the same thread in the 360 forum Saiyan :smashin:

The answers and comments you've had in here seem to me to be far more unbiased and constructive than some of those immature wii/PS3 bashing comments from the xbox 360 fanboys :thumbsup:

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    What mobile phone contract are you getting may I ask? Would be interested in a 360 to compliment the Wii if its a decent deal

As above if reliability is a factor certainly the Wii looks better on that front. Warranty helps with the 360 but tbh I feel Microsoft shouldn't have needed to do it in the first place. Wii I feel is more "party friendly"... read getting the girls involved :D :devil: But the friend code system is frankly clunky and I hope for the next round Nintendo embrace online fully like the excellent xbox live

As above the Wii is my first console excl handhelds I have bought. Don't count Nes and Megadrive as they were bought for me :p I would have liked the Wii to have been a halfway house of at least 720p as the titles looks a little frayed at the edges even in comparison to my medium-high laptop running F.E.A.R.

360 has a much bigger games library but it depends. I got my Wii 2 weeks ago and am playing Zelda. Resi 4 is sitting there and Paper Mario and Metroid are on my want list. Uni term starts in 2 weeks so it will probably be 1 game per 1 month/1.5 month. Dammit

9. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Look mate , Halo 3 will be released in two weeks time and will only be available on the 360. It is set to be the biggest and best selling game of all time. For this reason alone I would suggest that the 360 is the only real choice !

10. ZebraheadDude

ZebraheadDude
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If you're not into party games, and want seriously great games (Dead Rising, Oblivion, Lost Planet, Halo 3, C&C 3, Bioshock, DOA4, Enchanted Arms, Blue Dragon, Rainbow 6 Vegas... need I go on?) and a top notch online service, the 360 is the way to go :smashin:.

11. SuperGoku

SuperGoku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the replies, they are helpful. :thumbsup:

BorisKarloff: Its good to hear that the 360s you have dont cause problems, point noted about keeping the 360 well ventalated. :)

addyb: I tried a racer on the 360, good graphics but boring game, thats mainly because i am not into "normal" racers like Gran Tourismo, i'm more into kart racers and destruction racing. Havent tried a Wii but i'll look and see if i can find a store which has it displayed

mattrixdesign2: I have some previous consoles, Master System, Mega Drive, Playstation 1 and PS2 and more recently bought the Gamecube, and i really like Mario kart on the gamecube, very addictive. Never owned a Microsoft console.

Oh and the PS3 was too expensive with the contract, but I prefer the Playstation by far over Nintendo and Microsoft, a PS3 is a definate for me but thats in the future, maybe when its a bit cheaper.

Naqv and LFC_SL: I am getting a £20 per month contract on 3 Texter for 18 months, with the LGu8300, here's the link if it helps: http://www.buymobilephones.net/store/merchant-4-63-1137-phones.ihtml

I know its an old phone but its not bad with the 360.

Tetlee: Yeah both 360 and Wii have games which interest me, though i dont use online on my previous consoles or PC, its not a big factor for me, maybe that may change.

KinkyAffro: Yeah thanks for the advice. :) This forum has very helpful people and that makes it good.

BISHI: Never played any Halo game but i know its very popular, i just hope its not overrated like Super smash brothers melee (dont like that game). But Halo 3 will be a good addition, do you need to know the story of the 1st 2 for the 3rd game?

ZebraheadDude: Thanks for the list, sounds good, i do like multiplayer games but havent played much party games, a good co-op role player/beat em up is also enjoyable, i have my sights set on Kameo-Elements of power. If anyone has played that game, let me know what you think of it. :)

12. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I have a 360 that I got at UK launch along with a Wii that I also got at UK launch. The 360 locked up on me a few times during NBA Street, but only did so when the console was vertical, after I lay it flat again it's been fine - that's with NBA Street as well as Bioshock and others.

My Wii is faulty and I have been attempting to get Nintendo to talk to me about it for 3 weeks now but have yet to receive any response to my e-mails. I am going through Nintendo as I have 9 Virtual Console games that I want to keep (don't want to pay for them a 2nd time) and need to ensure they can do this for me.

My brothers 9 month old X360 failed with the 3 red lights and MS collected it and sent a repaired one within the 3 weeks I've been waiting on Nintendo doing something about my Wii.

My overall opinion from this is that although MS and the 360 get a bad name for reliability, this is compensated by the fact that when you have a problem then MS will get your console repaired in a far more timely basis than Nintendo. There are a couple of Wii games I had preordered (Super Paper Mario and Mario Galaxy) but as my Wii is not working properly then I've cancelled them. There are enough games to play on my PC, 360 and PS3. I really liked the Wii and would not have hesitated in recommending it before, but I have a very sour taste in my mouth now and am far from happy with Nintendo.

13. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Id choose the 360 i have the 360 Wii and Ps3 and 360 always has had more use by far imo it has alot better online setup and more games out now and better new releases and overall online setup idea and achievements are good idea :thumbsup:

The Wii is a good console and i like Nintendo games but like the Ps3 the online side seems more of a after thought than quality of live and achievements ideas and i tend to play online alot of the time i know 360 might not have best record for being reliable but with a warranty upgraded from 12month now to 3 years you cant really complain come 3 years later there would most likely be the latest Ps, Wii and M$ console by then.

Anyhow there both very good and i wouldnt get rid off any as each system has a big game i like or coming out but personally id have the 360 given the choice :D

14. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I asked myself the same question and went with the 360. Price was roughly the same given the wii add-ons I'd need.

Reasons I went for the 360:

Couple of games I really wanted, Forza 2 and Virtua Tennis 3 - no chance of getting them on the wii

Live arcade looks better than the rip-off virtual console, XBLA improves on the old games and gives new options, VC you might as well just use an emulator and save the money. Also, XBLA lets you try the games before buying, vc doesnt'.

Ability to download demos, I don't want to waste time or money on games I don't get on with, I've got about twenty demos already on my 360.

Too many games with dodgy controls getting bad reviews on the wii, most of the release line-up looks to be budget novelty titles.

Live, not really using it but it's nice to have when I get somewhere near competent at some games.

The only thing I'm going to miss out on really is the wii zapper, I love lightgun games but there's no chance of getting any on the 360. Also Mario Kart is a loss but then they're never as good as the snes version anyway.

15. ZebraheadDude

ZebraheadDude
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    After owning a Wii with several games, the gimmicky novelty of the remote wears of very fast, leaves you yearning for a "normal" game :rotfl:

16. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    IMO as a PS3 is already on your wish list, then I would go the way of the Wii, the reason I say that is essentially the 360/PS3 will offer very similar games, control methods, gfx, sfx (for me the PS3 had the edge as it will get Metal Solid, GT first and they are two essential games for me, also like the "free" online aspect).

The Wii would give you a nice alternative to the PS3, you could re-live those master system / mega drive / game cube games easily too. Having said that at the mo it bores the pants of me :confused:

17. tigernuts

tigernuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just some thoughts on the 360, the only one of the current, er, or, er next gen, er what are they now...anywaaaaaay...I don't have a wii or ps3 so cannot comment, other than ps3 priced itself outside my tolerance and no games that appealed, and the wii, well only a very limited number of games appeal to me as well.

A couple of people posted about having a 360 and not being bothered about the online element. When I bought it last year I was so-so about online play. I thought it wasn't for me, too hardcore, too competitive etc etc.

After dipping my toe initially I now play the vast majority of my time online with generally the same peeps. It has taken time to get that friend's list but it adds such a massive improvement, especially with voice comms. It really has improved my gaming experience no end and I would hate to have a console that did not let me do that.

18. JENeric

JENeric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    To be honest, on a site such as this, most people will go for the 360. The Wii tends to appeal more to the casual gamer, and casual gamers tend not to surf internet sites like this.

Personally, I've never been interested in the Wii. Having owned all the previous generations of Nintendo hardware, going all the way back to the Snes, I've found I never really played any of them, averaging about 3 games per console.

The fact you haven't got any other next gen consoles, & you getting the Wii or 360 as part of a phone contract, makes me believe you're more of a casual gamer. If that's the case, then the Wii might be the better option.

19. thedude2011

thedude2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have all 3 the wii xbox360 and the ps3 and persoanly i would go for the 360 .......but the wii is an allround console any 1 can play it from a 7 year old to a 70 year old its got to be the best console for when you have more than 2 people wanting to play in the room .....the wii is a for fun and the 360 is for sitting for hours on end till you cant stay awake no more lol and the ps3 is just for blue-ray untill :D :D :D MGS4 metal gear solid 4 :D :D

20. Noggleboggleman

Noggleboggleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I bought a Wii just after Christmas and it was enjoyable for a couple of months, especially when we went around to other people's houses. Unfortunately the novelty wore off and decent games were thin on the ground. I sold it on ebay and bought a 360 with the money. I am really pleased that I did as I have played on the 360 far more than I ever played on the Wii. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Wii at times - I just found myself hardly plying it and in the month before I sold it I had played on it only a couple of times. I would have both consoles if I could afford it.

I often look at the Wii chart in shops and there is nothing there that really stands out to me as a game I would get the console for. In fact the best game I played on it was Godfather - I loved that and it was pretty overlooked unfortunately.

21. Dan81

Dan81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got rid of my 360 for a Wii - but I still think get the 360.

The Wii is great fun and there will be some good titles late this year / early next....but I have just bought a PS3 as the novelty does wear off and you just want a decent game to play without waving your arms like a lunatic.

PS3 doesnt have many itself right now but the 360 has loads of brill games - some of them can be picked up really cheap too.

22. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Does anyone else just lose interest in a Wii game around halfway though it and just can't be bothered going back to it? Its always the same for me. Play a new wii game, think to myself this is really good and then suddenly after a few days its like the game loses all interest for me midway through. This has happened with every Wii game I've bought apart from Zelda. Red Steel, Excite Truck, Trauma Centre and now Paper Mario. I just can't be bothered finishing them. Where as compared to 360 games I finish them all and enjoy them to the very end and in some cases even play through them again. Just don't know what it is about Wii games :confused: After 2 or 3 days they just become :boring:

23. Noggleboggleman

Noggleboggleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I agree, although it happened to Zelda with me aswell. Thoroughly enjoyed The Godfather, though I never finished that either. I just kept going back to tennis, and then thinking how ace it would be if it was a proper tennis game with career mode etc.

24. parker1979

parker1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont choose have both become a Wii60 zombie like the rest of us a crave for PS3 brains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    This is a hard question really, most people own a 360/ps3 AND wii, i have a 360 and a wii but if i had to choose one it would be the 360, although the wii can be more fun with a few friends, or at a party.

26. Echizen

Echizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for a 360. I have a Wii, and I am planning on buying a 360 soon.
    The Wii is fun, but is rubbish for online play. It only has 2 online games. Even when more come out, its all friend codes and stuff. As people have said, the novelty of the remote wears of fast. Although the Wii has some games coming out soon that look great, I would rather have a 360 at this current time :clap:

EDIT: http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=dettagli&codart=XB23600
    Cheapest 360 Premium around ;D