Wii Modchip Available Soon ..........

nickp8

Novice Member

Indiana Jones

Since when could the Wii run DVD movies?

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
that page to me sounds like wishfull thinking. i bet they havent even starteed on it yet :rotfl:

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
There were rumours a few weeks back that there will be a version of the Wii that will allow DVD playback & probably just a firmware fix for all us early adopters.

It does run games off DVD after all so would expect it to be simple to make it run movies as well.

Neil

MyBigToe

Novice Member
There were rumours a few weeks back that there will be a version of the Wii that will allow DVD playback & probably just a firmware fix for all us early adopters.

It does run games off DVD after all so would expect it to be simple to make it run movies as well.

Neil
it apparently "requires more than a firmware upgrade", so i wouldnt hope too much

I think the wii discs are still a proprietary format using the same format as gamecube discs (thus why it only needs the one laser to read both discs) as it stops them from having to pay DVD licensing.

Essentially, you'll need a whole new console to play dvds without damaging the laser I expect.

Also, the dvd player is only cofrimed for japan so far

Coolit

Novice Member
If thats a genuine Viper release, theres every chance (in fact, a high chance) they have a working chip, Viper were the first to crack the GC and provide a modchip solution for the masses.

Personally I wont be chipping my Wii, I like to have the real deal game wise, theres just something about owning the originals :) you dont appreciate games when you have 100's of copies.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
If thats a genuine Viper release, theres every chance (in fact, a high chance) they have a working chip, Viper were the first to crack the GC and provide a modchip solution for the masses.

Personally I wont be chipping my Wii, I like to have the real deal game wise, theres just something about owning the originals :) you dont appreciate games when you have 100's of copies.
Just because you have a modchip doesnt mean you have to buy pirate software does it??

If there is one available I will probably consider it this time...I REALLY need to play Bleach & as far as I'm aware this will only get a JAP release & as there is no way I can afford nor want a second a Wii to play one game I will look into the possibilty of a chip that will allow me to do so.

Remember as well US/Jap software is normally cheaper than the UK equivalant so a chip to enable me to buy cheaper games will be most welcome.

Neil

Coolit

Novice Member
Just because you have a modchip doesnt mean you have to buy pirate software does it??

If there is one available I will probably consider it this time...I REALLY need to play Bleach & as far as I'm aware this will only get a JAP release & as there is no way I can afford nor want a second a Wii to play one game I will look into the possibilty of a chip that will allow me to do so.

Remember as well US/Jap software is normally cheaper than the UK equivalant so a chip to enable me to buy cheaper games will be most welcome.

Neil
Without turning this into a massive debate about the does and dont's of chipping, I think no one can deny that the vast majority of people would chip their systems simply to play copy games.

Apart from that, its illegal to circumvent copy protection with a chip.

Gold Feet

Novice Member
A website taking the Wii apart for some internal pics, managed to break it quite easily, I'm not sure if I fancy opening up a small box with components so tightly packed.

Simebaby

Looks fake... mostly because of this:

The Nintendo GameCube Optical Disc is the media format used by the Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo Wii

Looks like a copy 'n' paste of the sheet for the gamecube mod chip.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Regardless of whether this is fake or not, a Wii mod chip to allow people to play the likes of a version of Mame on it would superb.

I'm sure Nintendo will have put things in place to try and stop this though as if you can run unassigned code (Mame, MD/SNES/NES/PCE/N64 emulators etc.) on the Wii it pretty much makes the VC redundant.