wii in hi def - worth it?

P

pierrecarey

there is a componant cable for the wii but i dont understand what difference it can make - dont get me wrong (i love the wii) but it seems that high definition isnt really worth it with the wii's graphics??? what are your views? does it look any better?

P

pierrecarey

It is actually alot clearer, but i dont understand why the wii graphics dont match any of the other next gen consoles? should we expect better looking games in the future?

andytabor

i wouldnt get an hdtv just to play a wii but if you have one or plan to buy one then a component cable is a must in my opinion, anything else would look a bit pants on a lcd/plasma. ive got mine setup at 480p on mine and looks nice and crisp.

hopefully we'll see more and more better looking games for the wii, hd support would have meant a much more expensive console, i think nintendo have went on the side or caution with hdtv support, people with an hd telly are still very much in the minority and i think nintendo are focusing on people that dont necessarily want incredible graphics.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Absolutely. But I was impressed by the difference in composite vs component in the gamespot comparison. As a student, the Wii's price point is giving it the edge over the 360 atm for me.

n00b alert - component is HD only right? :blush:

Steven

Senior Moderator
Y'know what, I think I need to go away and do some reading :D :blush:

I'm going with the "I'm still young" defence :hiya:

Indiana Jones

It is actually alot clearer, but i dont understand why the wii graphics dont match any of the other next gen consoles? should we expect better looking games in the future?

That might have something to do with the fact that the Wii is no where near as powerfull as either of them and from what I have read its only abit better than a Gamecube so games may get a little better but what we have now is pretty much the best we are going to get and if you ever thought differently I am afraid you are mistaken.

Also, the Wii may use a component cable but dont confuse that with HD because the Wii does not output HD, just 480i/576i/480p

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I think we've yet to see what graphics the Wii is capable of. I mean we all know it can't compete with the PS3 or Xbox360 in terms of HD graphics, but so far I don't think any of the Wii releases have rivalled some of the best Gamecube games which obviously it's more than capable of doing. Isn't the Wii supposed to be approximately twice the power of the Gamecube, or close to it?

When I look at Resi4 on the Cube for instance it gives me hope of what we've yet to see from the Wii, I'm sure this time next year we'll have some beautiful looking games on the console. I expect quite a few people to eat their words on what the Wii is capable of(not intended as a stab at anyone here by the way).

moofie

The component cable is definately worth it if you have the connections on your TV. Picture's nice and sharp/colourful compared to the muddy, crosshatching with a standard composite cable.

I think the Wii should be able to do more too but not much more than the Gamecube since the GPU/video memory are the essentially the same but run at different speeds. I guess its like high and low end graphics cards of the same series. They're capable of the same graphical effects but high end ones can handle more at an acceptable frame rate.

G a f f e r

As Indy rightly said, the Wii cannot output HD anyway...at best it can do 480p.

Re: graphics...try heatseeker, graphics are gorgeous on this game (quite apart from that old chestnut "Gameplay matters more than graphics anyway" argument :D)

jamiey

I think we've yet to see what graphics the Wii is capable of. I mean we all know it can't compete with the PS3 or Xbox360 in terms of HD graphics, but so far I don't think any of the Wii releases have rivalled some of the best Gamecube games which obviously it's more than capable of doing. Isn't the Wii supposed to be approximately twice the power of the Gamecube, or close to it?

When I look at Resi4 on the Cube for instance it gives me hope of what we've yet to see from the Wii, I'm sure this time next year we'll have some beautiful looking games on the console. I expect quite a few people to eat their words on what the Wii is capable of(not intended as a stab at anyone here by the way).

I agree look at Pikmin or F-zero on the cube. they looked amazing.

Of the games I have only Monkey ball come close to the cube.

Still, don't expect miracles at 480P.

Tri11

Actually guys, 480p is a 'HD' resolution, as all HD really means is running in progressive scan on a large screen. 480p is the lowest HD resolution, and even the old CRTs which had component input could show it. It's just that at the time when CRTs had component, the highest resolution was 480p and wasn't used very often. Some of the later toshiba widescreens had some awsome pictures through component.

Phil :cool:

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Thought the Zelda pictures on my 4805 were very blurry got the component cable and it transformed the game very sharp pictures makes a world of difference:thumbsup:

Indiana Jones

Actually guys, 480p is a 'HD' resolution, as all HD really means is running in progressive scan on a large screen. 480p is the lowest HD resolution, and even the old CRTs which had component input could show it. It's just that at the time when CRTs had component, the highest resolution was 480p and wasn't used very often. Some of the later toshiba widescreens had some awsome pictures through component.

Phil :cool:

I thought the minimum HD res was 720p? and if 1080i is interlaced and not progressive does that mean it isnt HD?

butleri

HD isn't just about the resolution - its a TV standard in the same way PAL and NTSC are.

480p is a HD signal because although the resolution is not above standard TV the colour reproduction, sharpness etc are using the HD standard. Clearly though 720p, 1080i/p is a higher resolution but the colour reproduction etc is the same uality on all of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom