Wii in 4:3 when going through Onkyo amp

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got my Wii connected to my Onkyo 705 amp via Component. My amp is connected to my TV via HDMI.
Why is my Wii outputting a 4:3 picture instead of a widescreen picture on my TV?
I've set my Wii to 16:9 and 480p output.

I've connected my 360 in the same way and it's fine.

If all else fails I might have to go back to going direct to my TV with component.

My Onkyo 605 does this if I select 720p upscaling in the hidden menu. Maybe yours is the same?

hi fingers

are you saying that if you select 720p then it outputs in 4:3 and if you deselect it then it displays in widescreen.

If so how do you get to the hidden menu ?

hi fingers

are you saying that if you select 720p then it outputs in 4:3 and if you deselect it then it displays in widescreen.

If so how do you get to the hidden menu ?

That's right, on the 605 you hold aux and standby on the player to access the menu. Hope that helps you.

Hi there.

I've been monitoring this thread as i've got a Nintendo Wii for my GF for xmas. I bought the component cable to go through my 605. Is there any setting i MUST choose (on 605 or Wii) to ensure maximum audio / visual performance?

:smashin:

Got a problem with the aspect ratio of my Wii

I have the wii connected up to the Onkyo 605 via component.

This is then output via HDMI (and auto scaled to 720p using the secret menu) to my TV.

Problem is that the output is 4:3. Anyone know why or got the same problem?

Before you ask

1. My Wii is set to 480p and widescreen
2. My TV is set to widescreen (I also have a projector hooked up and it does the same so it's not a problem with the telly)
3. If I set my TV to 4:3 the picture goes even smaller
4. All other inputs are output fine

Any ideas??

Thanks

Not sure on what would be causing your problem unless there are issues with running from component to HDMI, Do you have a spare component on the TV you could use and just let the onkyo sort out the audio?

I do have a spare slot on my TV but I also have a projector which I like to use for it. Thats 10m away so couldn't use that.

What game are you testing with? Reason I ask is strangely not all Wii games support widescreen and display in 4:3 aspect ratio(I think Mario Party is one).

No doubt you've tried Wii Sports so for sure you'd be aware(as that obviously does display in 16:9) but thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

Just a guess, but does the secret menu in the 605 have a hidden setting for aspect ratio?

Got a problem with the aspect ratio of my Wii

I have the wii connected up to the Onkyo 605 via component.

This is then output via HDMI (and auto scaled to 720p using the secret menu) to my TV.

Problem is that the output is 4:3. Anyone know why or got the same problem?

Before you ask

1. My Wii is set to 480p and widescreen
2. My TV is set to widescreen (I also have a projector hooked up and it does the same so it's not a problem with the telly)
3. If I set my TV to 4:3 the picture goes even smaller
4. All other inputs are output fine

Any ideas??

Thanks

Mine is displayed across the whole screen (16:9) but looks a bit squashed up (i.e. the bowling ball looks like more a rugby ball on wii sports) this is on a Onkyo 705 connected the same way as yours.

I also output to a PJ and its the same on there, if I go direct to the TV with component all is fine so I guess its something to do with the upconversion from component to HDMI within the amp.

I have seen this asked before (check out the 605 & 705 amp threads) but not seen a soloution so far :(

Can you tell me about this 'secret menu' :confused:

Can you tell me about this 'secret menu' :confused:

On the 605 the secret menu can be accessed by holding "AUX" and then the power button on the front of the unit (not the remote).

I'm not into messing with the settings but i believe our only options on the 605 are to change the brightness(??) or change the source to upscale to 720p.

The menu only appears on the amp's display and option can be selected / changed using the arrows on the remote ;)

This thread saved my day :thumbsup: but now I ran to another problem... damn :suicide:

I have my Wii connected to Onkyo TX-SR605 through composite video / audio, and I'm forwarding the video through HDMI to my telly. Playing Wii games or doing anything else with the Wii works OK... but yesterday I downloaded some NES classics to the Wii. Playing the classics leads to severe video problems: the screen is blank, game screen just popping up occasionally and disappearing again. While hooking the Wii straight to my TV --> no problems.

Anyone else met this problem and did you find a way to solve it? Wonder if connecting Wii to Onkyo through component would help...

(I have been very content with the Onkyo so far but battling with the video problems is starting to get on my nerves... This is not the first one, also had problems with Topfield cable box through Onkyo!)

Replying to myself: this is actually not an Onkyo related problem, but a problem with the resolution of Wii games. More info: www.wiiremix.com/showthread.php/wii-virtual-console-2666.html

Did this ever get resolved?

I am about to buy a Wii component to connect to Onkyo 605, which will go via HDMI to TV. Will the output be 4:3 only?

Merged into similar thread.

Did this ever get resolved?

I am about to buy a Wii component to connect to Onkyo 605, which will go via HDMI to TV. Will the output be 4:3 only?

Just don't use 720p upscaling and it should work fine, also in widescreen mode. Some virtual console games probably have problems.

Mine does this occasionally. (Wii --component--> Onkyo 674 --hdmi--> TV). If i just turn the amp off then on again it tends to sort itself out and reverts back to widescreen.

Also, try turning wii off and amp then all back on again. Always seems to work for me.

My 875 does this
When i try to play virtual console games i get sound but no pcture
I guess i will have to connect direct to the TV :(
Wii games play fine though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom