Wii from the USA

H

hardyz2

Hi everyone,
I am of on holiday on Thursday to the States, and was wondering if it is worth buying a Wii from over there for my son. Are there any major drawbacks from having an American machine, or would it be ok if I were to get it chipped. Is there anything that I should know before I go ahead and by one.

Cheers,
Hardyz2 :clap:

Problems
power supply wrong voltage
Warranty not valid here
UK games wont work without a chip being fitted
Vat and customs due at the airport

answer buy one here

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0258657

in stock at 14.31 04.09

buy a stepdown convertor for the power supply
UK games are more expensive and come out later ie trauma centre, paper mario etc, there are loads of online retailers that will ship from the US to UK eg vg+, dvdboxoffice, movietyme CHEAPER than HMV, Woolies
Are you really going to declare the wii when you go through customs???

Warrenty would be the only issue should it fail, but how many nintendo wii do you know have failed in comparison to the 360 and finally if you use the virtual console, you get full screen full speed versions rather than the bordered, 17.5% slowdown super deformed steriod look of the uk version. No brainer imho if you can find one.

All of my problems listed are valid, plus low resale value and lower chance of trading in games, he can then make up his own mind.

also use the code student07 on my previous post to save an extra 15%

My response would be pretty much along the same lines as the one I gave in the similar thread you started about getting a PS3 from the US.

Won't play UK Wii games.
Won't play UK Gamecube games
Will require a stepdown transformer or a third party multivoltage Wii power supply.
The warranty will not be valid in the UK. If something does go wrong which is unlikely but like with any consumer electronics product is possible you will be on your own. Wii's are generally very reliable but you never know.
The weather and news information is geared towards North and South America. Infact you can only choose a city in North or South America as your local region on the Wii.
The virtual console games selection varies from the UK one so won't have access to the exact same games.

Again unless you know what you're getting into it may not be a good idea.

Also it is going to be virtually impossible to find one there as the shortages are even worse then they are here.

As I used Freeloader for my Cube (once it was finally released) and then bought all my subsequent games as imports, I went down the US route, and I've not regrets about it at all. I get my games from VG+ and dvdbo and I can save money there, and as has already been said, I get the proper versions of the VC games.

Warranty might be a possible issue, but Ninty consoles are generally extremely reliable. You've just got the problem of finding a console now!

Just got back from New York.

The Toys R Us in Times Square had a Stack taller than me (6ft) of Wii's for $249.99 (£123.73).

I wasn't tempted for all the reasons mentioned before.

Steve.

All of my problems listed are valid, plus low resale value and lower chance of trading in games, he can then make up his own mind.

also use the code student07 on my previous post to save an extra 15%

code does not work

code does not work

Yes sorry they won't accept the code any more they have now added the text one per customer and"Sorry, due to the competitive price of this product discount codes are not redeemable against this item" since my first post

If I buy one from the USA when I go there on hols, what issues am I going to face?

Will I need to get it chipped to play UK games? If so, how hard is this and how much does it cost?

What about the voltage difference? Or are they multi-voltage and just need a different plug?

There's a thread 3 down from yours. Surely you must have seen it? :rolleyes:

Mods, I would suggest you add Moogle's post in that thread to the FAQ

There's a thread 3 down from yours. Surely you must have seen it? :rolleyes:

Mods, I would suggest you add Moogle's post in that thread to the FAQ

Merged these threads as they're the same discussion. Yeah, will add that to the FAQ, was already thinking that when I read it before, just haven't got around to it yet.

[EDIT]Have now added Moogles list to the FAQ, as well as a list below it of some positive points.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom