• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wii FreeLoader(compatible with any region Wii/Gamecube games) available now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65413

Would be nice to have it work with both US Wii titles and US Gamecube titles.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
*Changed the thread title*

Great little update on the Wii freeloader front :clap:

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/02/28/where-is-the-wii-freeloader-oh-its-finally-here/

Had been considering getting my US Wii chipped in order to purchase a PAL version of MarioKart while in England, looks like I might not need to!

Taken from the codejunkies website:

This is the one you've all been waiting for! Wii FreeLoader lets you play ANY region of Wii or GameCube game on your Nintendo Wii! At last, you can import games from other territories and play them on your Wii…

Videogamers the world over get really frustrated when games are released in other territories long before they reach the shops in their home country, if they ever get released at all. You want to play that blockbuster survival horror which is out in Japan three months before it hits the shelves elsewhere. What about the soccer or F1 sim which only gets a European release or a gridiron football or NBL baseball game that's never released outside the States? Or maybe you bought an imported Wii because you wanted to get it early, and you now want to play games from your own region without buying a second machine. Well, now you can. With Wii FreeLoader, you can play ANY region of game on your Wii!

Wii FreeLoader is really easy to use. Simply insert your FreeLoader disc and load it in the usual way. When the drive stops, eject the Wii FreeLoader disc and insert the game, which then loads and plays just like it would on its own region of Wii. It's as simple as that!

Wii FreeLoader is 100% unofficial, but as it requires no modifications to your console, it does not invalidate the warranty. As well as letting you play Wii games from all regions, Wii FreeLoader also works with imported GameCube games when played on your Wii. It won't work in a GameCube console, though – for that, you need Freeloader for GameCube, also available from Codejunkies…

I suppose there's a real risk that any future in-game forced software updates could kill the compatibility, a chance I'll be taking with MarioKart though.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Eh? That's the codejunkies UK site, just registered and in the list of countries in the Shipto section it lists the UK

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Eh? That's the codejunkies UK site, just registered and in the list of countries in the Shipto section it lists the UK

Doh! Had already discovered the codejunkies site before seeing your reply, seems I was on the US one:rolleyes:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Was going to, just created an account but they only deliver to the US and Canada.

Ah well, I don't need one until the PAL version of MarioKart Wii releases anyway, hopefully should be available from the likes of VG+ and playasia long before then.

I've just managed to order one shipping to UK (£9.99 + £5.21 p&p), not too sure where it's coming from but could be an option for you perhaps? :)

EDIT: Double D'oh, missed the above whilst ordering ^^ :suicide:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I've just managed to order one shipping to UK (£9.99 + £5.21 p&p)

Shipping is a little pricey, just have to hope amazon honour my MarioKart £19.99 preorder I got in a couple of days ago.

Just filling in the address details, what the hell does this mean?:confused:

em First, MI:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Shipping is a little pricey, just have to hope amazon honour my MarioKart £19.99 preorder I got in a couple of days ago.

Just filling in the address details, what the hell does this mean?:confused:

It means shoddy website development:D

I reckon it should read/means, 'Name First, Middle Initial'

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Let's hope Nintendo doesn't come up with a firmware update that renders it useless.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I just ordered one. It will come in handy if there is a big delay in the release of Mario Kart in the US. It also means that I have the option of getting Wii Fit here and avoid the high shipping costs. Hopefully it will be worth it. If not I can always sell it on.

andrewrunagall

I really am tempted, I just want to know if it actually works first.

Wouldn't mind a bit of Super Smash Bros Brawl from Japan myself, Mario Kart's on my list of wants too.

G a f f e r

Does anyone know how this will affect online gaming?

I used to have a freeloader for my US cube and it worked a treat, so am definitely interested in this (especially as it avoids the need to fiddle with the innards :))...

....however, let's say I get a US copy of SSBB for use on my UK Wii. Pop in Freeloader and away I go. When I go online, will the fact that the game is a US one mean that I connect to the US server, or will the fact that the console is PAL be the main factor and mean that I connect to the EU server?

A minor thing to consider but I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows if Freeloader will affect or alter your online connectivity.

andrewrunagall

Well, I just couldn't help myself, I've handed over the £15.20.

Now I've got to import a game to try it out.:smashin:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Hmm, not sure about the whole online/servers question Gaffer, I wouldn't think it should make a difference personally.

I only have a single online Wii game ATM(Fifa 08), it's the US version obviously as I have a US console, but I can connect fine to players from the UK which I have done the couple of times I played online(once was flawlessly smooth, the other was a bit laggy).

I do buy most of my Xbox360 games as region-free Asian NTSC/J versions(I own a PAL Xbox360), never had any issues there with online there and I only really play people from England as I don't like playing randoms. Different console but I would think should be the same principle?

Would be nice to get some confirmation of this but I think it should be fine, I'll be taking the risk myself as I will be buying the freeloader disk in order to purchase the PAL version of MarioKart to play on my NTSC console, really hope it all works fine for that game, worth the risk IMO at just over a tenner delivered.

BTW, starting to see some cheaper preorders already(with regards to the rather expensive postage at codejunkies), can't remember if gameseek are any good(do I remember hearing some bad stories about them recently?) but they have it available to preorder at £11.98 delivered(+5% quidco earnings).

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/NintendoWiie44uuhn0f/Freeloader-for-Wii#features

Think I'll probably hold on until places such as gameplay or game have it for preorder to get free delivery, don't need it untilk MarioKart anyway.

pigdog237

My question is - will it work with the old Gamecube Action Replay and SDLoad thingy for playing homebrew stuff?

I've got an SD Card / SD Gecko in my old retired Gamecube, that I'd love to get working on my Wii. ;)

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about:
http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload

Moogle

Distinguished Member

Same here but I don't need to import one as I have a US Wii. I'll probably just go out and buy a UK game whicch I want to play andd is reasonably priced. Then again I might actually import a Japanese game. :D

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Couldn't advise you on that one personally pigdog237.

*A quick word of caution regarding different region freeloader disks(ie US console owners thinking of buying the freeloader disk from the UK*

Not sure if this is just an early listing error but the product details that have just been added to the playasia website(with pre-orders opening soon) have some addtional details compared to those, on the codejunkies(which make it sound as though there is only a single version disk compatible with ALL systems).

playasia have the following in the product details:

• Play ANY region of Wii™ or GameCube™ game on your Wii™.
  • Easy to use.
  • No console modification required.
  • Doesn't invalidate warranty.
  • Play games never released in your region.
  • Play local games on your imported console.
  • Suitable ONLY for US Version Wii™ consoles.
  • 100% unofficial.

Hmm, so are there separate disks for the different region consoles or not, if so I'm guessing it would be the same the other way around(the disk sold in Europe being only for PAL consoles):confused: The official codejunkies website certainly doesn't make it sound that way.

Taken from the codejunkies website(same on both Euro & US sites) product details:

• Play ANY region of Wii or GameCube game on ANY Wii.
  • Easy to use.
  • No console modification required.
  • Doesn't invalidate warranty.
  • Play games never released in your region.
  • Play local games on your imported console.
  • 100% unofficial.

A bit confusing, think I will wait for confirmation on this before ordering from the UK now as I don't want to get the wrong version if, as with the previous Gamecube freeloader disks, there are different region versions(ie. PAL & NTSC).

wigsey

Standard Member
1 Does anyone know any US companies that will sell you wii games. Amazon for example won't

2 Will this play back up games ?

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
1 Does anyone know any US companies that will sell you wii games. Amazon for example won't

2 Will this play back up games ?

1. videogamesplus, playasia, gamesasia, dvdboxoffice, movietyme, renchi...to name a few, of course ebay is always a decent option at times aswell.

2. No.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
1. videogamesplus, playasia, gamesasia, dvdboxoffice, movietyme, renchi...to name a few, of course ebay is always a decent option at times aswell.

Add Yes Asia to that as well.

Personally when it comes to US games I prefer to use VG+ 9 for reliability and customer service ) and on the odd occasion Movvietyme ( for cost ).Play Asia, Yes Asia and Renchi are good too though.

Going back to the information regards compatibility that is a bit of a concern. I'm just contemplating whether to stick with my order or cancel it and wait. I more inclined to believe Codejunkies as it is their product but judging by previous products they released there were seperate versions. I assumed in this case it was just one disc for all regions. Hmmm .... decisions decisions.

Edit: I've sent an email to Codejunkies and hopefully they will reply soon.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Going back to the information regards compatibility that is a bit of a concern. I'm just contemplating whether to stick with my order or cancel it and wait. I more inclined to believe Codejunkies as it is their product but judging by previous products they released there were seperate versions. I assumed in this case it was just one disc for all regions. Hmmm .... decisions decisions.

It is a tricky one, I would also be more inclined to accept the codejunkies description(making it sound as though it's a one disk fits all). At the same time I'm not sure playasia would add that extra line into the description, It looks as though they were given the product description from codejunkies themselves as the other lines are almost exactly the same, just with those two key differences.

Think if I were in your shoes Moogle I would probably cancel for now, I mean you could always sell it on, but as you payed over £15 delivered(due to postage costs) and it could soon be available at £9.99 delivered, you could stand to loose a bit if it doesn't work, worth waiting for confirmation IMO.

[EDIT]Just noticed your edit about contacting codejunkies, good idea, best to hear it from the horses mouth

Beer Fury

Me too. Ordered it from Gameseek for £11.98 delivered. Ordered Smash Brothers Brawl from VG+ too. £40.71 delivered for the pair of them. I just couldn't help myself even after reading the sensible words of Moogle and Tetlee, I just went ahead with it. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it'll be a learning experience I guess and it could all be just fine. :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom