Wii Fit accessories (inc. Balance Board covers & Battery Packs)

JohnOrion

I bought a Wii Fit about a week ago. I've been very happy with my purschase, but am wondering should I get any of the accessories on the market. Actually, I've already ordered that green Wii Fit yoga mat by Hori (I know I know, it's a bit of a rip-off as you can get no brand -yoga mats that are much cheaper).

There are other accessories such as a purple (IMO a horrible color) cushion mat that is placed on top of the balance board and of course those silicon covers. In the Wii Fit manual, there is a mention of an accessory that makes the board better suited for thick carpets (haven't seen this anywhere, though).

What do you guys think, should we Wii Fit owners accessorize? :) Obviously a some sort of yoga mat is very useful, but how about those silicone covers. Obviously they protect the surface of the balance board from dirt and such, and also prevent slipping from the board. However, I'd think a silicone cover on the board would like kinda stupid and take away some of the ergonomics of the surface of the board.

G a f f e r

So far this is what I have bought:

Silicone cover for £7 inc. deliv (I got three, one for me, 2 for my 2 brothers).
Usefull as it keeps the surface of the board free and I also think the tactile feel of your feet on the board is slightly improved (but that's very subjective, I know).

Wii Fit Battery pack (Madcatz, from Comet). This is a batt. pack that is used in place of normal AA's. It comes with a long lead that plugs into a USB port in the back of the Wii to charge.
The reason I got this was that I initially used a brand new set of 2500mAh AA's that I charged fully before first use.
After 3-4 days of WiiFit usage, the batts had completely run down and needed recharging (that's ridiculously low imo :eek:). Also, there was no "warning" as such...one minute I was finishing my routine, the next the game wouldn't go any further until I replaced the batteries. It's the lack of warning that's annoying (so for instance, as there is no "batt level" indicator a la wiimotes, you can't gauge whether it's worth doing a quick workout on the existing charge.....you all of a sudden have to interrupt/stop what you're doing and go through the rigmarole of waiting for a recharge before continuing).
A bit pricey at £12, but rather than having the headache of having to recharge so often, I thought it would be quite useful to have a (effectively) 'wired' solution instead.

I don't plan on getting anything further though :).

Hi/zuum

It's the lack of warning that's annoying (so for instance, as there is no "batt level" indicator a la wiimotes, you can't gauge whether it's worth doing a quick workout on the existing charge.....you all of a sudden have to interrupt/stop what you're doing and go through the rigmarole of waiting for a recharge before continuing).
A bit pricey at £12, but rather than having the headache of having to recharge so often, I thought it would be quite useful to have a (effectively) 'wired' solution instead.

gone for one of these myself, as all my other rechargeables have other jobs. On the point about the warning, I pressed the home button earlier on the Wiimote & the Wiifit board was connected to the fourth controller slot & showned the full bars as expected with the supplied batterys but for the convience it's a good idea.

JohnOrion

Wii Fit Battery pack

Well I just bought extra four Sanyo Eneloop AA-rechargeables for the board, I use similar batteries with my Wii Remotes. I haven't had time to "play" with Wii Fit that much, so I cannot comment on how quickly these batteries run out.

Well I am tempted to order (from play.com or such) that silicone skin (Madcatz) but there are two reasons why I'm not doing so. Firstly, those represent only the first wave of the balance board accessories and I'm willing to bet better skins are on their way -- dunno why but I see Madcatz as a low-end Wii-accessory company.

Secondly, as I mentioned, I kinda don't see the point of having one. I mean sure I want to protect my balance board (like with everything, it is important to me to protect my gadgets and treat them correctly) but shouldn't you assume that Nintendo has designed the board in a way that it doesn't need protecting. Obviously sweat and the occasional "sock lint" from the feet are going to get on the surface of the board, but right now I'd rather wipe it with a damp cloth after every use than buy a silicone skin that would take away some of the coolness of the board's design and design of the ergonomics in it.

G a f f e r

@ Hi/Zuum - thanx for that :smashin:, I didn't realise it showed up under Wiimote 4's indicator.

Secondly, as I mentioned, I kinda don't see the point of having one. I mean sure I want to protect my balance board (like with everything, it is important to me to protect my gadgets and treat them correctly) but shouldn't you assume that Nintendo has designed the board in a way that it doesn't need protecting. Obviously sweat and the occasional "sock lint" from the feet are going to get on the surface of the board, but right now I'd rather wipe it with a damp cloth after every use than buy a silicone skin that would take away some of the coolness of the board's design and design of the ergonomics in it.

I agree with you re:Madcatz which is why I bought a different one (from Dealextreme). The material is thinner and (imho) a great fit.
It doesn't change the ergonomics at all....why should it? It's just a board you stand on :confused:.
What it does change is the tactile feeling of standing on silicone rather than hard plastic (I personally prefer it now - but maybe that's because I'm used to it ;)), and of course it keeps it clean (I didn't fancy the idea of sweaty feet in combo with a white surface - wet wipes work well but this avoids the need for all that).
Otherwise, the functionality, preciseness of measurement, usability etc, doesn't alter at all by adding a thin cover.

Again, I must stress I am not using the (quite thick) Madcatz one (one of my nephews has this one so I know what it's like). The one I have is from a separate company and is just as "strong", but a lot thinner. It also has dimples on it where your feet go. As it's see-through, it's actually not very noticeable when in pace and is a very snug fit.

Here it is.
sku_10413_2_small.jpg

^^I do agree in that it is in no way "essential" but I do think it's worth a gander :)

vinvader

I'll definitely be getting a silicone cover for my wii fit board soon. Don't know which one yet though.

shane515

Hello all

Easy question (I hope), I take delivery of Wii Fit end of the week (fingers crossed :confused:) and my question is, do i need a Wii Fit Protective Cover for the board? Does it just serve to protect the Board or does it help maintain a firm grip on the floor surface........or niether of these, it just looks good?

Thanks for your help
Shane

G a f f e r

I've merged this into the Wii Fit Accessories Thread as covers are discussed in there.

As mentioned here, I got a cover myself from Dealextreme and I would recommend it as it feels nice (and grippy), doesn't let the board get dirtied and is cheap to boot :smashin:.

Here is a more extensive "review" of sorts:

It has "nobbles" on the underside. The silicone is studded underneath with the (I think this best describes it) Nobbles fitting into the screw holes in the Balance Board casing like this:

There are about 14 in total
Now the only issue with this cover is that it is manufactured with 2 extra nobbles, but the balance board has no corresponding screw holes for them to fit into :suicide::

Easy solution is to do what I did to mine above and use a craft knife/stanley knife to simply cut them off :) (it's very soft and so easy to do cleanly).

.....et voila - a snug fit :smashin:.

My nephew bought the Madcatz(?) one from HMV here and it is much thicker.....I prefer the thinner silicone of mine.

Feet of the board fit snugly around the cover. The actual cover fits around the feet (the feet pass through the cover.....which is 4 holes at each corner - kind of like legs through trousers if you get my drift). As it's therefore being "held in place" at all four corners/feet, it's a snug fit.

The small nobble feet pattern on the top are meant to aid grip. Mine has these "patterns" (exactly as pictured in the DealExtreme site) topside in an effort I think to increase grip. However, I don't think they do much so even if they have since changed to being "smooth" or if you get some from somewhere else that have a smooth profile on top, then I don't think that would make much difference to be honest, so any cover with or without a pattern will pretty much be equivical (i.e. don't worry too much about going for specific high street brands imho)......
edit: just checked on ebay and HK sellers are doing ones pictured without the pattern on top for £6 or more all in.....so at least you'll be getting equivalent from dealextreme but from a more (imo) reputable source ;)).

Overall. I would still recommend buying one :thumbsup: (not essential, but worth it at the price imo).

shane515

Thanks Gaffer

All makes perfect sence.......off to spend more of my 2.5% VAT reduction on prices ;)

Shane

!TIMMY!

When doing some of the Wii Fit Yoga and Muscle excises the mrs is complaining that the Wii Fit board is hurting her arms and hands.

Which is the best cover for the Wii Fit Board? A Cushion one or silicone or something else? I don't want a cover that will move while I am on the board.

G a f f e r

When doing some of the Wii Fit Yoga and Muscle excises the mrs is complaining that the Wii Fit board is hurting her arms and hands.

Which is the best cover for the Wii Fit Board? A Cushion one or silicone or something else? I don't want a cover that will move while I am on the board.

Hi Timmy, I actually bought one myself and think it's great for keeping the dirt off as well as providing more grip. I've done a review in the Wii Fit Accessories thread so will merge this into that one :).

!TIMMY!

Cheers, so would you recommend the Deal Extreme one over the Madcatz one? They are the 2 I was looking at.

G a f f e r

Cheers, so would you recommend the Deal Extreme one over the Madcatz one? They are the 2 I was looking at.

Yes, imo the deal extreme one is cheaper and thinner (feels better), but there's nowt "wrong" with any of them really, they should all protect the board just fine :smashin:.

!TIMMY!

Well after thinking I was going to order from DX, we went into HMV and the mrs decided to buy the Cushion type one. Well if she is happy, then I am happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom