• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wii & Control Centre 540c (Component)

L

LungBeat

Hi,

I posted in another thread but dont think it was the right one (sorry).

I have a Joytech Control Centre 540c which work well except with the Nintendo Wii using component cables.

When going through the control centre, the wii home menu is fine but when you go into a wii channel the signal output from the control centre keeps dropping out.

I'm using a Panasonic AE700 projector and if i connect the Wii directly to it there are no issues at all.

Has anyone had the same or similar issues with the Wii and the control centre?

Thanks.

RMGEE

Hi

I had the same problem with the composite connection, put it through the control centre and as soon as I clicked on the Mii channel the picture kept dropping out but connect it direct to the TV / Projector and its fine.

Had my Official Nintendo component lead arrive yesterday and it works great, I've connected it to input 3.

What component cable are you using, Nintendo or 3rd party ?

RMGEE

If you need a quality solution for component switching, I would recommend the JS Technologies dual input component block. It auto senses which signal is outputting so you don't have to flick any switches or use a remote. You can daisy chain them as well if you need more than 2, but they do cost 55 quid each. The quality WILL be better though.

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=49&osCsid=e51a0f3c870ea2ec9b311080dae25219

I've not noticed any issues with picture quality with the 540c, to me it looks the same as when plugged directly in to the TV, I have Sky HD, Xbox 360, DVD player and Wii running through it and they are all fine.

RMGEE

Which component cable are you using, it maybe looks like people using 3rd party cables are seeing issues.

Official, got it off ebay £28.99 + £8.99 delivery, expensive I know but without people like me there wouldn't be an ebay and that would be a awful ;)

JonStatt

I can't understand how different cables will have issues other than affecting picture quality, or they are just plain faulty. The wiring of the cable, has no chips or special techniques in it. It is literally plug, wire, plug for all the signals. If there was a bad join, then of course it would never work, or only output with a missing colour. Or if the quality of the wire/shielding/plugs is poor, then you could have a degradation in picture quality. So some of these reports mystify me.

Jonathan

L

LungBeat

I'm using the 1st party cable (Nintendo). I havent tried different input channels but will give this a go and see if it makes a difference.

T

TurboLung

nintendo is the best chinese company in the world and you should stop being so biased towards the xbox. i had cables sent from nintendo's headquarters in beijing - they have three set-values to them that you must remember: a red one, white one and yellow one (can't remember the order though).

plug them straight into your PALSONIC television (in the back or some newer technology and more expensive tv's have the inputs in the front). you should be able to play legend of zelda straight away if you bought the disk (by the way, does anyone know how to get the "hero's bow" in death mountain?)

sometimes my screen has the same problem as you LungBeat but i find shutting the blinds fixes the problem.

also, i found if you set your "country" settings to UK, you can get extra virtual-reality games from the turbografx.

okay, if anyone needs any more problems solved just ask :)

pump it,

tl

StooMonster

a red one, white one and yellow one
That will be the composite cable with three RCA: yellow for composite video, red and white for stereo audio.

The component cable has five RCA: red, green, blue for component video and red and white for stereo audio. Natch!

StooMonster

taylaw

nintendo is the best chinese company in the world and you should stop being so biased towards the xbox. i had cables sent from nintendo's headquarters in beijing - they have three set-values to them that you must remember: a red one, white one and yellow one (can't remember the order though).

plug them straight into your PALSONIC television (in the back or some newer technology and more expensive tv's have the inputs in the front). you should be able to play legend of zelda straight away if you bought the disk (by the way, does anyone know how to get the "hero's bow" in death mountain?)

sometimes my screen has the same problem as you LungBeat but i find shutting the blinds fixes the problem.

also, i found if you set your "country" settings to UK, you can get extra virtual-reality games from the turbografx.

pump it,

tl

That has to be the most bizarre post I have ever read on these forums, and it made me smile!

M

Mr Floppy

I have exactly this problem running my Wii through my 540C unit, using GAME branded component cables. Running this cable directly into my TV however works fine.

I'm guessing that the affected screens (Mii Channel, wrist-strap warnings, Wii Sports start-up screen) are permanently set at 480i resolution or something, even though the Wii is set at 'HDTV 480p'... and that the 540C can't view 480i when in component video mode.

I've sent a support query to Joytech in hope that they have a solution. But I suspect that this will remain an issue until Nintendo address it in a future firmware update.

Very annoying, but somewhat reassuring that the games themselves are not (yet) affected.

evxcmt

pump it,

tl

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

D

DarrenB

pump it,

tl

Uncle Benny, is that you?

Dave2

I have exactly this problem running my Wii through my 540C unit, using GAME branded component cables. Running this cable directly into my TV however works fine.

I'm guessing that the affected screens (Mii Channel, wrist-strap warnings, Wii Sports start-up screen) are permanently set at 480i resolution or something, even though the Wii is set at 'HDTV 480p'... and that the 540C can't view 480i when in component video mode.

I've sent a support query to Joytech in hope that they have a solution. But I suspect that this will remain an issue until Nintendo address it in a future firmware update.

Very annoying, but somewhat reassuring that the games themselves are not (yet) affected.

just purchased a game branded component cable , i put it through the 540c and i get the warning screen but as soon as it goes onto the wii main page and jumps to 480p it loses signal ... this is soo annoying i paid £19.99 for a 3rd party cable ... think i will return it.

Koalaboy

It's definitely the 540c.

I have my component switching through a Denon AVR-1707 amp, into the plasma, and it works fine (It also handled upconverting the composite to component as well though).

The cables won't make any difference.

bigkingy

Yes, I have the Game component lead and am using the N84AN 2to1 Phono Adpr Gold (3) from maplins. 360 and wii plugged in and try as I might, I cannot see any degradation in either picture.

I have cancelled my order for the 540c and saved £75!!

JonStatt

Yes, do report on the 245C. I have seen one report in another forum implying it might have the same problem as the 540C, but hopefully that is not the case.

In the meantime I am using the 2 component input only, JS Technology unit. You can daisy chain them although expensive. However, the thing I really like is its auto switching between inputs, so no remotes or buttons to press.

Jonathan

Olly C

Distinguished Member
I have my 360, Wii, PS2 and DVD player all running perfectly through my 540c with no visual picture quality loss, super happy with the results.

Setup:

Sony Bravia 32" V2000
AV Control Center 540c
Vivanco Prowire 1.5m Component Cables
Game brand Wii Component Leads running 480p
Game brand PS2 Component Leads running 576i
Official Xbox 360 Component Leads running 720p
Sony DVD player with Game brand Component Leads running 576p

All working perfectly and looking crisp and sharp :)

lyndley

Standard Member
Just got a 254c this morning. I've posted in the Wii forum, I'll quote here. Not sure if this the same issue as with the 540c though.

Hi,

I've bought Joytech 245c component switch and am having a few issues with it.

I have a PS2, XBox 1 and Wii going into it and it's outputting to a LCD TFT.

PS2 & XBox work fine but the with the Wii I'm getting a fast left/right flicker on very white screens in 480p. This affects the main Wii OS screen and the Wii store, Zelda seems to run fine due to it being quite dark and this flicker only occurs in 480p, not in 480i or 576i.

I've uploaded a youtube video showing the problem here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpDGB84Truo

Unfortunately due to it flickering quite fast it doesn't look so bad in that video though if you look carefully you can see the problem on the main OS page there, also when I go to the photo channel and load up red/green/blue/white screens you can see a massive distortion on the white which is accompanied by loads of left/right wobble/flicker.

I've phoned Joytech and the engineer told me they're aware of the problem and that it's caused by Nintendo pushing encryption down the cable (???), they've said that almost all component switches will be affected by this so presumably the Joytech 240c and 540c are also affected. I've also read of someone with a Psyclone PSC01 switch box having this same issue so it's definitely not just a Joytech thing.

Dunno I don't see a way round this, I only have one component input on my telly so I guess the Joytech has to go back until such time as a solution is found and I have to switch away from Wii component

Bugger. :thumbsdow
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438384&page=2

hi all,

youve got me so worried ive just had to unwrap my wii and test with my component cable and joytech 540c!!

ok my setup is

uk wii
jpn component cable (official nintendo)
joytech 540c (using supplied component cable to go to tv)
i have wii plugged into connection 2 on joytech

i have NO problems with wii at all not in wii menus, wii channels, wii play, wii sports or an of the games i own.

hope this helps

lyndley

Standard Member
hi all,

youve got me so worried ive just had to unwrap my wii and test with my component cable and joytech 540c!!

ok my setup is

uk wii
jpn component cable (official nintendo)
joytech 540c (using supplied component cable to go to tv)
i have wii plugged into connection 2 on joytech

i have NO problems with wii at all not in wii menus, wii channels, wii play, wii sports or an of the games i own.

hope this helps

Maybe it only affects certain units?

Just wondering did you put your Wii into 480p mode in the Wii settings menu? By default I think it's in 480i.

For me there is no issue in 480i or 576i, it just occurs in 480p and only on white screens (like the Wii OS main page).

SeaneyC

pump it,

tl

Seriously, mods please IP find this legend, clearly the greatest post i've seen on this forum for a long long time.

Back on topic, from what i've read about the Joytech units, with so many people posting without issues, and so many people posting with numerous issues, the only conclusion i can draw is that there are some fairly serious QC issues with these switch boxes. I guess you pay your money and take pot luck?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom