Wii Console FAQ. Please read here before opening a question thread.

Twon

Worth noting that the latest update to the photo channel has taken away the abillity to play MP3's and now only supports AAC.

:(

Wiltsteve

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Worth noting that the latest update to the photo channel has taken away the abillity to play MP3's and now only supports AAC.

:(

Wiltsteve

It's actually possible to downgrade back down to the previous firmware if you wish to continue using MP3 tracks rather than AAC. Nintendo fully support this and even provide instructions on how to go about it, see here http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/nintendo-offers-official-downgrade-to-photo-channel-1-0-mp3-add/

*How do you email your Wii then? Might be worth adding that in the FAQ.

Emailing yourself in order to reply and get the blue light on whenever you wish is pretty simple, although the light will go off again once you power up and back down again, even if you ignore the message.

Go to your console address book and add a contact(as you would when entering a Wii Friend Code) but instead of choosing to add a console code select the "add email" option. Fill out your email and relevant contact details and it should automatically send an email to confirm that you wish to accept this contact request, then whenever you wish to illuminate your trendy blue disk light, pop yourself an message to the console from your email address:)

*added this one into the FAQ

ferret1603

Standard Member
In Nintendo consoles and games (and some third party games) you get a piece of paper with a strip to scratch off that has a code behind it. Pop off to your local nintendo website, join up and enter these codes. For each code, you unlock some free content - wallpapers, screen savers, tat like that (found in your VIP lounge). There's also a thing called a stars catalogue in which you can spend your stars buying stuff. As most others will tell you, nothing is worth buying - but sometime soon you will be able to convert your stars into Wii points so you can buy stuff through the Virtual Shop.

Really? :confused: Do you have an import Wii? My friends in the US and Japan get these scratch off codes buy I didn't get one with my Wii nor with any of my games. I've thoroughly checked through all the paperwork and there's nothing there. I could understand if it was missing from one by accident but I have about 10 games and haven't had a scratch off card in any of them nor my Wii.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I think with PAL Wii games the code might be simply printed on the back(or maybe inside the back page) of the game manual rather than on a separate leaflet. I have an NTSC console though so unable to confirm this as obviously my games are the US versions.

G a f f e r

Added a list of compatible routers and info on Error Codes :).

ringses

Standard Member
Can anyone tell me if I should leave my Wii on standby or is it ok to turn off at the plug? I always turn it off at the plug when I am finished but then someone said they always leave theirs on so the Lithium Ion battery that is in the console doesn't run out. Does anyone now what is best?

G a f f e r

If you leave it on in yellow "standby connect" standby, the fans don't run but the internals still generate heat.
Over a prolonged period of time like this, you then run the risk of the GPU getting damaged.

I personally have found WC24 to be pretty useless for me a long time ago so I just leave mine either on red "completely off" mode or unplugged.

There is a small battery in a screwed "compartment" but this is a "normal" CR button battery.....mines lasted me fine for well over a year so I wouldn't worry about it :).

moonlady

Standard Member
Hi I am sorry to be a pain, but it says on the front page about cables and to lick here to go to that discussion but it comes up with an error page...
I have a question...I have a samsung r88 and a nintendo wii...what is the best cable to buy to connect the 2 together and get the best results?

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Hi I am sorry to be a pain, but it says on the front page about cables and to lick here to go to that discussion but it comes up with an error page...
I have a question...I have a samsung r88 and a nintendo wii...what is the best cable to buy to connect the 2 together and get the best results?

Hi moonlady,

Thanks for pointing that out, have fixed the link now, the cable discussion thread can be found here

The vast majority of people here would recommend using component cable(the official Nintendo one is well worth the extra few pounds IMO). Component cable is the only connection that will allow you to select 480p(progressive scan mode). Have a read through the thread(and check teh opinion poll) for further opinions.

Welcome to the forums BTW:thumbsup:

Event Horizon

Hi!!
Could anybody tell me how you save Wii Play games? do i need a memory card or does it have a built in memory.(thought i read some where it has 512 built in)
If anybody could answer this quickly for me it would be appreciated as my lad likes the fishing game but i have to go through all the others to get to it????
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Nick.

Think ive sorted now, you have to have a Wii Mii:D

Last edited:

knock

Hi, does the region restriction removal of the FAQ need updating? I read that the freeloader was rendered obselete by 3.3 (on the freeloader homepage)

I'd like to play a baseball game and as usual the good ones never make it over here :(

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Hi, does the region restriction removal of the FAQ need updating? I read that the freeloader was rendered obselete by 3.3 (on the freeloader homepage)

I'd like to play a baseball game and as usual the good ones never make it over here :(

Hi knock, good point, have added to the freeloader section of the FAQ:

ADDITIONAL UPDATE NOTE: The freeloader functionality was rendered obselete by firmware update 3.3, this update has so far been optional so check your firmware version to see if it's older than 3.3 in order to know if the freeloader disk will work on your system. It is also possible that future game releases will force you to accept this update before allowing you to play the game, as far as I'm aware no games contain this forced update so far, will update if I hear otherwise.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
It's fair to say I'll never be the worlds greatest speller:rolleyes: Anyway, corrected now as well as the broken link(unsure why the links seem to break over time, have to keep updating them).

Welcome to the forums by the way:)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
So with freeloader not working what is the best solution to remove region protection?

There are a couple of options, neither ideal and without risk though IMO.

The first is a modchip, see this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/wii/...ip-discussion-thread-now-theyre-legal-uk.html Not without complications such as needing to avoid updates that are present on some game disks(a wrong region update can cause problems).

Another one is the homebrew solution that I've seen discussed a few times on other websites. I don't really know too much about this one myself(or the Wii homebrew alltogether), apart from the fact you need Zelda: Twighlight Princess in order to get started. Try a google search for Wii homebrew region-unlock perhaps.

Really in these days where most of the Wii games seem to be arriving close to, or in a good few cases recently ahead of the US(Mario Strikers, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Disaster: Day of Crisis to mention a few that pop into my head) personally I would put some serious thought into the worth of unlocking the region, is it worth the risk?

Bertanc

Standard Member
Hi,
I have sent a Pal System Wii to my nephew living in US, got a phone call it does not work there. What could be the problem? Is it the power converter or difference between PAL & NTSC systems. They have a plasma tv at home though.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Hi,
I have sent a Pal System Wii to my nephew living in US, got a phone call it does not work there. What could be the problem? Is it the power converter or difference between PAL & NTSC systems. They have a plasma tv at home though.

Sounds like it may well be both. The US power supply(110v) is different from what we use in Europe(240v), he could either buy a replacement power pack or a step down(or would it be step-up) convertor.

The display could pose the bigger problem, unlike here in Europe where most modern tvs(especially LCDs and Plasmas) support both PAL and NTSC, from what I understand it isn't always the case in the US, his plasma may not support PAL at all. I guess he should find his plasma supports PAL by referring to the manual, probably best place to start.

tvbox

Sorry for the bumping but the internet channell is now free.

:smashin: thread though! Really cleared it all up for me, especially the blue light :D
When i send the emai from the computer, will it come on immediately? Some people said the email takes a few minutes/hours to arrive on the wii.#

Also, how do i reply to the original registration message that the wii sends to your email? Do i need to quote the message or type something?

I never noticed those game cube sockets on my wii, oh well ill never use them anyway.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards