Wii Console FAQ. Please read here before opening a question thread.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Wii console FAQ(to be updated).

will_front_side_2_416-1.gif

1. What exactly is included in the box with the Wii console?
Console, vertical stand(inc. a clear plastic circular stand for stability), wired sensor bar, external power adaptor, composite video cable, 1x remote controller + 1x nunchuk controller, wii sports game(which includes the following sports: Tennis, Bowling, Golf, Baseball & Boxing).

2. Will I need to buy an additional memory card to save my game progress?
No, the Wii console has 512MB memory built in for Wii game saves, VC(virtual console) download games etc. If you plan to play gamecube games then you'll need a gamecube memory card to save your progress for those.

3. Is the inbuilt Wii memory expandable/ can I add additional memory cards?
Yes, there is a memory card expansion slot which takes regular SD cards up to 2GB in size. Note that the Wii console will not recognise cards larger than 2GB.

4. What image/video/audio files are supported by the console via the SD card slot?
Image Files: JPEG, baseline only. Size up to 848x480
Video Files: Quicktime(motion JPEG)(.mov files). Size up to 848x480
Audio Files: MP3

5. What happens if I run out of internal memory space?
I would imagine you'd need to download alot of VC games for this to happen, but even then, no need to panic. You are free to delete VC games from your system memory at any time & download them again for free later on, don't worry, your downloads are tracked. Pleas note that while it's possible to back-up your VC games on an SD card, they need to be in the system memory in order to play then and will not play directly from the SD card, nor will they be installable onto a friends console.

6. Can the Wii console play DVDs?
In a word, No, there is no dvd playback on the Wii console.

7. Can I browse the internet with my Wii, if so how?

Yes, once you're online you'll find the Opera Browser available to download from the Wii Ware section of the shopping channel. This was initially a free download as an early give away but the price is now 500 points.

8. What about playing the online games, do I need to pay a subscription, how do I know which games have online play/feautures?

Playing online is a free service on the Nintendo Wii(of course you need to have broadband internet separate to this deal), no subscription charges as with Xbox Live. You can spot which games contain online features by looking for the little blue WiFi logo in the corner on the front of the game box.

9. How can I connect the Wii to my router & what's all this WiFi business?
The Wii console has built in WiFi which means so long as you have a wireless router you'll be able to connect it up to the internet straight out of the box. Unfortunately there isn't a LAN socket in the console but if you do prefer to go wired, LAN adaptors can be picked up fairly cheaply either 3rd party & official. These adaptors plus into one of the rear USB sockets.

10. What can the two USB ports at the back of the console be used for?

Apart from the LAN adaptor for wired internet connection mentioned above not much has been announced so far. Some of the 3rd party remote charging stations/docks are powered by one of the USB sockets. Also there are some LED lit cooling stands available on the market that use the USB socket for as a power source. No doubt there will be plenty of possible uses for these sockets in the future.

11. Is the Wii HD(high definition) or what is the highest resolution supported by the console?
The Wii doesn't support high definition. It does however support 480p(progressive scan which can be referred to as ED enhanced definition), this is arguably the best resolution available on the console but not all Wii games run in 480p. Note that you need to buy an optional component cable to be able to display games in 480p.

12. What optional cables are available for the console & which is best?
From the worst cable option to the best: Composite Video(supplied)> S-Video(not supported on PAL consoles)> RGB Scart> Component Video(480p)
A thread discussing this subject here

13. The cable is too short to reach my Projector etc. How do I solve this?
Buy yourself whatever extra length you need in a standard video/component cable and use joiners(available from most audio/electrical stores) to join the two cables together.

14. Can the Wii output Dolby Digital 5.1 or what are my surround sound options?
There is no digital out for the Wii console so no Dolby Digital. It does output Dolby Pro Logic II when connected to an appropriate TV or Amplifier, don't forget to adjust the console settings from stereo to surround. If the phono plugs of your cable aren't long enough to reach your amplifier then use the solution posted in the answer to the question above.

15. What conroller/s do I need to for playing Gamecube games?

The remote & nunchuck controller supplied with the Wii do not function for Gamecube games. For Gamecube games then you'll need to buy an additional Gamecube controller, the Wavebird(official wireless Gamecube controller) is also supported, the receiver/s just plugs into the gamecube controller socket as with the standard cube controller. Please note that you will still need to navigate to the disk channel using the remote in order to start the game(as normal).

16. What about VC(Virtual Console downloadable games), what controller/s do I need to play those games?

It depends on which game generation/system you're downloading from. NES/Turbo Grafix games are playable with the remote by simply turning it sideways like an old NES controller. SNES games are playable using either a Gamecube controller(not ideal due to button layout) or the official Wii Classic controller. N64 games can be played equally well using either the classic controller or a gamecube controller(including wavebirds).

17. How do I purchase Virtual Console games? Do I need a credit card and what are Wii Points?

Virtual Console games are bought through the Shopping Channel. You can either use a credit card, or purchase Wii Points cards which are available from most videogame stores(2000 Points cards being the most common size). If using these cards the spare/leftover points from your purchases will be stored in your console until you need them.

18. What's this Wii Zapper contoller I keep hearing about?
The Wii Zapper isn't actually a light gun controller, it's just a simple plastic housing that accomidates the remote & nunchuck controllers into a gun like design. There are plenty of third party designs avaiable too, discussion thread on this subject here

19. What other accessories are available for the console?

Literally loads, they range from the very useful charging stations to plastic conroller housings(some of whicjh are useable, others useless).

20. Are Wii consoles/games region-free, can I buy games from other countries?
Wii consoles & games are region locked so if you buy a PAL Wii, then you are restricted to playing PAL games, European & Australian games also work on a UK PAL system as they are also PAL territories(the same can be said the other way around, ie. Eurpean & Australian Wii consoles will play UK PAL games).
Conversely, JAP (NTSC) and US (NTSC) games won't play on an EU console and EU (PAL) games won't work on a JAP or US console.
NOTE: There is now a new version of the Freeloader disk available for the Wii which allows you to play other region games from your console, see this thread for details.
ADDITIONAL UPDATE NOTE: The freeloader functionality was rendered obselete by firmware update 3.3, this update has so far been optional so check your firmware version to see if it's older than 3.3 in order to know if the freeloader disk will work on your system. It is also possible that future game releases will force you to accept this update before allowing you to play the game, as far as I'm aware no games contain this forced update so far, will update if I hear otherwise.

21. How about controllers/accesories etc. will the foreign ones work on my PAL console?
Yes they will, unlike the consoles, games & points cards, there is no region-coding with accessories so you are free to buy them from where ever you wish so a US or JAP remote for example will work just fine on your PAL console(as it would the other way around too). The only exceptions would be S-Video cable due to not being compatible/supported on PAL Wii consoles, and RGB Scart not being compatible/supported for US NTSC consoles.

22. Is there any/much difference in game release dates between territories(US/PAL etc.)?
As usual with Nintendo sadly yes, this isn't always the case but there have been quite a few examples already where games have been released several months earlier in the US(NTSC) than the UK(PAL) release. This is one of the reasons some people prefer to import US consoles(along with a step down converter for the voltage).

23. I'm thinking of importing a Wii console from the US, what are the neagtives to buying an NTSC console?
It won't play UK PAL Wii games(US NTSC only).
I won't play UK PAL Gamecube games(as above).
You will require a stepdown transformer or a third party multivoltage Wii power supply.
The warranty will not be valid in the UK. If something does go wrong which is unlikely but like with any consumer electronics product is possible you will be on your own. Wii's are generally very reliable but you never know.
The weather and news information is geared towards North and South America. Infact you can only choose a city in North or South America as your local region on the Wii.
The virtual console games selection varies from the UK one so won't have access to the exact same games.
Wii Sports game comes in a cardboard sleeve as opposed to a plastic box.
(Thanks to Moogle for the above section).

24. In contrast to the above, what are the positives to buying an NTSC console?
Most games are released earlier(often months earlier) in the US on NTSC than the UK PAL versions.
VC games run at full speed which is apparently around 17% faster in some cases and display in full screen(this is not the case with all games though, some are perfect on PAL also).
The RRP of US NTSC games often makes them cheaper to import than to buy from the UK(although these days there are alot of special offers around for PAL games).
The LED disk light still lights up when you pop a disk in the console;)(I understand they disabled this feature for some reason on the PAL machines).

25. The blue light around the disk slot doesn't stay lit, is this normal?
Yes, it's only meant to glow when you either start the console or when you receive an email message from either Nintendo or one of your friends. It is possible to register one of your own email addresses on your friends list and send a messgae to your console if you want to impress your guests with a glowing console, the light will go out once the console has been switched on though.

26. How do you email your Wii then?
Emailing yourself in order to reply and get the blue light on whenever you wish is pretty simple, although the light will go off again once you power up and back down again, even if you ignore the message.

Go to your console address book and add a contact(as you would when entering a Wii Friend Code) but instead of choosing to add a console code select the "add email" option. Fill out your email and relevant contact details and it should automatically send an email to confirm that you wish to accept this contact request, then whenever you wish to illuminate your trendy blue disk light, pop yourself an message to the console from your email address

27. What are the Nintendo Star points for that come with consoles & games?
Put simply this is basically a reward scheme where you can save stars from purchases of games/comsoles etc. and trade them in for freebies such as wallpapers/screensavers/games & accessories. Sign up & find more information here http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/

28. When I try to use my Wii, it comes up with an error code. What's that then?
Most error codes occur in relation to the WiFi connectivity of the Wii, but there are error codes for all sorts of issues. To figure out what your error code means, consult this site -> Wii Error and this site -> Wii Error Codes.

29. Talking of WiFi, how can I tell if my router is compatible?
Easy, check out the Nintendo help page which lists them -> Wii compatible routers (it also has a step-by-step guide on setting up), as well as this list:

Compatible:
'2wire' BT branded wireless router (BT 1800HG). Change frequency to '7 - 2.442MHz'
Apple Airport Extreme (Graphite and Snow)
Belkin F5D7230-4uk4 vers. 6000 (Is said to be incompatible but apparently works)
Belkin F5D7230-4 1223uk, f/w version 4.05.03, boot version 1.03.12.bk
Belkin F5D7231uk4 (manual setup and firmware update)
Belkin F5D9230-4 vers. 5000
Billion 7404VGP
BT 2100 (has issues with interleaving on some games)
BT home hub (has issues with interleaving on some games)
Buffalo WMR-G54 Airstation Wireless ADSL Router
D-LINK DGL-4300
D-LINK DI-524
D-LINK DWL-922
DS wireless access point (official Nintendo or WiFi Max)
KINAMAX USB 2.0 - RJ45 Fast Ethernet 10/100 BaseT Network Adapter (old)
Linksys BEFSR41 v4
Linksys WUSB54GS-uk
Linksys WAG200G
Linksys WAG354G Wireless access point (ADSL2+ modem and 4 port, wireless b/g router in one)
Linksys WRT300N (firmware 0.97 WAP + add MAC filtering and disable SSID broadcast)
Linksys WRTP54G
Netopia 2247NWG-VGx (limited ds support)
NetGear DG834G (v3)
Netgear WGT624v3 (disable extended range, 2.0.16_1.0.1 firmware)
Orange/Wanadoo Livebox
Orange Livebox CD30
Telewell EA-513
TP LINK TL-WR514G

Incompatible:
BT Voyager 2000 (DS Not Tested. Interleaving issues.)
KINAMAX USB 2.0 - RJ45 Fast Ethernet 10/100 BaseT NetworkAdapter (new)
Belkin F5D6231-4 vers. 1000 (works with latest update apparently but need more confirmation)
Belkin F5D7230-4 vers. 4000
Belkin F5D7231-4 vers. 1102 (works with latest update apparently but need more confirmation)
Note: Incompatible routers can be subject to change due to the manufacturer updating the firmware.

Last edited:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
OK, thought it was about time we got a Wii console FAQ sorted to give people a handy reference & save the same questions needing to be continually asked/answered.

I haven't written a FAQ before so no doubt I've missed plenty of information from it, feel free to add any additional questions/answers within this thread & if suitable I'll update them into the original post.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Thank you! As soon-to purchase one... erm purchaser, you have saved me annoying you with endless questions :D

One question though.... when you say the built-in 512k memory is enough for wii save games, how big is the typical save file?

kopchoir

Banned
thanks for that lee most helpfull

C225

Distinguished Member
Made this a sticky and isn't that the picture from the bbc site?

Anyway good post.:thumbsup:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Thank you! As soon-to purchase one... erm purchaser, you have saved me annoying you with endless questions :D

One question though.... when you say the built-in 512k memory is enough for wii save games, how big is the typical save file?

Hmm, good question. Not sure how many blocks you start off with but I still have 1682 Blocks open, that's with a few VC games & several game saves inlcuded.

To give you an idea Super Paper Mario requires a single block for game saves. More than enough for game saves plus quite a few VG games in other words;)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Made this a sticky and isn't that the picture from the bbc site?

Anyway good post.:thumbsup:

Good idea, did mean to do that but I'd already confused myself enough typing the thing:)

Not sure where the pic is from, found it from the good old google images search;)

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
I've got a quick question:

A far as the SD card slot goes, what sort of files will it read? I'm assuming as there's a picture channel i can download photos from a card to my Wii, but do they have to be in a specific format? Can you put MP3s onto your Wii? etc.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I've got a quick question:

A far as the SD card slot goes, what sort of files will it read? I'm assuming as there's a picture channel i can download photos from a card to my Wii, but do they have to be in a specific format? Can you put MP3s onto your Wii? etc.

Good question, will add to the FAQ now.

What image/video/audion files are supported by the console via the SD card slot?
Image Files: JPEG, baseline only. Size up to 848x480
Video Files: Quicktime(motion JPEG)(.mov files). Size up to 848x480
Audio Files: MP3

Steven

Senior Moderator
Tetlee, perhaps you should edit the post to say 512mb built-in memory. Less confusion for mere mortals like myself :D

Oh find attached the pic. I edited it as I kept trying to click the links, though that may be just me :rotfl:

Attachments

• will_front_side_2_416.gif
    will_front_side_2_416.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 7,710

C225

Distinguished Member
Tetlee, perhaps you should edit the post to say 512mb built-in memory. Less confusion for mere mortals like myself :D

Oh find attached the pic. I edited it as I kept trying to click the links, though that may be just me :rotfl:

I done it for you tetlee hope you don't mind:)

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Tetlee, perhaps you could put something on there about the Wiipoints. I.e that they're needed to but VC games and how/where to get them.

wellladida

Novice Member
ive heard people talk about them but yet to find out what they are (and im normally the first to find out) ;)

mod please move to FAQ if appropriate

coluigi

In Nintendo consoles and games (and some third party games) you get a piece of paper with a strip to scratch off that has a code behind it. Pop off to your local nintendo website, join up and enter these codes. For each code, you unlock some free content - wallpapers, screen savers, tat like that (found in your VIP lounge). There's also a thing called a stars catalogue in which you can spend your stars buying stuff. As most others will tell you, nothing is worth buying - but sometime soon you will be able to convert your stars into Wii points so you can buy stuff through the Virtual Shop.

coluigi

how do u do that :confused:

It's not possible yet, but has been talked of for a while and even Nintendo have mentioned the feature will arrive soon. The feature itself was accidentally made public during testing (it has since disappeared again) so the whole system does work. It's just a waiting game.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Having collected stars for 5 years now I can say apart from converting to Wii points (when they get round to implementing it!), there is no point in spending your points unless a game or console comes up. But games only come up once in a blue moon and consoles only seem to come up on launch :rolleyes: You'll have to save a bunch too - Mario Tennis GBA a couple years ago cost me 5000 points!

hulkhogan

how many players can be connected to one wii at any one time?

mgirg

how many players can be connected to one wii at any one time?

it depends on the game. four wii remotes can be connected at a time maximum, but some vc games like bomber man can have 5 players using a combination of wii remotes and gamecube pads

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Velodyne shipping new MicroVee X compact subwoofer in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG smart TVs now feature Google Stadia service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett