wii connection

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by steve6684, Jan 20, 2008.

1. steve6684

steve6684
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok i would like to connect my wii to the net dont want to get wireless router (g/f really worried about frying our brains really does'nt like it, so thats a no go).
    I am currently connected by a motorola sb5101e surfboard cable modem, and my pc is upstairs and wii downstairs really not sure what to do any help much apprciated.:rolleyes:

2. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Hi Nightwiz.

There are two ways to go (I have the same modem......you're not telewest/Virgin by any chance are you ;)?)...

1) Wired: Get a LAN adapter (with a patch cable) to connect your Wii via it's USB port to your PC upstairs. I haven't used it myself but know of some folks who have and it works fine for them. However, it's a bit of hassle to route the extra wire around and may be more trouble if you have to route it upstairs -- but the option's there if you want to.
    [​IMG]

2) Wireless: Reassure your gf that medically speaking, there is NO danger from WiFi Routers with brain cells frying. Own a mobile phone? Or a microwave?.....same amount of safety, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Then buy yourself a cheap router like this one:
    [​IMG]

OR: buy a dongle that turns your upstairs PC into a wireless access point, like the official Ninty one (apparently also works well, in this case I would go for official over the 3rd party ones):
    [​IMG]

Judging by the fact that a full blown router is only a fiver more expensive than the dongle (and both use WiFi), I'd go for the router myself.

Again...the wired LAN adapter is your option if your gf insists :D,......and Nintendo do make an official one, but they're harder to find and this is one of the few cases where Datel have actually made a decent product (their LAN adapter).
    :)

3. steve6684

steve6684
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hey gaffer74, thanks for ya response yeah i am telewest/virgin lol... i'll try some of youre suggestions see what works best.

4. Intya

Intya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Word to the wise, the Nintendo USB wireless adaptor is £9.99 in Gamestation stores, or at least it was in the Norwich store a couple of weeks ago. Very nifty if you're not using a router, also nifty if you are using a router and the only thing on your network that doesn't support WPA is the DS :rolleyes: