Wii component problems :( Doesn't always work...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Steven, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    1x Wii
    1x Official Nintendo Component Cable
    1x Official Nintendo composite cable (included with Wii)
    1x PC Monitor with composite and component input (Wii not compatible with other inputs so not listing them)

Problem: When connected via component I get "no signal" message on my monitor. A combination of switching both Wii and monitor off/on (which can't be good) and temporarily changing to composite then back to component makes it work. Really not ideal to have to spend 10min every time though...

Curiously first time I used the cable no problems. Only happened after a week. Had the Wii 2 weeks now and spent the past week googling

Included composite cable with Wii works every time. 576i is decent but 480p is just a touch sharper

Component input on monitor is not broken because I tried my flatmates DVD player and that is OK

Thoughts?

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It could be a faulty component cable. The best thing to do would be to try another component cable and see if that works. That seems like the only thing you haven't tried yet.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Had a feeling you would say that... thanks. Was tempted to get this Fantec one as its got decent reviews. Not saying something wrong with the Official component but...

P.S. After posting this thread I completed the 2nd dungeon from start to finish on component after eventually getting it to work. Nice to get a response when I log back on the forum :D

4. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It may not be the cable but at least this way you can rule it out if it isn't.

5. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    try setting it to another resolution and leaving it at that. then turn console off and leave component plugged in then turn back on again.

sounds to me it doesnt like the resolution your trying to feed it.

i take it your not relying on the monitor to auto switch between inputs? as that could be your problem too

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Will be about 2 weeks before I get a new component cable due to circumstance :p

Thanks for your post Jago :) Got a feeling you are right about res. I don't switch on/off repeatedly anymore as its probably not good for monitor and Wii. Sometimes it works fine - like just now I tested it and I got the warning screen (and became a Pro in bowling :D). Other times its no signal. Guaranteed to make it work
    - Change to composite
    - Change Wii screen setting to 576i
    - Change back to component
    - Change Wii screen setting back to 480p
    I change source via 'source button' on my monitor. No-auto switch far as I know. Monitor just detects res of source itself and scales. Works flawlessly --> VGA --> laptop and detects 1680x1050. When it is working for Wii via component it says 720x480p