Wii component cable official or Third Party?

timus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hopefully getting my HD TV next week:D :thumbsup: and will be using it for gaming until we get a new freeview aerial. But i need to purchase a component cable for my Wii what do all recommend?

Official definitely.
Third party cables are a complete waste of money. You only save a few quid with them & they never give as good a picture.
If you're spending a load of money on a HD tv then surely its worth an extra £5 or so for the best cables.

Official all the way.

I have the official Nintendo component cable and it gives a nice sharp and vibrant picture.

Just a quick warning though, if you're using the official cable and using a separate amp for sound then you will almost certainly need some extenders for the audio connections.

The official cable only allows for a few inches between the video and audio inputs whereas some 3rd party cables I've seen you've been able to split the audio and video connections for the entire length of the cable. Hope that makes sense :)

I found this out yesterday after unpacking my new Wii and component cable, about 10 minutes after all the shops had shut!

I bought a third party component lead off ebay and it is excellent.
Think I payed around £7 delivered and the quality is very good so I dont think it is right to ignore all third party leads.

Drphibes

I'm using Mad Catz - haven't used an official so can't really compare but the picture quality is good and couldn't imagine an official would be any better.

Apparently the Official Wii Component Cable is only £12.99 in Game :smashin:

I'm using Mad Catz - haven't used an official so can't really compare but the picture quality is good and couldn't imagine an official would be any better.

Same here, the build quality looks better than the official one judging by the pictures I've seen of it...

Same here, the build quality looks better than the official one judging by the pictures I've seen of it...

I've known a few people who bought the Madcatz cable and later upgraded to the official Nintendo cable, they did see a difference.

I would go official, I currently have the playasia budget cable which is very good for the money($10) but I have since purchased an official cable which is now on it's way in the post.

I did a test on a few of my NTSC Cube games through my official Gamecube component cable 480p, then the same games 480p on my Wii with the 3rd party component cable, there was a clear difference when comparing directly despite peoples reviews on playasia claiming the cable gives the exact same picture as the official one does.

The best way I can describe the difference is a sharper, more detailed picture with darker black colours, my 3rd party cable is slightly washed out in comparison, especially in the darker areas of say Resident Evil 4 where the dark areas lose atmosphere due to almost having the effect of city light polution. To give another Resi4 example, the official has alot more fine detail, wooden panels in the huts of Resi4 show the fine detail in the wood grain where the 3rd party slightly loses such fine details due to the softer picture.

I've known a few people who bought the Madcatz cable and later upgraded to the official Nintendo cable, they did see a difference.

I would go official, I currently have the playasia budget cable which is very good for the money($10) but I have since purchased an official cable which is now on it's way in the post.

Thanks for costing me money, I was quite happy with my third party one until you said that...:smashin: :rolleyes:

I had to buy 3rd party just because of the unavailability at launch. I may upgrade in time but I'm not that concerned.

It depends on the quality of the 3rd party imo.

The GAME component cables are the same generic stuff coming out of HK for £5 inc. delivery.

The Madcatz is not as good as the official one as far as I could tell from reading posts from people who've "upgraded" from it to the official.

However, my mate has an official one.....I have this one (despite the amazon description it is made by SnakyByte, not Fanatec).....both produce the same high quality picture.

In short, not all 3rd parties are the same, some are just as good (if not better) than the official lead ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
i always try and stick to official cables for my consoles (where possible). I've had too many bad experiences with 3rd party leads in the past

I found it really difficult to find a component cable none of my local shops Game and Gamestaion had any, searching on the net didn't produce any official ones just third party. In the end i found one on gameseek.co.uk for about £18 i think should arrive by the end of the week hopefully.

It depends on the quality of the 3rd party imo.

The GAME component cables are the same generic stuff coming out of HK for £5 inc. delivery.

The Madcatz is not as good as the official one as far as I could tell from reading posts from people who've "upgraded" from it to the official.

However, my mate has an official one.....I have this one (despite the amazon description it is made by SnakyByte, not Fanatec).....both produce the same high quality picture.

In short, not all 3rd parties are the same, some are just as good (if not better) than the official lead ;)

I too have the Snakebyte one, build quality is excellent and picture quality also.:smashin:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks guys for the heads up on this fanetec wii cable on amazon. After reading ive just this second bought one now cant wait for my new 40" samsung to come end of the week :clap:

My new TV comes tomorrow looking forward to trying my Wii out on it with the official component cable. Then buy my PS3

Just a quick warning though, if you're using the official cable and using a separate amp for sound then you will almost certainly need some extenders for the audio connections.

The official cable only allows for a few inches between the video and audio inputs whereas some 3rd party cables I've seen you've been able to split the audio and video connections for the entire length of the cable. Hope that makes sense :)

I found this out yesterday after unpacking my new Wii and component cable, about 10 minutes after all the shops had shut!

Where can I buy theses extenders? You have mentioned the exact problem I have!:thumbsup:

Hi,
Going to show my ignorance here - what is the cable that came supplied with the Wii? Is that composite? That's what I am using at the moment.....
Does the component use the other set of connectors on my TV (Sony KDL 32 V2000)?
Thanks

Hi,
Going to show my ignorance here - what is the cable that came supplied with the Wii? Is that composite? That's what I am using at the moment.....
Does the component use the other set of connectors on my TV (Sony KDL 32 V2000)?
Thanks

The one that comes with the console is composite or red, white and yellow. The component cable is red, green, blue, red and white. Assuming you have component inputs on your TV that will give you a better quality picture as it is progressive scan.

Great. Thanks for being gentle with me.
Other question - My Amp is about 12 feet from my TV - can I connect component via the amp for sound and image? And if so, can i get an extender for the sensor cable? This would allow me to put the Wii in my AV cabinet
Many thanks

Great. Thanks for being gentle with me.
Other question - My Amp is about 12 feet from my TV - can I connect component via the amp for sound and image? And if so, can i get an extender for the sensor cable? This would allow me to put the Wii in my AV cabinet
Many thanks

Well if your amp supports component in and out then yes that should work. As far as an extender for the sensor bar they do exist but I don't know if they are available in the UK. If you can't find one here you can always try the online Hong Kong retailers like Play Asia and Yes Asia. They should have them. There is also a wireless sensor bar made by Nyko which is available but I have no idea how good it is.

The component cable works a treat with my new Samsung LE26R74 it definatley makes the picture a lot better. Gave rouge Squadron a whirl and:eek: the graphics and PQ are awesome. And btw i love this TV Optical output to connect straight to my Logitech Surround Sound system love it best £408 i have ever spent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom