Wii beginners guide? advice please

a5h

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just ordered a wii from argos along with Wii play (for the remote), I decided to go for it as i already have a 360 and Wii seems to be more 'family; friendly and I can get my 4 year old son involved.

So a little help would be great to get me going, ie,

1. Do i need a SD card for saves etc if so any recommendations? play.com have the wii 1g one for 8.99, but amazon have a 2g for £11 ish

2. Do i need another nunchuck to go with the extra remote for 2 player games or is not used much?

3. What do i need to connect to the internet, I already have a wireless router

4. Any good child friendly games, I was thinking Monkey Ball and maybe Exite truck, a few threads seem to suggest these are available for about £20 each, any opinions would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help and recommendations,

btw i already have a gamecube so i have a memory card for that and a RGB scart, will that work on the Wii

Cheers,
ASH

Hi, Here's an attempt at answering your questions...

1. You don't need a SD card, for a while at least. There's a chunk of memory available in the console for save games.

2. You can make do for now without an extra nunchuck. It's only necessary for 2 player boxing in Wii sports. Buy one once you get some games that require it.

3. Your Wireless router is all you need

4. Not sure about child friendly games, but Wii Sports is a hit with everyone, young or old!

Cheers

Andy

Unfortunately, you'll need to get a new scart cable, the old one will not fit.

Well done on getting your Wii, it is indeed very family friendly :)

I'll have a go at answering your questions :rolleyes:

1 You don't need an SD card as your games will save on the consoles memory. I think people used the SD cards with games on the virtual console, not gone down that route yet myself.

2 Another nunchuk is needed for 2 player boxing on the sports. Other games vary as to whether you'll need it or not.

3 Your wireless router should be fine, though there's a few models which the Wii doesn't like.

4 Excite truck is a great game, but not sure I'd call it child friendly. Wario might be a good one for your son as from what I've seen it shows you on the screen what to do first :smashin:

Have fun when you get it :)

1. You won't need an SD card unless you download loads of VC games or store lots of photos.

2. It's not used that much - wait and see whether you need one.

3. Wireless is all you need.

4. The games you already have will keep you going for ages. Monkeyball is manic!

5. Enjoy! It's a brilliant machine.

Hi, I've just ordered a wii from argos along with Wii play (for the remote), I decided to go for it as i already have a 360 and Wii seems to be more 'family; friendly and I can get my 4 year old son involved.

So a little help would be great to get me going, ie,

1. Do i need a SD card for saves etc if so any recommendations? play.com have the wii 1g one for 8.99, but amazon have a 2g for £11 ish

2. Do i need another nunchuck to go with the extra remote for 2 player games or is not used much?

3. What do i need to connect to the internet, I already have a wireless router

4. Any good child friendly games, I was thinking Monkey Ball and maybe Exite truck, a few threads seem to suggest these are available for about £20 each, any opinions would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help and recommendations,

btw i already have a gamecube so i have a memory card for that and a RGB scart, will that work on the Wii

Cheers,
ASH

1. The Wii comes with 512mb of internal memory for game saves etc which should keep you going without the need for sd cards for a while.

2. The nunchuck is not used THAT much for two player games in my opinion. I've done without the need for a second one so far. Although two are needed for Wii Sports Boxing.

3. I personally use the official USB dongle but wireless routers are fine. Some info on which to use listed here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessRouterChoose.jsp

4. Not tried Monkey Ball but I love Excite Truck and my 10 year old son plays it a fair bit as well. Other than that though Wii Sports gets the most play from my son. Oh and WarioWare is good, simple fun that can be played by any age as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for your replies, I'm really looking forward to it, (exite truck is more for me:thumbsup: ) so how about monkey ball, i did like the old gc version, and where are they £20???

Bit annoyed about the scart cable tho, I assume it comes with composite??

Cheers, ASH

The Gamecube's RGB scart cable won't work as the Wii has a different connection. If you want to use scart then you will have to buy a Wii specific one. I would stick with the official RGB scart cable.

By the way there is no need to post the same thread in two different forums. Just posting once in the general Wii forum would have sufficed. Posting two different threads in different forums means other people may not know what has been answered and what hasn't and it just makes it confusing. You also have the same thread posted here ...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512590

The Gamecube's RGB scart cable won't work as the Wii has a different connection. If you want to use scart then you will have to buy a Wii specific one. I would stick with the official RGB scart cable.

By the way there is no need to post the same thread in two different forums. Just posting once in the general Wii forum would have sufficed. Posting two different threads in different forums means other people may not know what has been answered and what hasn't and it just makes it confusing. You also have the same thread posted here ...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512590

Yeah sorry about that, I posted it here first, then realised it should have been in general, thanks for your reply tho.

You'll love Excite Truck :smashin:
Can't comment on Monkeyball, not played it. You can pick up games in the trading section on here for around £20 or there's that well known auction site, where if you watch the auctions you can get some games at good prices, the buy-it-nows tend to be a bit dearer. Just watch the shipping costs as well though, £2 is ok, but when they're asking for £4 or more they're taking the Wii :rotfl: :rolleyes:

Yes it comes with composite and a scart adapter, though if you've got component input on your TV, grab a component cable (again watch the trading section on here, around £14 del) when you get chance and that will give you a better pic :smashin:

Wii sports is good for all ages, but I found a few of the Wii Play games really 'tricky', so a 4 year old might struggle a bit on some of these games.

My favourite Wii Play game at the moment is the tank game. I play 2 player with my 10 year old, we make a great team until she decides to turn her turret on me towards the end of the level :D

Wii sports is good for all ages, but I found a few of the Wii Play games really 'tricky', so a 4 year old might struggle a bit on some of these games.

I'd think that the 'knitted cow racing' in Wii Play would be great for a 4 year old and laser hockey would probably be a lot of fun for kids too.

i love the knitted cow racing!!! Out of all the games on play I think that is my fave lol

Shaz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom