• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wii and WiFi?

cHk4

Banned
Ok I only have a ethernet modem and computer. Is there a way that I can get a WiFi dongle or something thats USB and connect Wii to Computer via that ? ( I have modem connected to Pc, then have what not connected to PC for net access ) can I do this? Or would I need a WiFi modem? Im so confused I want internew on my Wii :(

patrober

Established Member
Ok I only have a ethernet modem and computer. Is there a way that I can get a WiFi dongle or something thats USB and connect Wii to Computer via that ? ( I have modem connected to Pc, then have what not connected to PC for net access ) can I do this? Or would I need a WiFi modem? Im so confused I want internew on my Wii :(

The easiest route for you would be the usb wifi dongle - you plug it into your usb port on your pc and voila - you have wifi. I think nintendo are bringing out an official one some time next year (?) but there are alternatives already available such as

http://www.chipsworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=14952

P

cHk4

Banned
The easiest route for you would be the usb wifi dongle - you plug it into your usb port on your pc and voila - you have wifi. I think nintendo are bringing out an official one some time next year (?) but there are alternatives already available such as

http://www.chipsworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=14952

P

Thanks mate will see if any places around like pc world supply such a invention!

candi

Established Member

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

You really should consider getting a router instead. It will improve the performance of your PC, make it safer and also mean that you can use your Wii on line without having your PC turned on.

The cost difference is marginal.

Regards,

Steve

cHk4

Banned
Hi

You really should consider getting a router instead. It will improve the performance of your PC, make it safer and also mean that you can use your Wii on line without having your PC turned on.

The cost difference is marginal.

Regards,

Steve

mmm

I have xbox 360 I wanna take online
Nintendo Wii
PS3 when it comes out
PC
Friends when they come over

So what do I need to buy ? Im with NTL and well got a cable modem!
Thanks

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

You are a perfect candidate for a router then!

I'd recommend a Linksys WRT54G which can be picked up for about £35 if you shop around.

Regards,

Steve

cHk4

Banned
Hi

You are a perfect candidate for a router then!

I'd recommend a Linksys WRT54G which can be picked up for about £35 if you shop around.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks alot mate, so does it act as my modem? ( im on 10mb atm going up to 50in the new year ) or does it go modem to router ?

Thanks alot ( so do I need to buy a WiFi network card or? ) Thanks alot mate

alkasteveh

Established Member
No, your ntl modem will still be, erm, the modem. You plug the router into the modem. You can use your existing cable from your computer to the router (if it's close, probably better and cheaper than buying a wireless card) but you Wii will get the wireless from the wireless signal. Also acts a firewall so provides a bit more security too.

addyb

Distinguished Member
mmm

I have xbox 360 I wanna take online
Nintendo Wii
PS3 when it comes out
PC
Friends when they come over

So what do I need to buy ? Im with NTL and well got a cable modem!
Thanks

Im with NTL and ages ago when i got my netgear router it was via a special offer on the ntl/telewest site. Im not sure whether its still going but id give them a call to check!

Netgear WGR614 v6 router and i also bought a netgear WGE 111 gaming adaptor for my 360 which works perfectly!

I can recommend the above router as i havent had any problems with it!
When i set my wii up i simply had to put in my wep security key for my wireless network and that was it!
I now have my laptop, 360, DS and wii all wi fi'd up!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom