• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wii and WiFi Channel Numbers

hpoom

Hi, I have read in lots of threads on here that when people have problems they are advised to change there channel to 1 or 11. I have not tried me Wii yet as it is an xmas present. But when I do plug it in if there is a problem I will not be able to change the channel to 1 or 11. The reason I can't change the channel is because I have only just changed it to 10 to get away from it clashing with everybody elses WiFi in my area. There has been a surge of people getting BT home hubs in my area and they are on 1, 6, and 14. In fact there are 2 on channel 1.

So you see my channel number is picked by what other interferance is in my area (as channels were designed for), so why do I have to have a special channel number for my Wii to work, I just don't get it. Also my DS Lite works regardless of what channel I am on (in fact works better when I am on 10 as less clashing).

bu5ter

Most access points are set to either 1,6 or 11 out of the box as these are the only 3 non overlapping channels....

I have mine set to 6 and it works fine and I really dont see why the Wii would care its not lookiung at the channel just the band and the SSID.

As long as you say the siugnal is strong enough and not colliding with anyone elses to any great extent and to be honest I cant see a couple of pcs in someones house really clogging it up as Ive set these things up for businesses running countless machines.

I may have a dabble with the preamble settings and the performance when in mixed or g mode only as I can see them being greater boundries.

I have had a couple of times where it would not connect first time but i am sure its a issue with either the wii browsers or the online servers themselves as if you try again straight away it works no problem....Other times its fine.

Its early days for Nintendo doing any kind of online service so lets bare with them as it looks like it could be huge looking at the nuimber of tabs available on the dashboard.

bu5ter

Also I did notice there is an MTU setting on eth Wii which I find very odd. Are people setting this as if not it may be something Nintendo have found a potential problem hence its inclusion.

For reference the average ADSL connection should have it set to around 1500 but check your router.

hpoom

As long as you say the siugnal is strong enough and not colliding with anyone elses to any great extent

Thanks for the reply bu5ter, I will stick to 10 then as this is the least colliding and strongest channel I can setup now that all my neighbours have filled the airwaves with WiFi all setup on the common channels.

Thanks

Bursar

Also I did notice there is an MTU setting on eth Wii which I find very odd. Are people setting this as if not it may be something Nintendo have found a potential problem hence its inclusion.

For reference the average ADSL connection should have it set to around 1500 but check your router.

Hmm, I've got an NTL cable connection, and I left my MTU at 0 and everything seems to be working OK on the console. Maybe I'll change it to 1500 and see what happens.

Dickyd

I suspect it is there as a fallback option for Nintendo support to advise you to use as a tool in the future with online gaming, but ONLY if there is a suspition about packet fragmentation cause any issues. Generally MTU is something best left alone as things can get funky when changed.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom