• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wii and Backwards compatibility (hardware and Software)

silvercue

Distinguished Member
I will be getting a Wii and look forward to it.

I have read some great rumours about the wonderful ideas for backwards compatibility for games from older systems (virtual console I think it's called???).....but I have a question:

Will I simply be able to put a Gamecube game in the Wii to play? (I will sell my Gamecube if I can play Mario Kart DD on the Wii).

If I can do that will I also be able to use a Gamecube controller also? Some games may not be ideal for the new controller.

Conn

silvercue said:
I will be getting a Wii and look forward to it.

I have read some great rumours about the wonderful ideas for backwards compatibility for games from older systems (virtual console I think it's called???).....but I have a question:

Will I simply be able to put a Gamecube game in the Wii to play? (I will sell my Gamecube if I can play Mario Kart DD on the Wii).

If I can do that will I also be able to use a Gamecube controller also? Some games may not be ideal for the new controller.

Virtual Console will allow you to download older games (pretty much all of the Nintendo back catalogue and a big chunk of Sega)

Will I simply be able to put a Gamecube game in the Wii to play? - Yes

If I can do that will I also be able to use a Gamecube controller also? - Yes

D

Deleted member 65413

just to add, you can either use the wired controllers or wavebirds.

Conn

Or Congos :D

Still hoping they include the ir reciever for the 'Birds built in....would make the console look far cleaner. May upset the modding addicts ;)

D

Deleted member 65413

I dont think there is the room of the adaptors on the outside of the Wii so they will have to be built into the controller ports.

andytabor

you sure can check this baby out!! god bless nintendo, full proper backwards compatibility!!
Nintendo-revolution5.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom