Wii accident - remote through my telly on Christmas Day - urgent replacement needed..

nick.ballard

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I am really struggling to get my head around everything…. I need to buy a new TV TODAY after pitting a Wii remote through my Toshiba 37” LCD on Christmas day :eek::eek: an “OH MY GOD” moment. No accidental damage cover! :mad:

Have spent a couple of days looking around Curry’s/Comet but my kids wont wait another day for me to make up my mind! Wii sitting idle waiting to find a home :nono:

I have SKY HD but as well as watching HD films/sport etc on SKY I also watch quite a bit of SD content particularly golf and football. Golf is often crap quality as it comes from the USA. I don’t use a HD DVD player or HD console and don’t expect to in the near future!

Do I need 1080p?

Plasma or LCD

Best 40”, 42”, 46(ideal) or 50” (bit big but I can squeeze it in)

Ideally I would like to spend as little as possible but would go to 12-£1300 for the right set. Did see a Samsung 50” plasma in Oxford on Saturday for under £900 which seemed to me a bargain and they had stock then!!

Yesterday I convinced myself that I wanted a Sony LCD 40-46” but was totally bamboozled by all the S,V,W,X variations – Curry’s had a 46” s2050 for under £900 any good? The 46 V3000 also looked great in the shop but was £1699 and they had no stock.

So I just need sensible recommendations LCD vs plasma 720 vs 1080 etc etc.

Help much appreciated . :lease:

Cheers Nick

Best value TVs on sale right now, absolute bargain (and they should have good image quality too)
http://www.zettavolt.co.uk/Panasonic-TV/TH42PZ70.html
http://www.zettavolt.co.uk/Panasonic-TV/TH50PZ70.html

EDIT: You don't use to use HD much? Might want to get a PX70 rather than a PZ.

http://www.zettavolt.co.uk/Panasonic-TV/TH42PX70.html
http://www.zettavolt.co.uk/Panasonic-TV/TH50PX70.html

SD should look better on the PX, HD will look better on the PZ. As you're looking for cheap, I'd probably go for a 42PX70.

Nick

Get the Panny TH-42PZ70 from Curry's for £899 or if you can wait one day get it from John Lewis tomorrow for the same price but including the JL free five year warranty.

It's a great price for a great screen (google for the reviews) and is really the best bang for the buck at the moment IMHO. It's proper 1080p, is plasma so you get proper(ish) blacks compared to what LCD blacks look like and Panny have a good reputation in the market.

Good luck but personally I'd wait the extra day (or are any JL's open today?).

Ignore

Nick

Get the Panny TH-42PZ70 from Curry's for £899 or if you can wait one day get it from John Lewis tomorrow for the same price but including the JL free five year warranty.

It's a great price for a great screen (google for the reviews) and is really the best bang for the buck at the moment IMHO. It's proper 1080p, is plasma so you get proper(ish) blacks compared to what LCD blacks look like and Panny have a good reputation in the market.

Good luck but personally I'd wait the extra day (or are any JL's open today?).

Funnily enough I had just come to the same conclusion that the PANASONIC TH42PZ70B 42 at £899 from Curry’s looks the best buy by miles.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Cheers Nick

Just a word of warning, Currys have practically no stock of any Panasonic TVs.

If I was in your situation I would go for plasma, much harder screens so a wiimote should just bounce off ;)

No accidental damage cover! :mad:

You don't need accidental damage cover to claim for this, a standard contents insurance will automatically cover accidental damage to audio and visual equipment (providing you have contents cover of course).

You don't need accidental damage cover to claim for this, a standard contents insurance will automatically cover accidental damage to audio and visual equipment (providing you have contents cover of course).

I have checked - it was not a named item... I will call again. Thanks for that :clap:

I was going to buy a pana TH-42PZ70, but couldn't find a curry's that had one in. Comet still selling at £1099, and won't price match as currys have none in stock. John Lewis would be best bet, unless you go for the samsung 50". I would, but really can't fit one in :(.
Now looking at pioneer PDP4280XD though :D

No Panasonic's available anywhere....

What about the Samsung PS42Q96HDX? (or the 97) the 42" is very cheap at £699 and available the 50" is also available at £999 not 1080p though.

What about the Samsung PS42Q96HDX? (or the 97) the 42" is very cheap at £699 and available the 50" is also available at £999 not 1080p though.

I paid 850 delivered from Dixons for the 50" Samsung with a code.

I know what I would be saying to my kids if they weren't prepared to wait a couple of days to save me 150 quid.

Nick

Where are you based?

Nick

Where are you based?

I am near Swindon in North Wilts

Have found the Samsung 42" in Oxford for £699 or the 50" in Swindon for £999trouble is that that the 50" wont fit in my car.

Bagsey - what are the dimentions of the 50" I am particularly interested in the height with the stand. I have 33" clearance.

Bagsey - what are the dimentions of the 50" I am particularly interested in the height with the stand. I have 33" clearance.

just measured it. from the bottom of the stand to the top of the tv is 33.5" exactly

Doesn't need to be a named item to claim

Tony

Some policies designate items over a certain value as 'high value items' and will only accept claims for them if they are individually listed on the policy.

Gives them a chance to raise your premium accordingly as well :)

I paid 850 delivered from Dixons for the 50" Samsung with a code.

I know what I would be saying to my kids if they weren't prepared to wait a couple of days to save me 150 quid.
I would rather wait a few days and save some money than have my children dictate what I do.

Well I didn’t wait - I drove to Oxford and bought the Samsung PS42Q96HD PDP for £699. This Curry’s store had almost run out of telly’s it’s been so busy since Christmas.

Anyhow had to decant the panel as the box wouldn’t fit in the Volvo but it sat nicely in the back wedged in with the seats up…

Home now – connected up, feet up watching the Ryder Cup review on Sky HD. What can I say I am absolutely gob-smacked how can you get so much for so little. If someone had said to me that it cost double the price I would have thought it was worth it…

The quality of SD is much better than my old and now mortally wounded Toshiba WLT660 from both analogue and digital and HD looks at least as good (probably better). The shiny black screen looks a million dollars especially in our contemporary sitting room with lost of shiny black and white already. The 42" fits perfectly - the 50" would have looked massive...

I was expecting the plasma not to be as bright as the LCD but quite honestly it looks brighter.

A fantastic result and thanks for all the help and comments – I would have bought the Panasonic if anyone had any stock but I feel very happy with the non 1080p Samsung that delivers in spades. :clap::thumbsup::smashin:

Cheers Nick

Another convert. Mossst excellent... </Mr. Burns>

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom