Wii Accessing Home Network - Possible?

L

Laskina

Love the Photo Channel, hating the hassle of transfering everything to a SD card.

Any ideas of how/if you can get your Wii to see files on other devices on a network?

Haven't got my Wii yet so can't give much advice, but, can you 'see' the wii on your network? Presumably the Wii has an IP address either fixed or dynamic and will be visible on the network. Therefore you should be able to send data to it...

Presumably the Wii has an IP address either fixed or dynamic and will be visible on the network.

It's DHCP - and from the 10 minutes I had with mine yesterday, doesnt appear to be a way to make it Static.

# IP Address Device Name MAC Address
1 192.168.1.4 UNKNOWN 00:xx:AB:xx:xx:xx

You can give it a static IP address if you go through the IP setup, but I don't expect it will help a great deal :(

Wait for a mod chip to come out. Bound to happen sooner or later and pretty sure they'll be trying to cover wireless streaming of data across home networks.

Love the Photo Channel, hating the hassle of transfering everything to a SD card.

Any ideas of how/if you can get your Wii to see files on other devices on a network?
When the Opera web browser comes out you'll be able to see any other computers on your network. If you set up one with a web server it would be pretty easy to look at your photos on the Wii. The difficult part is normally setting up the web server if you are on Windows, on a Mac you tick one box and you have a web server.
I can see people coming out with software to make the stuff on your computer accessible from your Wii. I think the main limit is going to be what the opera browser allows us to do, but since it will definitely handle flash we'll be able to access photos, converted videos and mp3s.

I think right now you can also email yourself photos. Set up your email address as a contact on the Wii and you'll receive an email message asking you to confimr if you want to receive emails from that Wii user. After you've done that you should be able to email the Wii a message including photos. (I say should as I only did the adding address part before I packed it away fro Xmas and didn't try the sending part.)

You could always reserve an DHCP IP address for the Wii via its MAC address on your router?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom