Question WiFi vs Bluetooth Music Streamer Receiver

Witterings

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using a Logitech Bluetooth music streamer but was looking at changing to a WiFi based one like a Neet or similar mainly for the extended range compared to Bluetooth and also the better quality including optical digital out.

A quick query though, if I'm using my laptop with music on it I'd have to disconnect the WiFi from the router / internet in essence losing connection to the internet and connect to the music streamer instead???
This would mean I couldn't play music that's stored on the laptop through the device and look through internet pages at the same time of if I was looking at say youtube and playing a video you couldn't have the sound going through the device ...... have I got that correct or have I got my wires crossed somewhere along the way???

A WiFi streamer will use your network to connect, in general it's not a direct WiFi connection you use.

You should take a look at the Chromecast Audio as it ticks all of your boxes for £30.

A quick query though, if I'm using my laptop with music on it I'd have to disconnect the WiFi from the router / internet in essence losing connection to the internet and connect to the music streamer instead???
This would mean I couldn't play music that's stored on the laptop through the device and look through internet pages at the same time of if I was looking at say youtube and playing a video you couldn't have the sound going through the device ...... have I got that correct or have I got my wires crossed somewhere along the way???

No. These devices can be connected either to home network (to router like as laptop or phone) which is the preferred method or directly to it's "hotspot SSID" (which is like device acting itself as router). I've got similar to Neet and even when connected directly to it's hotspot (for accessing device's setup page), still get internet as it is effectively acting like repeater.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom