• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wifi to boost T-Mobile signal on BB9900?

Ayrton

Established Member
Just switched over to T-Mobile to use a Bold 9900. The problem that I am having is that the signal in my house is patchy. Mostly I have a signal, but it is pretty variable, and it can drop out to 'emergency calls only' depending where I am in the house, or what the weather is between me and the mast, etc.

There is a perfectly good signal 10-20 metres away from my house, and a better one upstairs than down, so it's not as though the signal is not there at all, it's just my house really.

Spoke to T-Mobile about it yesterday and they said the BB can use wifi to pick up a bit of the slack if I'm happy to have wifi on all the time. In the house, yes I am. However looking on tinterweb, I can't find a conclusive answer, but plenty of bits and bobs about something called UMA which is restricted to Orange in the UK. Is this true?

So is there a way for me to boost my T-Mobile in the house with wifi or not?

I spoke to the people who sold me the phone, who are not T-Mobile, and they are happy to cancel this sim and give me another if it helps, but presumably this offer is going to be time limited to the cooling off period so I've got to hurry up and get an answer if I want to change providers.

D

Deleted member 27989

I don't know about T-Mobile and their support for UMA. I am on vodafone (and staying on Vodafone) because their do sure signal. It is basically your own 3G mast in your house, routed out via your broadband to Vodafone to then leave their network. A femto cell. It was a one off payment of £50 and my online account comes with a control panel where I can add other vodafone mobile numbers in order to give them access to additional strength.

Its seamless and has been working very well for me for many years now.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom