Wifi Streaming

So currently have a Denon AV Receiver with Kef surround speakers, while I was happy with the surround performance, Music was not the best particularily with my turntable. Having sought advice from several different places I have now purchased a seperate Hifi amp and speakers purely for music. I got a Marantz PM6006UK amp and Dali Spectre 2 Speakers. I realise its not top of the range hifi but it definately is a big improvment over the Denon/Kef set up. However I am unable to get access to my Extensive CD rips from my PC which is connected to my network. I initially thought I could just hook up the digital output from my TV and connect that to optical input on the amp, and, while that did work, I have to have the TV and the Denon on to be able to access that. So I looked into a network streamer. Not really being able to afford the several hundred pounds most seem to cost I looked at cheaper options. I came across a Goodmans Module Wifi Streamer for a cheap £15 new inc postage. what drew me to this was it could not only stream via DLNA but also can play back via Spotify. The other thing that drew me to it was it has a Optical Diginal output. AM I right in thinking that by using the optical out then this box is basically just moving the file (Flac) from the pc to the amp's DAC to do the processing so it's irrelevant how good the box is as I believe the PM6006UK has a fairly decent DAC? Is this correct?

I also came accross a used QED Uplay streamer on Ebay. It's a few years old now but got decent reviews and has a Wolfeson DAC which, with my limited knowlege, is a decent DAC. However this doesn't do Spotify and is an analoge output to the amp. I bought this as it was only £13 inc postage so I thought if the Goodmans didn't work very well this would be backup.

My questions then are am I right to think the Optical out of the Goodmans will move purely the datafrom the PC with the Marantz doing the processing or would the QED give better sound quality with a perhaps better DAC.

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
am I right to think the Optical out of the Goodmans will move purely the data from the PC with the Marantz doing the processing
Yes.
or would the QED give better sound quality with a perhaps better DAC.
Only one way to find out. ;)

The potential downfall of the Goodmans unit is, as with any streaming device, the quality of the app & the ability to support gapless playback. The Amazon reviews don't look promising with 27% 1*! It will be interesting to hear your findings.

The goodmans uses the Allpay Jukebox app which seems to work but is basic, however it can use any app that supports it so am using Hi-fi cast, this works on both units. What limited reviews I could find seemed to mark it down for the funcionality and difficulty getting it to work. Thankfully I have had no issues with that. Was just more trying to assertain which would be the best sounding. Having compared them both its very difficult to see much of a difference. I'd say the QED is slightly warmer but putting that down to the onboard conversion and analogue output. As for gapless I'm not sure, I don't have much that would really need it but will test it out.

larkone

The HiFiCast app sorts out the issue of gapless but requires the device and the app to be on at all times because the streaming is routed through the phone/tablet and then onto the streamer. This is not reliant on the streamer supporting gapless but is reliant on the app and tablet/phone being on and in wireless range. This can be an issue if you are using a phone to run the app and will run down the battery fairly quickly.

The other option is to try BubbleUPNP - the phone /tablet is just a control point that instructs the Goodman or QED to go and get and play the stream. At that point the phone/tablet could be shut down and the music stream would continue until it ends or you instruct it to play something else. Gapless then becomes an issue if neither streamer supports it. This advantage is that this has minimal impact on battery life.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I'd say the QED is slightly warmer but putting that down to the onboard conversion and analogue output.
Yes, you're just comparing the onboard DAC in the QED with that in the Marantz. No right or wrong, just whichever you prefer.