WiFi Streamer Recommendations

RoboDog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was hoping to get some WiFi music streaming recommendations please. My current setup is a Marantz PM6003 and a pair of B&W DM 601 S2 bookshelf speakers. I currently stream music from my laptop (personal music collection and YouTube videos) to a Logitech Bluetooth receiver that is connected to my amp. I've recently been informed that I would get a significant improvement in sound quality if I switched from my Bluetooth receiver to a WiFi music streamer that connects to my amp. If I were to go down this route then could you please give me some suggestions? My budget is £200 - £300.

Note that I am trying to keep the interface as simple as it currently is, where all I have to do is play music from my laptop which is always connected to the Bluetooth receiver. No unnecessary apps etc.

Thank you :)

Hi All,

Was hoping to get some WiFi music streaming recommendations please. My current setup is a Marantz PM6003 and a pair of B&W DM 601 S2 bookshelf speakers. I currently stream music from my laptop (personal music collection and YouTube videos) to a Logitech Bluetooth receiver that is connected to my amp. I've recently been informed that I would get a significant improvement in sound quality if I switched from my Bluetooth receiver to a WiFi music streamer that connects to my amp. If I were to go down this route then could you please give me some suggestions? My budget is £200 - £300.

Note that I am trying to keep the interface as simple as it currently is, where all I have to do is play music from my laptop which is always connected to the Bluetooth receiver. No unnecessary apps etc.

Thank you :)
If you are just playing from your laptop are you able to plug the laptop into your amp. A USB dac between both would be a very cost effective way of getting excellent sound from your laptop to your amp.

If it needs to be wireless have a look at the Yamaha wxad 10 for a start and see does it do everything you need

Thanks muljao. Definitely want to go down the wireless route. Unfortunately a wired connection isn't an option.

The Yamaha streamer looks like a good solution. Just one question - would paying more £££ potentially give me better sound quality? I'm asking because the Yamaha streamer is below my budget. If not then I'm happy to go with it. Want to emphasize that I'm not interested in additional functionalities that wouldn't be of use to me. All I want is something that lets me seamlessly stream music via WiFi (not Bluetooth) from my laptop (YouTube videos) to my amp with the best possible sound quality and without having to use any additional apps etc.

Thank you :):)

Thanks muljao. Definitely want to go down the wireless route. Unfortunately a wired connection isn't an option.

The Yamaha streamer looks like a good solution. Just one question - would paying more £££ potentially give me better sound quality? I'm asking because the Yamaha streamer is below my budget. If not then I'm happy to go with it. Want to emphasize that I'm not interested in additional functionalities that wouldn't be of use to me. All I want is something that lets me seamlessly stream music via WiFi (not Bluetooth) from my laptop (YouTube videos) to my amp with the best possible sound quality and without having to use any additional apps etc.

Thank you :):)
In theory paying more can yield improvement. However, this Yamaha is very simple and just does a wireless and dac conversion. By all accounts its sound quality is excellent.

Darko has mentioned on his site the "Chromecast audio" replacement, it's a Wiim mini, have a look about it.

You said you don't want apps, many music programs that are on your computer will see these devices due DNLA, there can be issues casting YouTube to devices wirelessly because YouTube wants to send picture as well when you cast (just something to keep in mind).

Another unit that might suit you is a blue sound node.

Also, not quite what you asked but ifi do a Bluetooth receiver for about 150 pounds. I never encouraged Bluetooth hifi but got one if these as a guy was selling local and this thing is Bluetooth sound at another level. It might be an option if you want good sound but stick to your current way if doing things

Darko has mentioned on his site the "Chromecast audio" replacement, it's a Wiim mini, have a look about it.
Thats an interesting product, just purchased a Rasberry Pi as my wireless streaming solution, but the article says this will do Airplay2 and Tidal connect. Only does Toslink out though so would need to replace my USB only DAC so not a simple alternative.

Fustrating that this can do Airplay2 and Tidal Connect yet none of the Pi OS can do this without a subscription.

Thats an interesting product, just purchased a Rasberry Pi as my wireless streaming solution, but the article says this will do Airplay2 and Tidal connect. Only does Toslink out though so would need to replace my USB only DAC so not a simple alternative.

Fustrating that this can do Airplay2 and Tidal Connect yet none of the Pi OS can do this without a subscription.
TBH I think the raspberry pi has great potential if you have an electrical/software diy side. I don't mind a bit, but it's a bit too much faffing around imo, but those who enjoy it swear by them

TBH I think the raspberry pi has great potential if you have an electrical/software diy side. I don't mind a bit, but it's a bit too much faffing around imo, but those who enjoy it swear by them
I love my pi streamer, but I love messing around even though I can't program / code and heavily reliant on finding guides. Looking at modding my current arrangement to include a lcd matrix to display file type / bit rate etc, as my touch screen doesnt show this.

Teufel Connector if you can find one.

Teufel Connector if you can find one.
I have two of these, they're great. I tried to buy a third one about a year ago, it's discontinued, there is a newer version that gains Bluetooth but it's over doubled in price

Yeah they missed a trick getting rid of it. I pondered swapping mine out, but it does everything I want (besides looking pretty).

Yeah they missed a trick getting rid of it. I pondered swapping mine out, but it does everything I want (besides looking pretty).
I have one behind an amp in my kitchen/dining room part, can't even see it, the one in the main sitting room is beside the amp, I don't mind the look of it. I think I paid 120 euros each (circa 100 sterling), they (to me) sound fab

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom