Wifi Speakers - can i connect different brands and or connect to amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Audioegg, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Audioegg

Audioegg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

Apologies if these are noob questions...

Can someone clarify or point me in the direction of:
    1. Can you get different brands of wifi speakers to work together? E.g. I have a couple of samsung R1s and I'd like to combine these with something with a bit more depth.
    2. Is there away to get my old amp set up to operate with the R1s? I know you can get boxes that plug in to the amp and allow Bluetooth/wifi connections, but would these work with my existing wifi set up?
    3. The samsung R1s don't have any kind of audio out that I can plug in the amp. Does anyone know of any resources that would point me in the direction of opening the thing up and effectively piggy back of the output of the actual speaker. I used to do this back in the day when you could get to wires and effectively daisychain from one to the next - I realise that this is a bad idea because it sucks the power etc, but any electronics buffs out there that are able to explain how this might be achieved without doing this, would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    All this probably best posted in the streaming forum but...
    1. Simple answer (assuming you want multi-room playback) is "no". To improve "depth" either buy a R3, R5, R7 or move to another brand.
    2. If you have an audio output (e.g tape or pre-out) on your amplifier then you could connect this to a Bluetooth audio transmitter (about £20) to send the audio to your R1. The only issue may be latency if you try to listen to both the amp and R1 at the same time.
    3. You would probably destroy the R1 in the process. Just buy a Bluetooth (receiver) adapter and connect to a spare input on your amp (about £20).
    A Yamaha R-N303D MusicCast streaming amplifier can be had for £200 so with the addition of some Yamaha MusicCast speakers (or other MusicCast products) you have a more flexible system. If you move up to a R-N403D you get a Bluetooth transmitter built in so it could send audio to your existing Samsung R1 speakers (not sure about the audio latency).

You could also look at the Audio Pro range of wireless speakers for more "depth". As they also do a streaming adapter which you could add to an existing amplifier for a full multi-room experience.

It all depends on how much you can afford to spend and the sound quality you want.

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    The Samsung uses a proprietary system so won't play nicely with other systems.
    What do you want to achieve with your system, if it's multiroom synced playback so playing the same music, synced together on your speakers won't work with different brands.

For connecting to an amp I'd usually recommend a Chromecast Audio, theyre chuffing brilliant and I have several of them plugged into various amps and even standalone speakers around my house. If your Samsung speakers have an input you could even plug a CCA into them and ignore the Samsung app completly. I've got a really old B&W zepellin which wasn't being used as it was made for old iPods with the dock connector, luckily it has an aux input on the back so I plugged in a CCA and use it exclusively as an extra zone for my system.